Thanks Thanks:  22
Likes Likes:  69
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Oil change intervals after fully deleted

1. Top Of Page | #11
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

Re: Oil change intervals after fully deleted

the quality of filter, the type oil (sync or natural), your driving / use depends a lot. Oil doesn't really wears out, it's the chemicals blended in that changes, degrades and wears out. In the past they use to reclaim the oil, reprocess and sell it again. But it then has to be named as recycled. Being classed as recycled left the sales to low to keep doing. Plus with these speedy lube places telling everyone they need to change their oil every 3k, people fall into that trap.

There have been documentation of big rig trucks getting 100k out of an oil change. Those that go that amount did oil samples at a regular bases.
    And why would Cummins say 15k in the manuals ?
    Yet I know people that do it every 5k no matter what.
    I go when the sample tells me it's going towards the limitation, or when I go long enough I get nervous.

You can do the 15k without any hesitation. Just how much do you want to spend each year ?

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

2. Thanks watersupply189, Daniel diesel thanked for this post
  3. Top Of Page | #12

User Info Menu

Hum maybe I should do the oil test samples. I only average about 36,000 to 37,000 a year on my truck and change it about three to four times a year. Any time the evic shows the oil life below 35% I do an oil change. Use the Mopar/cummins filter and valvoline premium blue oil.

4. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #13

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by david3gen View Post
    Agree with @watersupply189 on this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I change it every 2 years now, With just a filter change in between. @F350Cummins and I just did mine. The oil was just turning black. About 18K

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

6. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, david3gen liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #14

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JSPulliam21 View Post
    I change mine based on the evic request. It is normally about 5k. Used oil analysis has been great, but I haven't tried extending. On my old 98 I went 12k with UOA for security. Where does the 15k come from?

2012 Ram 3500 crew cab 4x4 auto deleted Mini Maxx studded on 35's
    The manual.

Quote Originally Posted by .44mag View Post
    Hum maybe I should do the oil test samples. I only average about 36,000 to 37,000 a year on my truck and change it about three to four times a year. Any time the evic shows the oil life below 35% I do an oil change. Use the Mopar/cummins filter and valvoline premium blue oil.
    Are you hot shotting? 35% 4x a year definitely suggests extreme use

Unpopular opinion: People are ENTIRELY too **** about oil change frequency. These engines are built to work, they are built to last, and as long as you follow the manual you will never have an issue. (Those of you that live in extreme climates and/or are working their engines on the heavy side consistently, follow the guidelines in your diesel supplement)

On my 5th gen, I will pull the plug at 15k as I did with my 4th gen because there is exactly zero reason to do it before that. If you're deleted, running a FASS, & have a bypass you literally have no reason to change your oil in advance of like 30K unless you are working your truck 24/7.

8. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #15

User Info Menu

I do not hot shot. I tow my camper and commute mostly.

10. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #16

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JSPulliam21 View Post
    I do not hot shot. I tow my camper and commute mostly.

That still sounds extremely excessive. I could see 2x at 37K but double that would suggest extreme loads/conditions above and beyond mileage alone.

12. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #17

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RamIt View Post
    The manual.

Unpopular opinion: People are ENTIRELY too **** about oil change frequency. These engines are built to work, they are built to last, and as long as you follow the manual you will never have an issue. (Those of you that live in extreme climates and/or are working their engines on the heavy side consistently, follow the guidelines in your diesel supplement)

On my 5th gen, I will pull the plug at 15k as I did with my 4th gen because there is exactly zero reason to do it before that. If you're deleted, running a FASS, & have a bypass you literally have no reason to change your oil in advance of like 30K unless you are working your truck 24/7.
    Well said

S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

14. Thanks RamIt, watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes RamIt, watersupply189 liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #18

User Info Menu

That still sounds extremely excessive. I could see 2x at 37K but double that would suggest extreme loads/conditions above and beyond mileage alone.
    There's no reason to be an al with oil changes. The reason for changes is because of the additives breaking down, not because it looks dirty. The modern chemistry lets those additives last lots longer, more so than back in the 60's and 70's. Cummins had it pretty well figured out. Actually, the intervals are longer on your trucks than the early 3rd gens at 5K. Since I use T6 and dual filters, I can save myself 120 bucks.

I have a dual filter setup. I change them once between changes. Oil filters tend to let impurities pass through when they are saturated. My dual system, is not a bypass, the like of which I never agreed with. I tried one of those, but found a dual filter system kept the oil cleaner looking, longer.

Bottom line is, just change the filter mid way of the oils life expectancy.

16. Likes RamIt, watersupply189 liked this post
  17. Top Of Page | #19

User Info Menu

The manual.

Daily drive it, tow regularly with 50/50 on /off road towing. No don't hot shot. Got enough to do on my own.

18. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  19. Top Of Page | #20

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by .44mag View Post
    Daily drive it, tow regularly with 50/50 on /off road towing. No don't hot shot. Got enough to do on my own.
    I'm still not understanding how you're running the oil life indicator down that fast.

Even with what you're suggesting here, shouldn't be heavy enough usage to necessitate a 4x a year oil change.

Only thing I can say to that is if you're towing around max weight, which at that point I could see where your computer is calculating the oil life from.

2021 3500 Mega HO DRW

20. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast