Thanks Thanks:  34
Likes Likes:  69
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: My 2009 Ford F550 Cummins 6.7l Transplant story #1

1. Top Of Page | #21

User Info Menu

Re: My 2009 Ford F550 Cummins 6.7l Transplant story #1

A LOT of work. But you’ll get a really badass truck. Keep posting and good luck on this awsome build

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2006 dodge ram 2500 laramie crew cab 5.9 cummins. 10x20 et-24 fuel offroad with 275.60r20 tires. bully dog gt tuner. 48re ATS built tranny triple disc converter ATS oilpan and transgo quick shifter. 4" turbo back exhaust. brembo discs and pads

2. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #22

User Info Menu

Well the last several days have brought together a bunch of stuff. First off, I was able to get almost all of the wiring done and wrapped up. This included the ECM, accelerator pedal, transmission controller, and ODB2 port. The only wiring that I haven't finished is the A/C wiring and tracing down an issue with my speedometer. After that I went after the fuel supply issue and that actually went pretty well. Emptied the tank, dropped it, removed the module, removed the pump, disconnected the flex hose at the top, drilled a hole in the metal plate, added a 90 degree barbed bulkhead fitting, connected a piece of plastic fuel line to the original draw pipe, cut it so that it would lay in the original baffle, and put it all back together. Used part of the original plastic vent pipe to make a new one. Used a heat gun to get a little bit of a turn up and added a 3/8" barbed axle vent. Got the lines hooked back up, added fuel and all was good.

20190915_223918156_iOS_sml.jpg

Next I took a grinder to the fan shroud. With my Ford fan and the non-standard conversion location of the engine, the shroud was getting in way with the cold side of the intercooler pipe. I will get some rework done to it in the future but that won't happen right now.

20190915_183840509_iOS.jpg

And finally, the driver side battery tray. This was a freebee that I got from the wrecking yard that was already busted up but it worked for what I doing. All I did was remove the coolant recovery tank, cut the sharp edges off, and smoothed it up. Turned out as good as I wanted, just don't have the second battery or cables yet.

20190915_183703204_iOS (2).jpg

With all of this, I was now able to take a test drive. I will share that fun in the next post.

2009 Ford F550 Flatbed Hauler w/ Cummins 6.7L
    2017 Keystone Avalanche 395BH
    'A fool and his money are soon parted'

4. Thanks Power247, watersupply189 thanked for this post
  5. Top Of Page | #23

User Info Menu

Now for the maiden voyage. Engine seemed to be running good and the transmission was shifting with the base config provided by Aden at GOS Performance. My first trip was just going to be down our mountain road a mile or so and back up. Down was good, up, not so much. First I figured out the base config of the TCM wouldn't do any engine braking, so I have to ride the brakes all of the way down the mountain. But overall, things seemed to be going okay. After turning back up the hill, I gave the truck a little pedal found another weak spot in my intercooler connections. Seems that I have have had too much angle on the hot side out of the turbo going to my homemade pipe that goes thru the radiator support. After limping it home with a disconnected intercooler pipe I pulled the code from the Cummins ECM and found that I had a high fuel rail pressure code. My assumption is with all of the messing around with the fuel system, I must have broke the fuel control actuator.

So armed with the sawzall, grinder, welder, plate steel, and some leftover pipe, I did a rebuild on the pipe that goes thru the radiator support. This time I put some turns in it to get a better line up with the turbo. After welding and grinding on this thing way too many times, it was getting thin and I couldn't keep from blowing holes and I couldn't get it air tight. So I added some plating and welded that up. Not my best work but I think it will do.

20190919_002147501_iOS (2).jpg

Today was a trip to the diesel shop (Cummins was out of stock) for a new actuator. That install was easy and seems to have resolved the high fuel pressure DTC. Since I had done a lot with the fuel system I thought that it would be a good idea to look at the engine end fuel filter. Shouldn't have done it. Everyone complains about how tough the cap is to get off but since this is pretty much a new engine, the cap came right off. The only problem was something had gotten to the o-ring and puffed it up. Now I can't get the cap back on because the o-ring is too big. So back to the parts house in the morning to either find just the o-ring or to buy a filter that comes with it.

With a few more little things, I will be on the road again. Biggest issue right now is getting the TCM tuned. I will be working with Aden from GOS but I would like to get a good grasp on how to do some of it myself to save some back and forth time.

6. Thanks Power247, watersupply189 thanked for this post
  7. Top Of Page | #24

User Info Menu

Update on the fuel filter housing o-ring. Went to the first parts store and they didn't have any o-rings that would help so I moved on to the second one in my little town. The counter guy told me that he didn't have one but he could make it. The peaked my curiosity so I asked how that happens the answer was a razor blade and super glue. Never heard of that but figured it was worth a try. I ended up taking my oversized o-ring and cutting a section out with good straight cuts and super gluing it back together. Worked like a champ and doesn't leak, so all is good.

Moving on to the rest of it.
    Needed the truck to pull the camper for a trip. We made it all of the way there and back, just not at a good rate of speed. Turns out that the engine is running in limp mode which I couldn't really detect without the camper connected. I had ran out of time so we just went for it. We had a lot of hill climbing that went very slow but the truck did okay while on the flats. Transmission still isn't shifting correctly but I am thinking that it is because of the RPM/torque derate that is happening. Until I figure out the derate issues, I am not going to troubleshoot the shifting. I would like to point out that even with all of the issues with limp mode, I think I got almost 4 times the MPG than with the V10!

Other than climbing the hills at a very slow rate of speed the only issue that I had was the factory trailer brake controller. I still need to do some testing but one of the things that I didn't get resolved before the trip was the speedometer and I think that caused my brake controller to not work. At one point coming down the mountain, all 4 wheels were smoking to the point that I thought we were about to go up in flames. I had been slowly increasing the gain on the controller and even though it looked like it was working, it wasn't. Fortunately I had an aftermarket controller with me to swap out with the factory one, and all was good.

Next steps are to figure out why the ECM is going in to limp mode. I have been able to delete the urea and DPF which seems to be good but the Cummins tools that I am working with doesn't have all of the support for the Dodge calibration that I need. I will break out my other scanner and see if I can get a clue about what is causing my issues. If I can figure out all of the things that I need to complete the deletes, then I will move on to finding a way to port over the Cummins ecfg files in to a cax file that I can use with my EFI Live. With that I will get my CSP4 OS and tuner switch so that I can start learning how to bump up power.

Winter is about to be here so the air ride suspension, paint job, bed skirts, and headache rack will wait until next summer. I will continue with the updates on the ECM as I can, hopefully it will be soon as I plan I taking the camper out again for Christmas.

8. Thanks watersupply189, Power247 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, Power247 liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #25

User Info Menu

Quick Update:
    Still working on getting the ECM to do what I want it to do and so far I am losing.

My plan is/was to keep the EGR system but delete the DPF and def.

Since this is not a common configuration, I can't find information on whether or not this is possible.

Seems possible that the NoX sensor just behind the turbo may be needed to keep the EGR working but the info seems to go both ways.

A user over at MHH Auto was nice enough to share a calibration file with me that he described as deleted. Not sure what is deleted (def, DPF, egr, VGT??) but I am going to load that calibration and see what happens.

I have done some Calterm comparisons with an original Incal calibration and looks okay but I am not a pro at this.

This calibration is compatible with an ECM that I didn't have so I picked up one that has the correct part number, so here it goes.

I suspect that I could have figured out how to do an overlay with Calterm and used the ECM that I had but that will be for another day.

10. Thanks watersupply189, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #26

User Info Menu

This will be the last update for a while.

I have been still working on getting all of the deletes completed, which I finally think that I am done, but I won't know for sure for a while.

While working on trying to resolve the derate issues with the ECM I was adding additional stress to the recently rebuilt 5R110 transmission.

Seems that the PCS TCM-2800 controller couldn't shift the transmission correctly because of the decreased torque over 2000 RPMs.

This was causing some hard shifts in 4th and 5th.

On my test run this afternoon, getting on the highway and with a good amount of pressure on the pedal it seemed that the engine was finally pulling above 2000 RPMs.

The transmission didn't seem to shift hard in to 4th but we it went in to 5th, small pop and I was no longer spinning the drivetrain.

Had my laptop with me so I connected up to the PCS controller and found that it was not seeing any input shaft rotations.

My best guess is all of the repeated hard shifts weakened the input shaft and/or splines.

Either way, AAA was called, truck loaded up, and hauled to the house.

With temps less than freezing I don't think I will be pulling a transmission until spring.

If it is the input shaft, a hardened billet replacement will be on the list.

Probably should have done that to start with.

12. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS, watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS, watersupply189 liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #27

User Info Menu

I miss my fummins and this is making me want to build another.....

2014 Ram 2500 CCSB Ram Box Larime
    2011 Ram 5500
    2006 Diesel Jeep Liberty
    RIP. 2016 Tradesman 2500 picked up 9/28/16 MM3 DRD Tuning 107K miles wrecked by jeep wrangler.....

Other Toys: 1973 Charger Bougham edition 400 big block 42K original miles
    Unicycles (about 3 dozen)

6 in a row makes her go

14. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #28

User Info Menu

O I gotta keep up with this thread.

There's a YouTuber who 5.9 swapped a 16 or 17 F350 so this should also be a good thread to follow now.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

16. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  17. Top Of Page | #29

User Info Menu

Quick update for those subscribed:
    1. Bought some property and been developing that.
    2. Broke my arm which put me on the bench for a couple months.
    3. Limited time at my Colorado hose which is where my F550 is and the home projects took priority.
    4. Snowing as I write.

Been working out some ECM config details in my head and now have a plan of attack with the Ram ECM but also thinking about reverting back to the CM2350A ECM.

There doesn't seem to be a realistic way to get cruise control and exhaust brake to ever work with the RAM ECM.

Also figured out a difference in the pin out between the CM2350A ECM and the Ram engine harness.

I will see if I can adjust the hardware pins of the 5290170 ECM config to match the RAM engine harness (or move the wires in the ECM connector) and if I can do that, I may be able to get cruise control and exhaust brake.

Hopefully the next update will be in April.

18. Thanks watersupply189, Power247 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189 liked this post
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123