Thanks Thanks:  11
Likes Likes:  27
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Turbo Actuator Operation

1. Top Of Page | #11

User Info Menu

Re: Turbo Actuator Operation

My 2015 started the same way done it off and on for 6mo turbo finally stuck, went with a borgwarner 64.5 non VGT direct fit from high tech turbo.

No EB doesn't bother me do all my stopping with trailer brakes just liked the way the EB sounds.

Original brake pads 93500 miles.

2. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #12

User Info Menu

Not an approved fix in California.

Won't pass smog.

4. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #13

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by watersupply189 View Post
    Just curious why a lot of folks don’t use or like using the EB on their trucks?
    I leave mine on all the time. I have 65,000 miles on my truck and my brake pads look practically new.
    I think it’s one of the best features on these trucks.

2016 Ram Laramie 3500, G56, 6.7, MM3 by Double R Diesel, Rough Country Leveling, 35x12.50 Nitto G2, HID headlights, Morimoto LED fogs plus a whole lot more!
    Me too.

This here’s one problem I’m hoping to avoid.

Good stuff.... Truckers bring it

6. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
  7. Top Of Page | #14
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by K3n357 View Post
    how many miles are on the turbo? its prolly an actuator issue when it heats up it stops communicating and then will get stuck the the position it was last in which is bad for the headgasket so be careful about that. the pcm wont detect thats theres a issue at first it will eventually throw a code after a couple days. you dont need a whole new turbo. Test the actuator and if its bad then get it rebuilt. i have this same issue but i dont use my engine brake so i unplugged the actuator so it stays open while i wait to buy a new turbo kit
    It’s ok to just unplug and run it that way?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #15

User Info Menu

Just replace it.

@Geno's Garage sells one by City Diesel.

For the price it is a new unit. I just replaced mine in my 2013. I had the same problem but after driving it last night I think it has been fixed.

You just need to make sure that vanes move full movement still and that the mounting surface of the actuator is not all rusted and pitted.

They rust and pit up and then leak into the turbo and actuator, destroying the vane mechanism.

I installed mine after cleaning the surface with a red fiber wheel. I then sealed it with the blue hylomar sealant.

2013 2500 6.7 cummins crew cab. white and stock as can be
    using Tapatalk

10. Thanks watersupply189, REPUBLIC_OF_TEXAS thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, AK Bob, Power247 liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #16

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sycoink View Post
    It’s ok to just unplug and run it that way?

its up to you. ive had no issues with mine unplugged for around 8 months. just it'll be like a non VGT turbo. in stop and go you'll need to use a little more throttle to get it moving since the turbo inst spooled up instantly. so drive ability will be a little less and you'll have a cel light on. im currently doing a 2nd gen swap now

12. Likes watersupply189, Twalt1687 liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #17
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by K3n357 View Post
    its up to you. ive had no issues with mine unplugged for around 8 months. just it'll be like a non VGT turbo. in stop and go you'll need to use a little more throttle to get it moving since the turbo inst spooled up instantly. so drive ability will be a little less and you'll have a cel light on. im currently doing a 2nd gen swap now
    If you unplug it how do you know if it’s open or closed? Because isn’t the issue it not opening?

14. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #18

I liked my EB when I had it, but again this is my 3rd 6.7L and they have all been 2nd Gen swapped.

Not knocking anyone but once you have the simplicity of of a fixed vein turbo as well as reliability it out weighs the pros of the EB.

I won't get into the cons of EB LOL its a guy looking for actuators hourly on most forums and Facebook and with companies like BD you can now throw an EB into a fixed vein turbo setup and its a stand alone operation so it doesn't affect turbo.

2018 2500, G56, SSSB3600, Arp625 Head studs, Arp Manifold studs,BD Diesel FMW 467.7 2nd gen swapped, MM3 Custom tuning by Ray, Ceramic Pro Gold, Toyo Mt 33x12.50x20, Hostile Sprocket 20x10 -19, Fass 165, DDP 150 sticks,10mm exergy stroker pump, Bd Throttle Booster, Money Pit! The fass165 150 sticks and 10mm pump did ok but was running out of rail for anyone interested. It's now gonna have DDP 100%'s, DDP 12mm pump and a FASS 250gph

16. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
  17. Top Of Page | #19

User Info Menu

I know this is an older post but I definitely would not suggest just unplugging the actuator.

I tried it on mine just for the hell of it and no boost @ idle or giving a few small revs just as i expected would happen.

I mean if the actuators sticking anyway plus will it not be stuck in the closed position on startup if you just unplug the actuator?

Nothing to tell it to open right?

My truck was also throwing u0106 so I deleted with raceme ultra and cel/dtc has not showed up since but still replacing with holset reman turbo/actuator just to be sure.

2014 Ram 3500 Reg. Cab SLT [Cab & Chassis] ,FULLY deleted-RaceMe Ultra, Pusher 3.5 mega intake, S&B CAI, 4" straight exhaust.

18. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  19. Top Of Page | #20
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 14C&C_Flat View Post
    I know this is an older post but I definitely would not suggest just unplugging the actuator.

I tried it on mine just for the hell of it and no boost @ idle or giving a few small revs just as i expected would happen.

I mean if the actuators sticking anyway plus will it not be stuck in the closed position on startup if you just unplug the actuator?

Nothing to tell it to open right?

My truck was also throwing u0106 so I deleted with raceme ultra and cel/dtc has not showed up since but still replacing with holset reman turbo/actuator just to be sure.
    Mine had been unplugged since October of 19’.

It still builds boost just fine just acting like a non VGT meaning not a lot of boost on the low end which does suck.

I’m about to pull the trigger on a @Geno's Garage unit here soon.

20. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12