Likes Likes:  16
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 68RFE Issue

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

68RFE Issue

Hello igotacummins!

Looking for some advice.

I've got a 2015 Ram 2500 Cummins w/ the 68RFE and 32K miles. I'm running the RaceME Ultra Tuner with DRD Custom Tunes, full deletes. I have it set on the +30HP and do regular towing at 6K to 10K lbs. I don't hot rod my truck. I've noticed that around 1600 - 2000 RPMs I have a vibration that has a "woo, woo, woo" feel to it, and I notice it most in 3rd - 5th gear. I can feel it in the throttle pedal.

I changed the fluid and filters and the fluid was pink, very little varnish, and no debris.

Wondering if this might be a torque converter and/or friction plate issue?

Would love your thoughts.

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: 68RFE Issue

Are you talking about shift flare?

"The grass is greener where you water it"

3. Likes RhinoCummins liked this post
  4. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Maybe it has nothing to do with transmission.

Could your exhaust system be causing some resonance from a loose connection or something rubbing on the frame?

Ray,
    Double R Diesel

The Cummins Whisperer! John 3:16, Romans 10:9-10...Tuning for the Heart and Soul.

5. Likes RhinoCummins liked this post
  6. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

What kind of tires are you running? Does the sound and vibration change or go away at certain speeds?

Possible tire hum or balance issue?

32k seems really low mileage to have an issue.

Especially if you aren’t hot rodding around.

-Maury
    2013 Ram 2500 ccsb 4x4
    All the nonsense removed and an anarchy tune
    2.5 level and fuel wheels on 295s

Insta @issasicseven

7. Likes RhinoCummins liked this post
  8. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

No I’m familiar with shift flare.

This is a combination of vibration and surge when driving at that RPM range in those gears.

Hey Ray, I’d actually emailed you on this and you recommended I check my exhaust.

I did go through and tighten everything. Didn’t seem to improve.

As a side note, I’ve noticed this for a while but it was really minor. Seemed to be more noticeable after I changed the tranny fluid and filters.

Running Toyo AT/2’s. It’s doesn’t seem to be a speed thing tied to tire vibration. As an example, once it shifts and gets back to a lower rpm it goes away.

9. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

I have seen a u joint cause similar issues but at a low miles, I ts possible.

2014 Ram 2500 CCSB Ram Box Larime
    2011 Ram 5500
    2006 Diesel Jeep Liberty
    RIP. 2016 Tradesman 2500 picked up 9/28/16 MM3 DRD Tuning 107K miles wrecked by jeep wrangler.....

Other Toys: 1973 Charger Bougham edition 400 big block 42K original miles
    Unicycles (about 3 dozen)

6 in a row makes her go

10. Likes Issasicseven, RhinoCummins liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RhinoCummins View Post
    No I’m familiar with shift flare.

This is a combination of vibration and surge when driving at that RPM range in those gears.

Hey Ray, I’d actually emailed you on this and you recommended I check my exhaust.

I did go through and tighten everything. Didn’t seem to improve.

As a side note, I’ve noticed this for a while but it was really minor. Seemed to be more noticeable after I changed the tranny fluid and filters.

Running Toyo AT/2’s. It’s doesn’t seem to be a speed thing tied to tire vibration. As an example, once it shifts and gets back to a lower rpm it goes away.

Run the +120hp tune and see if the problem goes away.
    Common issue with the low power tunes is fuel rail spikes and weird fueling issues that cause surging.

For whatever reason the hot tunes don't do this.

Speaking from experience with my 4th gen & my 60hp tune maxing my rail pressure at idle which was bad news bears.

12. Likes RhinoCummins liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

RamIt, I haven’t heard of that being an issue.

I do notice it with both the 30HP and 60HP tunes but haven’t gone to the hotter tunes.

Just out of curiosity what tuner and tunes are you running?

14. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Might not be a bad idea to look at your rail pressure on your MM3 while it is happening.

2017 RAM 2500 Big Horn sport appearance package, Auto Level Rear Suspension, MM3 "switch" Fully deleted - tuned by DRD, Fleece Cheetah, Airaid Jr. CAI, 3.5" Banks Monster intake horn, Pusher Boost Tubes, 5" TBE with a Flo~Pro Twister muffler, *** EGR disappear kit, Black Market Performance CAT fuel filter and water separator, Black Market Performance fuel heater, Black Market Performance head studs, AFE deep trans pan, Revmax trans cooler bypass, Revmax HD Valve Body, DPC Low stall converter with billet flywheel, AFE pro series rear diff cover, Amsoil throughout provided by mcsynthetics.myamsoil.com

15. Likes RamIt liked this post
  16. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RhinoCummins View Post
    RamIt, I haven’t heard of that being an issue.

I do notice it with both the 30HP and 60HP tunes but haven’t gone to the hotter tunes.

Just out of curiosity what tuner and tunes are you running?
    It’s been an issue since the RaceMe Ultra was the tuner of choice. I had an Ultra with Rays tunes. Horrible surging on the 60hp tune. Truck was majorly over fueling and it was maxing the rail out.

Never had an issue again once I went to the 120.
    @DRD can you speak to the surging issue on the lower hp tunes more in depth?

EDIT: I want to clarify, since I half-assed this post typing it on my phone, that my issue was not related to Rays tuning. His tune files were and still are the most solid on the market. I meant to specify that my issue wasn't tune related as the truck was tuned by Ray and that the issue was related to the Ultra.

Last edited by RamIt; 08-16-2019 at 10:45 AM. Reason: I'm stupid.
    2021 3500 Mega HO DRW

17. Thanks RhinoCummins, DRD thanked for this post
    Likes RhinoCummins, DRD liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast