Today I want to talk about ECMs. This goes back to when I bought the 2018 engine. When I first started looking for info, it appeared that the new 2018 security wouldn't allow me to use the original ECM. That was wrong but I didn't know that then. So, armed with my mis-information I went down the path of using a non-Ram version of the ECM (CM2350A). I still think that it can be done, I just couldn't get it to work. The HD commercial version of the ISB6.7 is for sure different in several ways, here are a few that I know of:
1. Most commercial engines have a rear valve train gear configuration. This changes the location and number of the crank position sensors.
2. Most have a second crank position sensor in the bellhousing.
3. Most don't have a MAF sensor like the Ram.
4. Injection pump is driven from the rear of the engine and not the front.

I am sure that there are more, but these are the big things. Also, I say most only assuming that I didn't find all configuration variations available. If I could have found a calibration that looked closer to the Ram configuration, I could have made this work. If I had got the CM2350A to work, adding cruise control would have been an option since it is a hardwired function of the ECM and not CAN driven. I am not sure of the tuning options without MAF but I am sure that I could have gotten the 1000 lb/ft of torque that I am looking for.

I started tracking down parts for plan A (CM2350A), plan B (CM2200), and plan C (CM850) and the corresponding harnesses for each. Along with the ECMs and harnesses I picked up what I thought that I needed for tools. Bought a Cummins Inline 6 pass-thru adapter, Cummins Insite, Cummins Calterm. Now with all of my tools, I put together a bench harness for the CM2350A, I started trying to figure out what to do. I found a good amount of information but never everything that I needed. Turned out that not only did I need to do the deletes (EGR, DPF, DEF), I needed to adjust the configuration for the different location of the crank position sensor and lack of MAF. I assume that this would require a completely different strategy which I couldn't find an example of. After a full 6 weeks of working on the ECM, I think I have it. The Engine is in the truck (will update on install next) and ready to test the ECM. I was hoping that I could at least get it running in derate mode, but no luck. After messing with the CPS configuration and other random settings, I gave up. Thinking that I would move on to Plan B or C, I started looking at the parts that I would have to replace on my 1000 mile Cummins engine, I delayed on going that route. I sprung for a EFI Live V2, put the Ram CM2350B on, flashed it with a stock tune for the 2018, and upgraded to CSP5 OS. Hooked up my power and pedal, turned the key, and shazam, it started up. Turns out that the new security that Ram put in place for 2018 is just a security module that goes between the ECM and the ODB port. I was also worried about the SKIM, but seems that the EFI Live kills that as well. So now I have a "kind of running" Cummins in my Ford. Still a lot to do but feeling better about it. Next post will be the physical install and the things that I learned from that but I will continue with the issues that I am running in to trying to get the Ford ECM to control the transmission.