Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  3

Thread: Need help with a strange issue regarding my 68RFE

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Question Need help with a strange issue regarding my 68RFE

So my 2011 6.7 Cummins has a very slow gear change from 5th to 4th gear (downshift).

If I am in 5th gear and step on it enough to downshift to 4th it takes so long that the engine rpm with rev up a bunch and it will SLAM into 4th. It slams hard enough to spin the tires on a dirt road going 35ish. It also does it when lugging down going up a hill. I have to let off and let it shift down to 4th then get back on the throttle.

Another thing that it does is when shifting into drive from any gear takes longer then it should. Shifting into reverse is almost instant. I wondering if my problem is valve body related. The trans doesn't slip at all and up shifts perfect except for the pointless shift flare bs.

Any help / suggestions is extremely appreciated!

Truck is Stock except ARP 625+ head studs, AFE Stage 2 intake, Fully Deleted, H&S Street tune and Overdrive trans tune. Transmission behaves the exact same stock tune or on the H&S tune.

84k miles.

2. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Need help with a strange issue regarding my 68RFE

Quote Originally Posted by Rob.simmons6.7 View Post
    So my 2011 6.7 Cummins has a very slow gear change from 5th to 4th gear (downshift).

If I am in 5th gear and step on it enough to downshift to 4th it takes so long that the engine rpm with rev up a bunch and it will SLAM into 4th. It slams hard enough to spin the tires on a dirt road going 35ish. It also does it when lugging down going up a hill. I have to let off and let it shift down to 4th then get back on the throttle.

Another thing that it does is when shifting into drive from any gear takes longer then it should. Shifting into reverse is almost instant. I wondering if my problem is valve body related. The trans doesn't slip at all and up shifts perfect except for the pointless shift flare bs.

Any help / suggestions is extremely appreciated!

Truck is Stock except ARP 625+ head studs, AFE Stage 2 intake, Fully Deleted, H&S Street tune and Overdrive trans tune. Transmission behaves the exact same stock tune or on the H&S tune.

84k miles.
    Welcome friend!!

2016 Ram Laramie 3500, G56, 6.7, MM3 by Double R Diesel, Rough Country Leveling, 35x12.50 Nitto G2, HID headlights, Morimoto LED fogs plus a whole lot more!

2016 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab ,G56

4. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Thanks. Glad I came across this forum, seems to have loads of info! Now hopefully someone can chime in on what could possibly be wrong. I emailed revmax and they have never seen what I have going on.

5. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  6. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob.simmons6.7 View Post
    Thanks. Glad I came across this forum, seems to have loads of info! Now hopefully someone can chime in on what could possibly be wrong. I emailed revmax and they have never seen what I have going on.
    This is the best forum out there for sure. Sorry I don’t know the answer to what your looking for but hopefully someone can chime in.

2016 Ram Laramie 3500, G56, 6.7, MM3 by Double R Diesel, Rough Country Leveling, 35x12.50 Nitto G2, HID headlights, Morimoto LED fogs plus a whole lot more!

2016 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab ,G56

7. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Did you do a trans relearn when you loaded the trans tunes?

You could try that. Reload the trans tune and make sure you drive for a minimum of 30 miles of no more than 30% throttle stop and go driving.

Going from 1st to 6th as many times as possible in that 30 mile period. No highway driving.

2017 RAM 2500 Big Horn sport appearance package, Auto Level Rear Suspension, MM3 "switch" Fully deleted - tuned by DRD, Fleece Cheetah, Airaid Jr. CAI, 3.5" Banks Monster intake horn, Pusher Boost Tubes, 5" TBE with a Flo~Pro Twister muffler, *** EGR disappear kit, Black Market Performance CAT fuel filter and water separator, Black Market Performance fuel heater, Black Market Performance head studs, AFE deep trans pan, Revmax trans cooler bypass, Revmax HD Valve Body, DPC Low stall converter with billet flywheel, AFE pro series rear diff cover, Amsoil throughout provided by mcsynthetics.myamsoil.com

8. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189 liked this post