I am going to use this thread to document the history of my 2009 Ford F550 that I use to pull my 40-foot fifth wheel camper. The story starts with a Ford powerplant but will end with a Cummins so please stick with me, I know that this is a Cummins site. This will be a work in progress but I want to capture any info that someone else trying this swap, will have enough info to know if they want to try it or not.
In the beginning:
1. Purchased 2009 Ford F550 gas V10 6.8L with no bed.
2. Built (mostly) bed to mount fifth wheel hitch and hang some toolboxes from. Plan on doing a diamond plate skirt and rack, just not there yet.
3. Found a fuel injector stuck open and dumping fuel. Replaced all injectors but MPG only changed a bit. Still about 4.5 MPG while pulling my 16k pound camper.
4. XL stripped truck but I wanted PW, PL, and power mirrors. Stripped the truck down and replaced the dash and floor harnesses with new Ford parts found online. Door harnesses were used.
5. Ordered new SRW conversion wheels from ****. After 11 months, never got them. Ended up ordering from another company, had them in 5 weeks!
5. Still has the DRWs but that will change.
6. Several thousand miles with the V10, a full West coast trip over 6 months and a Texas trip over 6 months. The only major issue was a blown transmission in Seattle on the first trip. Minor issue, 4.5 MPG.
(Don't you love those eBay red power fold/telescopic heated mirrors!)
To be continued...