Thanks Thanks:  19
Likes Likes:  54
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What Else Needs To Be Done?

1. Top Of Page | #11

User Info Menu

What Else Needs To Be Done?

Quote Originally Posted by BSchambs View Post
    I love working on my truck and have been on a quest to get it “just right” for the last few years since I bought it (used). It’s a 2012 model purchased new and owned in Florida (so no salt) before I bought it in 2016 in NC. It has a turnover goose-neck hitch in the bed so I bet it was used for hauling a horse trailer around. I don’t daily drive it, we just use it for family trips and hauling our 34’ 8,000# camper around. My goal is for it to ride down the road nicely and be dead nuts dependable.

Below is what I’ve done since I purchased it. Some lessons were learned in the process (like spacer kits aren’t that great, probably should have gone with better ball joints, and Rancho shocks really stink).

I’m wondering if any of you think I’ve missed anything important in the process?

Also, all of the work below I’ve done myself (except for a few things like transmission replacement, LineX, etc) so if I can offer any assistance to folks working on any of these projects please don’t hesitate to give me a shout. It’s been a pleasure learning from folks here since joining the forum a couple months ago. I like that it’s not a rude forum and everyone is here to help.

Thanks to DRD for the tunes/tuner and Clayton for the Thuren parts!

Bought truck October 2016. 119,000 mile services

Moog upper and lower ball joints
    Rotella 15w40 Oil and Mopar oil filter
    Moog Tie rods
    Moog Drag link
    2" hell bent leveling kit
    Rancho 5000 shocks all around and steering stabilizer
    Front semi metallic brake pads
    Gates green HD Serpentine belt
    DPF delete
    EGR delete
    Throttle plate delete
    Converted closed crankcase ventilation to open system - gutted Crankcase filter
    H&S Mini Max tuner
    Lubed front driveshaft
    New Mopar fuel filter
    New front bumper
    New 35" Toyo AT tires
    Tinted front windows - 3M
    Amp research bed step
    Hell bent Steering box brace
    Cabin air filter conversion
    Change diff oil both axles Mobil one synthetic 75w-90
    factory finned aluminum AAM rear differential cover
    Caterpillar 2 micron fuel filter and Donaldson water separator kit
    New Mopar transmission filters and Mopar transmission pan, 8 qts Mopar ATF4 trans fluid
    Change transfer case fluid Mopar specific fluid
    Change power steering fluid Mopar ATF4
    Flush brake fluid Valvoline synthetic dot3-4
    New fleetguard air filter
    Repaired windshield washer fluid pump (pump locked up)
    Mini Maxx transmission tune
    ARP 425 head studs installed
    Set valve lash .010 intake .020 exhaust
    Cummins water pump
    Cummins belt tensioner
    New thermostat
    New radiator cap
    New upper and lower radiator hoses
    Mopar HOAT 100k mile antifreeze
    Viair Onboard air compressor
    Rear air ride air bags 5k#
    Full size spare tire

At 120k changed oil and filter. Valvoline 15w-40 blue max oil and fleetguard oil filter.
    New SKS hub bearings
    New front axle AAM u joints
    RePainted hood and overall polish job
    LineX bed coating

At 123,400, 04/27/2018, miles changed oil, filter, and lubed chassis. Valvoline Premium Blue synthetic 15W-40 and Fleetguard oil filter
    New rear Bilstein rear shocks

At 123,600 miles August 10, 2018
    New AC compressor (Denso) condenser, evaporator coil, expansion valve, o rings, vacuumed and charged AC system
    New heater core and heater hoses
    New HVAC blower motor
    New Kenwood head unit (factory head unit hard drive bricked)
    New windshield
    New front bilstein shocks
    New AGM platinum batteries

March 1 2019 126,238 miles
    New AAM 1485 rear driveshaft u joints
    New recovery bottle (cracked) - Mopar
    New fleetguard air filter
    Oil and filter change. Fleetguard filter and Valvoline extreme blue 15 -W40 oil
    Lube front end
    Rotate tires
    Flush brake fluid Valvoline synthetic dot3-4

June 2019 127,190 miles
    New Mopar factory in tank lift pump
    new Mopar nanonet fuel filter

July 2019 127,300 miles
    MM3 tuner by Double R diesel, pillar mount and EGT probe
    V4 LED lowbeam headlights with pwm adapter
    New replacement headlight assemblies
    New Mopar fan clutch
    Race downpipe installed
    Replacement door emblems

08/03/2019 127668 miles
    New caterpillar fuel filter and Baldwin water separator.

08/09/2019 127,857 miles
    Indian Land transmission installed new Revmax transmission package. 550 transmission, billet flexplate, billet low stall triple disc torque converter, billet direct oiling input shaft, cast aluminum transmission pan

08/13/2019 128,205 miles
    Thuren soft ride 2” coil springs
    Thuren adjustable track bar
    Fox 2.0 Shock absorbers all around
    Front end alignment per Thuren specs

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...a7ab8bd7b9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    beautiful truck, looks like mine, there are a lot of mods you have that I’m in the process of doing, I’ll definitely be hitting you up with questions as I install the new stuff. How would you compare the mini maxx to the mm3 from DRD?

2011 mega cab sleeper nuff said
    If you can’t fix it with a hammer you have an electrical problem

2. Likes watersupply189, InlineSix.7 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #12

User Info Menu

The transmission replacement was, by far, the most significant investment at around $8,400 (including taxes and $750 for the R&R). The remainder of the parts that have gone into the truck over the last three years probably total around $7k. The way I look at it (and how I keep my wife from getting upset when UPS shows up with more boxes) is that it's still cheaper than having a big monthly payment on a new truck. The only other things that I can think of at this time that may give me problems down the road would be injectors and/or the factory VGT.
    I bought my '12 new and it's been paid off for quite some time. With the new trucks out now I am trying to decide if I put some into this one or trade it. I have to agree that spending $10-15k on upgrades makes more financial sense than getting a $40-50k note a new one. But the new ones sure are purdy!!

Greg
    2012 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | MM3 tuned by Double R Diesel
    2016 | Heartland Pioneer | DS310

Greg
    2019 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | 6.4 HEMI

4. Top Of Page | #13

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by thesootchucker View Post
    Lmao, Did the tranny go on you, or you just wanted the reliability?

2016,ram 2500,black,egr delete,DPF delete, throttle body delete, 4 inch flo pro turbo back exhaust,mm3 tuner,33x11.5 tires,6000k hid head lights.
    The transmission was working fine, but I’ve always been worried about it kicking the bucket on me in the middle of a camping trip somewhere in the mountains.

A new truck purchase would have included the more dependable Aisin, so when I instead decided to keep the current truck - I also decided to get the ‘68 built to be as reliable as possible.

2012 Ram 2500 Laramie 4x4 Crew Cab 6.7 Cummins. RevMax built 68RFE "550" transmission w/ billet flexplate/low stall triple disc TC/direct oiling billet input shaft. 35"x12.50" Toyo Open Country AT2 tires on OEM 20" wheels, Thuren soft ride front springs, Thuren track bar, Thuren upper and lower control arms, Hellbent steering box brace, King 2.0 steering damper, Redhead steering box, Fox 2.0 shocks, Carli ball joints, Caterpillar fuel filter/Donaldson water separator, ARP 425 head studs, Viair onboard air compressor, airlift 5k# rear airbags, V4 LED headlights, Kenwood head unit

5. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  6. Top Of Page | #14

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jman View Post
    beautiful truck, looks like mine; there are many mods you have that I’m in the process of doing; I’ll definitely be hitting you up with questions as I install the new stuff. How would you compare the Mini Maxx to the mm3 from DRD?
    There was no comparison between the Mini Maxx box tunes (and I had their transmission tune) and DRD's custom tunes.

The truck has more power, gets much better mileage, and has vastly improved the shift pattern.

Also, the 12V tune is freaking sweet.

2012 Ram 2500 Laramie 4x4 Crew Cab 6.7 Cummins. RevMax built 68RFE "550" transmission w/ billet flexplate/low stall triple disc TC/direct oiling billet input shaft. 35"x12.50" Toyo Open Country AT2 tires on OEM 20" wheels, Thuren soft ride front springs, Thuren track bar, Thuren upper and lower control arms, Hellbent steering box brace, King 2.0 steering damper, Redhead steering box, Fox 2.0 shocks, Carli ball joints, Caterpillar fuel filter/Donaldson water separator, ARP 425 head studs, Viair onboard air compressor, airlift 5k# rear airbags, V4 LED headlights, Kenwood head unit

7. Top Of Page | #15

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TexNeck View Post
    Good work! Were you happy with your transmission experience?

How’s it drive now?
    I'm going to wait until I take it out on a camping trip this weekend to update you on the transmission.

I've put about 450 (unloaded) miles on it thus far to break it in.

I can't wait to see how she does under load!

8. Thanks watersupply189, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  9. Top Of Page | #16

User Info Menu

I'm going to wait until I take it out on a camping trip this weekend to update you on the transmission.

I've put about 450 (unloaded) miles on it thus far to break it in.

I can't wait to see how she does under load!
    Good deal- the shop staff and service was good, though?

I am interested in the product and am local so interested in if the shop was good also.

2013 Ram 2500
    John 3:16 - Philippians 4:13

See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    mike@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

10. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  11. Top Of Page | #17

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TexNeck View Post
    Good deal- the shop staff and service was good, though?

I am interested in the product and am local so interested in if the shop was good also.
    As with most of my experiences, whenever anyone else touches my truck, I would have paid more attention to the details (surprise).

They scraped the ribs on the bottom of the new cast aluminum pan on the transmission jack, left greasy handprints on the fenders, and didn't use covers for the floormats when they test drove it.

That said, they were nice folks; they swapped it out quickly, and no issues related to the installation.

It was obvious they knew how to work on these trucks.

Keep in mind this is just a shop that Revmax has a relationship with, and this wasn't Revmax that did the removal and replacement.

This was just a regular old transmission replacement as far as they were concerned.

12. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  13. Top Of Page | #18

User Info Menu

A year and a half later, how are the Moog Tie rods and Draglink holding up?

I want to replace my stock ones; the bushings are looking ripped up and collapse.

It still drives fine, though!

I don't off-road or tow heavy.

However, I recently installed a full Ranch Hand front bumper that added a couple of hundred pounds to the front end.

The Synergy steering setup looks like it's the beefiest thing around, but if Moog is just as good for my purposes, I'd be happy to go with it.

Just looking for experience. (and nice truck!)

2012 2500 4WD, CCLB 68RFE, 2.75" Carli Level with Bilstein 5100s, and still a ways to go...

14. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  15. Top Of Page | #19

User Info Menu

I ended up going back in and replaced the ball joints with Carli’s and the drag link with a Thuren brand drag link.

At this point all that’s left Moog are the tie rods.

16. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS, Taistee thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12