Thanks Thanks:  11
Likes Likes:  27
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Turbo Actuator Operation

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Turbo Actuator Operation

OK...So I am getting a U010C code which I can clear and it stays off for a day or so before coming back on.
    The code is loss of communication with the turbo actuator. I don't see where it could be intermittent with all the connections secure?
    I wonder just how the actuator sends these codes.
    1. Is the actuator being jammed by the moving vanes in the turbo being clogged and thereby sending a over amp draw?
    2. Is the actuator shorting out internally?
    3. Is the PCM acting up?

Hate to throw a new Holset turbo ($$$) at the problem if it is something simple.

2. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Turbo Actuator Operation

Quote Originally Posted by markam View Post
    OK...So I am getting a U010C code which I can clear and it stays off for a day or so before coming back on.
    The code is loss of communication with the turbo actuator. I don't see where it could be intermittent with all the connections secure?
    1. Is the actuator being jammed by the moving vanes in the turbo being clogged and thereby sending a over amp draw?
    3. Is the PCM acting up?

Hate to throw a new Holset turbo ($$$) at the problem if it is something simple.
    Sounds like an electrical issue. Do you have any wires on the actuator plug that are worn through or partially broken?

4. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

More the likely in side of actuator eventually it will throw another code and will see not building boost probably. What your see with that code is the beginning of actuator going out. We always hope something simple 9out of 10 not.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

6. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Hoping for something simple.
    Took the truck out last night and with the EB on went around the hills in the neighborhood in 2nd. Turbo spooled up and the EB worked. Worked the actuator hard.
    This morning went out and no code. Took on the freeway up hill and down. Everything works fine and no codes. Hope it stays that way.

8. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

When mine went out in my 13 I did get intermittent code for awhile but eventually got a second code then performance issue. Keeping in mind I put on 12000 miles a month . Hope for the best there.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

10. Likes watersupply189, timshooter40 liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by markam View Post
    3. Is the PCM acting up?

how many miles are on the turbo? its prolly an actuator issue when it heats up it stops communicating and then will get stuck the the position it was last in which is bad for the headgasket so be careful about that. the pcm wont detect thats theres a issue at first it will eventually throw a code after a couple days. you dont need a whole new turbo. Test the actuator and if its bad then get it rebuilt. i have this same issue but i dont use my engine brake so i unplugged the actuator so it stays open while i wait to buy a new turbo kit

12. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Just curious why a lot of folks don’t use or like using the EB on their trucks?
    I leave mine on all the time. I have 65,000 miles on my truck and my brake pads look practically new.
    I think it’s one of the best features on these trucks.

2016 Ram Laramie 3500, G56, 6.7, MM3 by Double R Diesel, Rough Country Leveling, 35x12.50 Nitto G2, HID headlights, Morimoto LED fogs plus a whole lot more!

2016 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab ,G56

14. Thanks BlackBart thanked for this post
    Likes InlineSix.7, Murph liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by watersupply189 View Post
    I leave mine on all the time. I have 65,000 miles on my truck and my brake pads look practically new.

2016 Ram Laramie 3500, G56, 6.7, MM3 by Double R Diesel, Rough Country Leveling, 35x12.50 Nitto G2, HID headlights, Morimoto LED fogs plus a whole lot more!
    I leave mine on all the time as well. Needed brake pads at 105k miles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. Thanks watersupply189, BlackBart thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, cwendel, Murph liked this post
  17. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

me personally i like having the eb but im not in need of it since the actuator is going bad and im debating on either keeping stock turbo with rb and putting a hardway kit or just a 2nd swap

18. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
  19. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

The problem is even when doing that there can be electrical problems. I have a turbo issue but no codes. The turbo freezes up after a hot stop and cold down. It also seems to sound plugged up most of the time with no codes set. I like to use my EB it seems to hang at times. Trying to save for some software help.

Sent from my Nokia 7.1 using Tapatalk

20. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast