Thanks Thanks:  9
Likes Likes:  21

Thread: RevMax 550 Review

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

RevMax 550 Review

I had a RevMax 550 68RFE installed in my 2012 a few weeks ago.

The package also included their billet flex-plate, billet input shaft, and billet triple disc low stall converter.

I drove it very gently for a couple weeks and put about 400 total miles on it, a mix between stop and go and highway. RevMax recommends no more than 30% throttle until you get 25 total up and downshifts through all 6 gears and then 200 miles of stop and go with no more than 50% throttle.

I loaded it up this past weekend for a camping trip and towed our 30' Zinger travel trailer about 150 miles each way. 7,000 # empty and at least 1,000 # of additional cargo. You can definitely tell it is a built transmission and it's more "clunky" than the stocker was with its operation.

The 1-2 shift is smooth, 3-6 shifts are definitely firmer under load or not. You'll know it when the gears shift and then again when the converter locks. In conjunction with the new transmission I had also purchased a tuner from DRD. As I understand it, DRD includes the most updated shift mapping, and this includes unlocking the converter when shifting from 3rd through 6th.

I'm pretty sure this shift mapping is different than the mapping I had before, and I believe I heard that Chrysler added the more aggressive unlock in the trucks that were newer than mine. This means that I have some "shift flare". I know exactly what it is and I am not upset about it in any way, it's only about a 200 RPM bump for a couple of seconds and really it's just a different sound more than anything.

The guys at RevMax told me that the Ultra Low Stall converter can make the truck feel like it's pushing through the brakes when stopped and they'd recommended going with the low stall converter in my application. This was also taking into consideration the fact that I have 35" tires and need to be able to light the turbo with enough RPM when pulling away from a stop loaded.

Line pressure is massively improved. It's over 200 PSI most of the time and has no problem ramping up to 250 PSI immediately under heavy throttle.

We had a good bit of stop and go traffic and the temperature built up during that time to a max of about 200 degrees. Once we got moving again it cooled back down quickly. Normal operation with mixed driving was around 170-180 degrees.

This is overall a bit hotter than the stock transmission but RevMax says no worries, it's due to the increased line pressure and just change the fluid and filters every 25k miles.

Overall I'm very pleased with the transmission. It really has taken the worry out of my mind of the transmission taking a dump on us with camper in tow in the middle of nowhere.

Picture below was at the end of the trip. Loved DRD's tow tune, it has definitely improved the mileage while under load.

2012 Ram 2500 Laramie 4x4 Crew Cab 6.7 Cummins. RevMax built 68RFE "550" transmission w/ billet flexplate/low stall triple disc TC/direct oiling billet input shaft. 35"x12.50" Toyo Open Country AT2 tires on OEM 20" wheels, Thuren soft ride front springs, Thuren track bar, Thuren upper and lower control arms, Hellbent steering box brace, King 2.0 steering damper, Redhead steering box, Fox 2.0 shocks, Carli ball joints, Caterpillar fuel filter/Donaldson water separator, ARP 425 head studs, Viair onboard air compressor, airlift 5k# rear airbags, V4 LED headlights, Kenwood head unit

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: RevMax 550 Review

Great review!

@DRD check this out.

"The grass is greener where you water it"

3. Thanks InlineSix.7 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, walla2k5 liked this post
  4. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Thanks for the review!

Piece of mind is priceless!!

Greg
    2012 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | MM3 tuned by Double R Diesel
    2016 | Heartland Pioneer | DS310

Greg
    2019 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | 6.4 HEMI

5. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Great info! I wonder how much a deep pan and thermal bypass would cool things down

2013 Ram 2500
    John 3:16 - Philippians 4:13

See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    mike@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

6. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

The review is much appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Matthew 6:9-13, 2 Corinthians 5:20
    See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email us at:
    sales@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

8. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Outstanding Review!

Tex:

Even with my stock 68RFE & newly installed ATS thermal by-pass delete block - I never see over 148*F ATF temps during normal everyday highway / Interstate driving.

Have not had a chance to heavy tow yet.

New PML pan is going on next spring!
    Along with new fresh Triax Global ATF

2017 Bighorn (Delmonico Red & Chrome) CC-HD2500-4WD-6.7L-3:42w/Anti-Spin
    Oil: -SHELL- Rotella T6 5W-40 & T5 15W-40 combo w/LF16035
    68RFE/BW44-46/Power Steering: -Red Line- C+ ATF
    Frontend & Rearend: -Red Line- SAE GL-5 75W-90NS
    Many Small Mods: Interior & Exterior
    Mileage: 28,541

10. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Surprised there is still shift flare with a fully built transmission + low stall triple disc converter.

I thought the retune for a full Revmax was supposed to lock everything up more.

12. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SyN View Post
    Outstanding Review!

Even with my stock 68RFE & newly installed ATS thermal by-pass delete block - I never see over 148*F ATF temps during normal everyday highway / Interstate driving.

Have not had a chance to heavy tow yet.
    I thought the same thing but the guys at RevMax told me the 2012's don't have the same problematic thermal bypass that the 2013+ models have and they told me it wasn't necessary on my truck. Here's what their information has to say regarding operating temperatures and mine was spot on here (right at 200 degrees). If anyone knows something that I don't please chime in!

https://27120.v1.pressablecdn.com/wp...ns-Inst-10.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2012 Ram 2500 Laramie 4x4 Crew Cab 6.7 Cummins. RevMax built 68RFE "550" transmission w/ billet flexplate/low stall triple disc TC/direct oiling billet input shaft. 35"x12.50" Toyo Open Country AT2 tires on OEM 20" wheels, Thuren soft ride front springs, Thuren track bar, Thuren upper and lower control arms, Hellbent steering box brace, King 2.0 steering damper, Redhead steering box, Fox 2.0 shocks, Carli ball joints, Caterpillar fuel filter/Donaldson water separator, ARP 425 head studs, Viair onboard air compressor, airlift 5k# rear airbags, V4 LED headlights, Kenwood head unit

14. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 6.7 Coal Train View Post
    Surprised there is still shift flare with a fully built transmission + low stall triple disc converter.

I thought the retune for a full Revmax was supposed to lock everything up more.
    The information on the RevMax site states they highly recommend retaining the factory torque converter lockup programming in order to avoid broken input shafts.

I think the reality here is that I gained some off the line responsiveness with the "low stall" converter in exchange for a bit more shift flare up top.

The "ultra low stall" converter would reduce the flare but wouldn't get out of hole as quickly due to the fact that it would take longer to build RPM's.

I guess there has to be compromise somewhere!

16. Likes watersupply189 liked this post