Thanks Thanks:  19
Likes Likes:  33
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stealth Delete Results and Cost After 6500 miles

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Stealth Delete Results and Cost After 6500 miles

First off - I want to thank everyone on this forum for your insight, help and comments - they were very helpful and spot on. The delete was a huge success on our stock 2014 3500 3:73 68R with 173,000 miles. Total cost to do everything was under $2500 with tuner and tune. We did the work ourselves (guessing it would be ~$3000 outside shop labor?). Dealer quoted estimate of $10,000 starting point for stock configuration repair, so we saved $7500 plus the truck will hopefully go the distance without that EGR.

We have driven the truck with the mods just over 6500 miles, average 95-105F outside temps, 50% rolling/flat 50% mountains, Avg. tow speed 70mph, Avg. total weight 38,000#. I will do this to every Ram 6.7 I own as soon as they are out of warranty - fuel savings alone will pay for it (~$8k over 100k miles)!

What was done
    Gutted stock DPF SCR, cleaned stock holset turbo, calibrated actuator, installed EGT probe, replaced all exhaust gaskets, blank off plates between manifold and EGR cooler (1/8" 316SS), MM3 tuner with 30HP DRD tow tune. Checked Valve clearances - were perfect at 10 &20.

Results

Mileage towing heavy has improved from 7.5mpg to 9.5-10mpg (fuel cost from .43/mile projected to .35/mile - nice!)
    Mileage towing empty 10,000 trlr# went from 9 to 11 average 12 on flat ground
    Increased throttle response and better pickup from a dead stop - this was the most noticeable difference
    Trans shifts in lower gears are perfect! - I hear complaints they are too harsh but perfect for us.
    Engine braking restored to new - was only giving us about 60% HP braking right before delete, seeing consistent 110 braking hp on OEM dash gauge
    Max Boost was down around 26 before now 30psi (small exhaust leak had started before delete)
    EGTs run 1250-1350 with a heavy load running in the turbo avg 12-16psi boost. Probe right above turbo flange. No data pre delete.
    Coolant and Oil temps are also down about 10 degrees consistently. Less coolant heating by EGR cooler maybe?
    Passed DOT inspection at NM scale - The Ultimate Test!!! All sensors plug into stock locations - looks bone stock
    Exhaust tone is slightly lower/louder than stock but would not be noticeable to most people. No to little smoke - will not draw attention to your truck.

Cons

It is hard work - that is the worse turbo location in the world! I'm sure it will be easier on the next one but what a PITA
    3 days 2 guys - one day remove everything, one day gut reweld cans, clean and prep, one day to reinstall everything
    Driver says his bed gets hot now ( is raised 8" above stock backseat floor-seat removed - mega cab) guess we will insulate the DPF can under the cab

Notes/Parts:
    have 4-5 gallons of antifreeze on hand to replenish losses (we use Cummins brand)
    Genos sells the all gaskets or local parts stores may have - we ordered complete from Genos, turbo and exhaust
    Used good ol 7018 to weld up the cans - cut on welds so looks stock still. Unless you are really looking for a louder exhaust tone reusing the stock pipes saves about $500 on the project and there are no fitment issues.
    Recommend having a spare turbo drain tube kit on hand or located - they are not much more robust than a dryer vent hose and could get damaged easily. Ours was fine and we kept spare for the next delete - about $120-190 at local parts store if I remember right and a week to ship.

We bought a special curved wrench to access turbo flange bolt - was not absolutely necessary but handy. I think it was $50 at snap on truck or you can order from Mopar store also. If you need the PN let me know.
    We replaced the seal washers on the banjo fittings to turbo and block - got them from dodge dealer

Tuner/Programmer - will absolutely need one - we went with MM3 based on input from this forum - very happy with that decision

Tune - sky is the limit - we like the 30HP tow tune - this is a work truck and we are going to keep it until 400k. We were looking for longevity and not stressing other components ect. These trucks are mules right off the showroom floor.

Band-Aids - lots of band aids. More sharp no-see-ums and tin covers than you could imagine.

Highly recommend the MM3 and DRD tune. Spot on and easy install. Thank you DRD!

Extremely happy with the results in every aspect.

We will post oil sample results after we get a full cycle post delete and after the bypass oil filter gets installed.

Local dealer SM laughed - said he never would have known the truck was deleted just looking at it - but the ECM/tune would rat us out if they checked.

2. Top Of Page | #2
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Re: Stealth Delete Results and Cost After 6500 miles

How much soot had accumulated on the grid heater?

Did you delete the grid heater?

Did you delete the CCV?

I am also looking real hard at the DRD stuff. I emailed DRD and Anarchy.

DRD was the company to most completely answer my slew of questions.

3. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS, Jaxonsram, watersupply189 thanked for this post
  4. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JCIHotshot View Post
    First off - I want to thank everyone on this forum for your insight, help and comments - they were very helpful and spot on. The delete was a huge success on our stock 2014 3500 3:73 68R with 173,000 miles. Total cost to do everything was under $2500 with tuner and tune. We did the work ourselves (guessing it would be ~$3000 outside shop labor?). Dealer quoted estimate of $10,000 starting point for stock configuration repair, so we saved $7500 plus the truck will hopefully go the distance without that EGR.

We have driven the truck with the mods just over 6500 miles, average 95-105F outside temps, 50% rolling/flat 50% mountains, Avg. tow speed 70mph, Avg. total weight 38,000#. I will do this to every Ram 6.7 I own as soon as they are out of warranty - fuel savings alone will pay for it (~$8k over 100k miles)!

What was done
    Gutted stock DPF SCR, cleaned stock holset turbo, calibrated actuator, installed EGT probe, replaced all exhaust gaskets, blank off plates between manifold and EGR cooler (1/8" 316SS), MM3 tuner with 30HP DRD tow tune. Checked Valve clearances - were perfect at 10 &20.

Results

Mileage towing heavy has improved from 7.5mpg to 9.5-10mpg (fuel cost from .43/mile projected to .35/mile - nice!)
    Mileage towing empty 10,000 trlr# went from 9 to 11 average 12 on flat ground
    Increased throttle response and better pickup from a dead stop - this was the most noticeable difference
    Trans shifts in lower gears are perfect! - I hear complaints they are too harsh but perfect for us.
    Engine braking restored to new - was only giving us about 60% HP braking right before delete, seeing consistent 110 braking hp on OEM dash gauge
    Max Boost was down around 26 before now 30psi (small exhaust leak had started before delete)
    EGTs run 1250-1350 with a heavy load running in the turbo avg 12-16psi boost. Probe right above turbo flange. No data pre delete.
    Coolant and Oil temps are also down about 10 degrees consistently. Less coolant heating by EGR cooler maybe?
    Passed DOT inspection at NM scale - The Ultimate Test!!! All sensors plug into stock locations - looks bone stock
    Exhaust tone is slightly lower/louder than stock but would not be noticeable to most people. No to little smoke - will not draw attention to your truck.

Cons

It is hard work - that is the worse turbo location in the world! I'm sure it will be easier on the next one but what a PITA
    3 days 2 guys - one day remove everything, one day gut reweld cans, clean and prep, one day to reinstall everything
    Driver says his bed gets hot now ( is raised 8" above stock backseat floor-seat removed - mega cab) guess we will insulate the DPF can under the cab

Notes/Parts:
    have 4-5 gallons of antifreeze on hand to replenish losses (we use Cummins brand)
    Genos sells the all gaskets or local parts stores may have - we ordered complete from Genos, turbo and exhaust
    Used good ol 7018 to weld up the cans - cut on welds so looks stock still. Unless you are really looking for a louder exhaust tone reusing the stock pipes saves about $500 on the project and there are no fitment issues.
    Recommend having a spare turbo drain tube kit on hand or located - they are not much more robust than a dryer vent hose and could get damaged easily. Ours was fine and we kept spare for the next delete - about $120-190 at local parts store if I remember right and a week to ship.

We bought a special curved wrench to access turbo flange bolt - was not absolutely necessary but handy. I think it was $50 at snap on truck or you can order from Mopar store also. If you need the PN let me know.
    We replaced the seal washers on the banjo fittings to turbo and block - got them from dodge dealer

Tuner/Programmer - will absolutely need one - we went with MM3 based on input from this forum - very happy with that decision

Tune - sky is the limit - we like the 30HP tow tune - this is a work truck and we are going to keep it until 400k. We were looking for longevity and not stressing other components ect. These trucks are mules right off the showroom floor.

Band-Aids - lots of band aids. More sharp no-see-ums and tin covers than you could imagine.

Highly recommend the MM3 and DRD tune. Spot on and easy install. Thank you DRD!

Extremely happy with the results in every aspect.

We will post oil sample results after we get a full cycle post delete and after the bypass oil filter gets installed.

Local dealer SM laughed - said he never would have known the truck was deleted just looking at it - but the ECM/tune would rat us out if they checked.
    Awesome write up!!!!

2021 2500 68RFE..... I'll just keep the goodies a secret!!!

5. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, AK Bob liked this post
  6. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JaredHerzog View Post
    How much soot had accumulated on the grid heater?

Did you delete the grid heater?

Did you delete the CCV?

I am also looking real hard at the DRD stuff. I emailed DRD and Anarchy.

DRD was the company to most completely answer my slew of questions.
    We clean the ERG cooler and grid heater every 60k when the truck was being serviced for trans and diff with that oil change. We did not delete the grid as we can be in cold weather and well if it ain't broke don't fix it. There is a fair amount of accumulation in the inlet elbow/grid heater/egr cooler by 60k.

I've seen pictures where it looked like a BBQ with briquettes on it - ours have never been that bad. Before we knew about having to service that whole EGR system we ran the first 6.7 to something like 120k - it was very dirty by then. 60k seems to work good for a service interval. We were wanting to remove the tax on the cooling system and keep the intake clean so we used a blank off plate to insure no exhaust could foul up that system ever again and to remove all the 1300F heat going into the EGR cooler. We did see a reduction in coolant temp and fan engagement

We use the stock CCV filter - change it every 30k. Expensive but it works. I think you would have to run the cc vent line to a vacuum can or something if you wanted to delete the stock filter on a 6.7, not positive. The 7.3s and 5.9s we just dropped a tube down.

I cannot speak to anarchy's stuff but most folks on this platform recommended DRD - it works great and no issues whatsoever.

Pic of EGR cooler blank off plates before cooler went back on

7. Thanks watersupply189, Jaxonsram thanked for this post
  8. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Great write up!

I really appreciate that you used the cleaned cans I was thinking the same thing.

I'm very interested in the dealer quote to put it back to stock.

Did your exhaust fail sending you down the road the repair you did.

Or did you just want a better mpg.

9. Thanks rugcag, watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, Evil Jones liked this post
  10. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Can you provide more detail regarding the method for gutting the DPF SCR? Interested in this process.

11. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  12. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mrfixit1 View Post
    Great write up!

I really appreciate that you used the cleaned cans I was thinking the same thing.

Welcome friend!!

2016 Ram Laramie 3500, G56, 6.7, MM3 by Double R Diesel, Rough Country Leveling, 35x12.50 Nitto G2, HID headlights, Morimoto LED fogs plus a whole lot more!

2016 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab
    Cummins,G56, Rough Country level, Morimoto LED fog lights, LED headlights, Lund Attitude Steps sprayed with Line-X, DRL's Activated, 35x12.50R18 Falken Wildpeak ATW3, Fuel Vapor Wheels Matte Black w/Dark Tint, A.R.E. Truck cap and swing boxes

13. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rugcag View Post
    Can you provide more detail regarding the method for gutting the DPF SCR? Interested in this process.
    PM me rugcaq

14. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mrfixit1 View Post
    Great write up!

Exhaust Failed
    Dealer quote:
    Replace Turbo
    Replace DPF
    Service or Replace SCR

16. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  17. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JCIHotshot View Post
    We clean the ERG cooler and grid heater every 60k when the truck was being serviced for trans and diff with that oil change. We did not delete the grid as we can be in cold weather and well if it ain't broke don't fix it. There is a fair amount of accumulation in the inlet elbow/grid heater/egr cooler by 60k.

I've seen pictures where it looked like a BBQ with briquettes on it - ours have never been that bad. Before we knew about having to service that whole EGR system we ran the first 6.7 to something like 120k - it was very dirty by then. 60k seems to work good for a service interval. We were wanting to remove the tax on the cooling system and keep the intake clean so we used a blank off plate to insure no exhaust could foul up that system ever again and to remove all the 1300F heat going into the EGR cooler. We did see a reduction in coolant temp and fan engagement

We use the stock CCV filter - change it every 30k. Expensive but it works. I think you would have to run the cc vent line to a vacuum can or something if you wanted to delete the stock filter on a 6.7, not positive. The 7.3s and 5.9s we just dropped a tube down.

I cannot speak to anarchy's stuff but most folks on this platform recommended DRD - it works great and no issues whatsoever.

Pic of EGR cooler blank off plates before cooler went back on

Hey where did you get those block off plates?

I need some of those “gaskets” as well.

18. Likes watersupply189, Evil Jones liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast