Thanks Thanks:  9
Likes Likes:  45
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anti-Slip Rear End Question

1. Top Of Page | #11

User Info Menu

Anti-Slip Rear End Question

Ha! I probably felt like you when I bought my 2017. I test drove one that had everything I wanted, Anti-spin included. Well the wife is 5 foot nothing and needed steps so I picked a different one with the exact same equipment, color and all that or so I thought , but only with side steps. I also assumed all Laramie's came standard with Anti-spin. Well I was in for a surprise when my fancy new truck can't even make it up my gravel drive way! It's a one tire fryer! 2 years later and I am still saving for 4:10s and a locker!

Sam G
    2017 Silver 2500 Mega/DRD Tunes/Bilstein 5160s/
    Leveled/Jamo exhaust/Bakflip f1/

2. Likes Power247, watersupply189, SyN liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #12

User Info Menu

Nothing like spending $60K for a 1x1!

2017 Bighorn (Delmonico Red & Chrome) CC-HD2500-4WD-6.7L-3:42w/Anti-Spin
    Oil: -SHELL- Rotella T6 5W-40 & T5 15W-40 combo w/LF16035
    68RFE/BW44-46/Power Steering: -Red Line- C+ ATF
    Frontend & Rearend: -Red Line- SAE GL-5 75W-90NS
    Many Small Mods: Interior & Exterior
    Mileage: 28,541

4. Likes watersupply189, toyota_mdt_tech liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #13

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by KiloCummins04 View Post
    I think I'm about the only one running a locker in the rear and air locker in the front
    Not the only guy locked up!

08 r2500 quad cab 4x4 - Ugly Betty
    Deleted, AFE , 5" strait pipe , DRD Tuned
    68RFE, bonded, pressure kit , Drum, Chanel plate, ultra tight tripple
    Carli 2.5" King Shocks, Full Deaver rear
    F/R 4340 shafts, locked up, Freespin, 4.10's
    17" Icon Rebound Pros w/ 37" Baja Pro's
    IronCross bumpers F/R, 12k winch, BedSlide, Canopy , etc.

6. Likes watersupply189, AK Bob liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #14

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroSignal View Post
    Are you guys using any type/brand of LSD Friction Modifier with your gear oil? I've read conflicting info on the topic. I once owned a Ford that would get super cranky without running Motorcraft friction modifier in the rear end.
    No needed on the Gleason system.

2010 Dodge 2500 SLT CCLB 4WD G56 Cummins 6.7 turbo diesel, 3.42 LSD. Add ons: Banks Monster Ram, Grid heater delete, Spyntec Free Spin Kit with Warn hubs (62672) Laramie Alloys (includes spare), "Powerwagon" Flares, Powerwagon bed decal (4X4 off road) OE Ram mudflaps, OE Slush Mats, OE Clearance Lamps, Geno's shift knob in black, 5" DPF back with muffler delete, spray in bedliner, OE brake controller, Durafit Seat Covers, Pro Tech Toolbox, Speed Turtle, Upfitter switches, Ham Radios, 8 Antennas, headache rack, emergency light bar,....

8. Likes Corkey, watersupply189, AK Bob liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #15

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SyN View Post
    The anti-slip gear set within the AAM 11.5" Anti-Slip differential does Not require the Additive!
    It's not a clutch type design.
    The AAM - is a trac-rite differential (helical gear)

Most gear oils today already have it added within the formulation.
    I was assured by the AAM tech I talked to said - Using a gear oil with the Additive already added will NOT cause any issues what so ever with their anti-slip design.
    Keeping the unit serviced @ the proper intervals was more important!
    He went so far as to recommend - (synthetic gear oil).

If anyone disagrees with any of the information above-- please step in & post your opinion/thoughts.
    Dead on and I would add, the mfg calls for 75W90 full synthetic gear oil in front and rear diff, this is the GL5 stuff.

2010 Dodge 2500 SLT CCLB 4WD G56 Cummins 6.7 turbo diesel, 3.42 LSD. Add ons: Banks Monster Ram, Grid heater delete, Spyntec Free Spin Kit with Warn hubs (62672) Laramie Alloys (includes spare), "Powerwagon" Flares, Powerwagon bed decal (4X4 off road) OE Ram mudflaps, OE Slush Mats, OE Clearance Lamps, Geno's shift knob in black, 5" DPF back with muffler delete, spray in bedliner, OE brake controller, Durafit Seat Covers, Pro Tech Toolbox, Speed Turtle, Upfitter switches, Ham Radios, 8 Antennas, headache rack, emergency light bar,....

10. Likes Corkey, watersupply189, AK Bob liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #16

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SyN View Post
    OK I feel much better about things right now.
    By the research I’ve done this morning - I honesty believe I do have the Limited Slip or anti-slip gear set in my Ram.

Took the JUDGE out for a 15 mile run on the interstate 65 to 85 mph.
    Come back & parked her in the garage - let her sit for 20 minutes & thankfully no leaks - thanks due to the (Lube Locker) gasket that was used.

I just want to point out that it took two cans of CRC brake cleaner to get the gear set looking like new again. It was covered in the same gray/black film as the inside of the OEM cover.
    Down below is a pic of the stock cover that was taken off with only 6920 miles.
    That grey stuff is normal with a hypoid gearset, the heavier you pull, the more grey you get. So service it often if your doing heavy stuff. A little magnet will help you too. Get a magnetic fill plug. Should only see fine filings, no chips or chunks.

12. Likes Corkey, watersupply189, AK Bob liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #17

User Info Menu

You'll come to love Amsoils squeeze pack for their quarts.

It's probably the most satisfying to use on gear oil changes.

OP, did you use any thread sealant on the two side plugs and the top fill plug on the PML?

I neglected to use any teflon tape on the top fill plug and found I'd get some oil misting on the right side of the cover.

I used teflon on the side plugs, the bottom drain is torqued correctly, and no leaks on the differential cover bolts even though I reused the factory gasket (next change, I am going to put lube lockers on the front and rear).

14. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12