Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  9

Thread: Buy or build 48re

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Buy or build 48re

I’ve got a 2004.5 5.9 with what I’ve been told was a rebuilt 48, but as to what’s rebuilt I don’t know. The ultimate goal is to have the transmission one day be capable of 1000hp+

Ive been primarily looking at the Firepunk stage 3, but the price tag has me thinking it might be a while before I can get this truck really moving. Ultimately that’s the goal but I was also wondering about just building it myself as funds allow.

Does anybody have a list of things on where to start? Like in stages? For example parts needed for 500hp, 600hp, 800hp, etc. that way instead of paying about $9000 in one shot I can kind of do it on my own pace while slightly increasing the trucks power potential.

I’ve only owned this truck since this past March so I’m still relatively new and don’t really know how to go about diving into this so any and all advice is appreciated. Thanks!

Current mods are the Edge CTS2 Juice, CIA, and 5” turboback. I run it a little hard sometimes, but I know when to back off. It stays on the level 5 tune all the time, but it’s always properly warmed up and shut down and never gassing it hard for too long. Also have stopped doing lunches and burnouts because it’s not worth snapping the shaft haha it’s also my DD. Thanks again!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Likes watersupply189, david3gen liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Buy or build 48re

Do a manual swap u can't go wrong.

4. Likes watersupply189, jman55 liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

I have an ATS built 48re in my 06 cummins. Around 10 years now and still going very strong.

2006 dodge ram 2500 laramie crew cab 5.9 cummins. 10x20 et-24 fuel offroad with 275.60r20 tires. bully dog gt tuner. 48re ATS built tranny triple disc converter ATS oilpan and transgo quick shifter. 4" turbo back exhaust. brembo discs and pads

6. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Zane View Post
    Do a manual swap u can't go wrong.
    Manual are fine for daily drivers but wanting 1000hp I’m guessing you’ll want to go fast. No fast trucks are manual- they are all auto. Goerend is industry leader for 48re parts. Firepunks drag truck is ridiculous so they have it figured out. You really get what you pay for. You’ll need triple disc converter, billet input and intermediate shafts, upgraded valvebody and all other springs/clutches. I would say Firepunk, Goerend, RevMax, ATS and BD are all major players and will have what you are looking for. If I was on west coast firepunk would be my choice

In all reality 1000 hp is going to take a lot of motor work to internals as well as drive line parts. You can get to a reliable 600-700 with turbo, trans, and good tuning. Personally I’d look to stay in that ball park tops unless it’s not going to be your daily driver

2013 Ram 2500
    John 3:16 - Philippians 4:13

See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    mike@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

8. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TexNeck View Post
    Manual are fine for daily drivers but wanting 1000hp I’m guessing you’ll want to go fast. No fast trucks are manual- they are all auto. Goerend is industry leader for 48re parts. Firepunks drag truck is ridiculous so they have it figured out. You really get what you pay for. You’ll need triple disc converter, billet input and intermediate shafts, upgraded valvebody and all other springs/clutches. I would say Firepunk, Goerend, RevMax, ATS and BD are all major players and will have what you are looking for. If I was on west coast firepunk would be my choice

In all reality 1000 hp is going to take a lot of motor work to internals as well as drive line parts. You can get to a reliable 600-700 with turbo, trans, and good tuning. Personally I’d look to stay in that ball park tops unless it’s not going to be your daily driver
    Ya it’s my DD and will be for a while until I get something more practical for a DD. But even then I’m not sure I will get it to 1000hp or even really track it but it’d be nice to have more power when I wanna play around and have the trans to be able to handle it so I’m not driving it okay borrowed time and hopes and dreams.

I also thought manual swapping would be cool since I’ve always wanted a stick shift race truck, but as you said auto’s kill manuals every day. But I also am not sure about tracking it but maybe going to Mexico every now and then to show up some imports haha

Thanks for the info though. I’m planning on doing either compounds or at least a second gen swap with a 76, some fuel mods like bigger sticks and a lift pump, and then swapping my Edge juice for the MM3 since I wasn’t lucky enough to be an ‘06 to tune with EFI live. But transmission first for sure.

If I wanted to stay at 600-700 peak hp, what would be the bare minimum to bullet proof the 48 at that power? Pretty sure I’m gonna go through firepunk but I’m also in Utah so I’ve got Randy’s down the road as well. Thanks again!

10. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Amd241997 View Post
    Ya it’s my DD and will be for a while until I get something more practical for a DD. But even then I’m not sure I will get it to 1000hp or even really track it but it’d be nice to have more power when I wanna play around and have the trans to be able to handle it so I’m not driving it okay borrowed time and hopes and dreams.

I also thought manual swapping would be cool since I’ve always wanted a stick shift race truck, but as you said auto’s kill manuals every day. But I also am not sure about tracking it but maybe going to Mexico every now and then to show up some imports haha

Thanks for the info though. I’m planning on doing either compounds or at least a second gen swap with a 76, some fuel mods like bigger sticks and a lift pump, and then swapping my Edge juice for the MM3 since I wasn’t lucky enough to be an ‘06 to tune with EFI live. But transmission first for sure.

If I wanted to stay at 600-700 peak hp, what would be the bare minimum to bullet proof the 48 at that power? Pretty sure I’m gonna go through firepunk but I’m also in Utah so I’ve got Randy’s down the road as well. Thanks again!

Id call and talk to a couple places and let them know your immediate goals and long term. See how you feel about their representatives. I am a believer with trans build it once and build it right. For 600+ hp I’d recommend doing the triple disc, billet internals, and upgraded vb and clutches. I really am not sure what you’d need for 1000 except to be ready to replace components often.

For turbo id say start with second gen swap with borg s363-366ish sxe models flow superior to others so you can use a smaller charger to move more air. That smaller size can be daily driven no problem, used as primary charger in compounds later, and will still get you north of 600 Hp with some fuel and tuning. 76 size charger would be a pain to daily drive and not really great as it’s too big for primary charger and small for atmospheric in compounds

Fuel I’d do Fass Pump - probably start with 150(165) series.

Injectors do them new - don’t skimp and just do tips.

When you need parts be sure to hit up Clayton with Dudes diesel who’s a vendor on here. He will take great care of you

2013 Ram 2500
    John 3:16 - Philippians 4:13

See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    mike@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

12. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, Power247 liked this post