Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  30
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Picking the correct lift pump and sump kit for my application. Do I need a sump?

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Picking the correct lift pump and sump kit for my application. Do I need a sump?

I put this in the noob section originally. This might be a more appropriate place. Sorry about that

I'm wanting to add either a FASS or Air Dog lift pump system and was wanting some sump kit advice as well.

The truck is a stock 2010 3500 dually 350 horse 6.7 with the G56 6 speed that pulls and hauls heavy weight about half the time.

I watched several pros and cons videos respective to the two systems.

Looks like the FASS has bigger 5/8" vs 1/2" fittings and thicker 10 gauge wiring per the owner and something about the radiuses and bends vs sharp 90s adding cavitation (not sure about all that last part).

Looks like the FASS has bigger filters and motor but also a bigger profile hanging down underneath.

Looks like the Air Dog suction line gets drilled into the top of the sending unit whereas the FASS gets drilled into the tank itself. I think returns are thru stock returns is that correct?

Seems like I would be worried about getting the suction line spacing relative to the bottom of the tank right. Is the thickness of a quarter enough?

Regarding sumps I see the wisdom of gravity feeding vs sucking thru a straw but what about sediments?

Based on my vehicle and what I use it for, what recommendation would y'all have for a lift pump and sump and do I need a sump?

2. Likes ZeroSignal, timshooter40 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Picking the correct lift pump and sump kit for my application. Do I need a sump?

I've been researching the same topic.

From what I've found, the biggest advantage of running a sump is avoiding starving the pump when your fuel tank gets low.

Folks have reported instances where the draw straw will suck air when the fuel level is low.

Personally, I don't let my truck get below 1/4 tank, but I can see the advantage of having a sump for that occasion where you have to go a little extra distance between fill ups.

4. Likes timshooter40 liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

Re: Picking the correct lift pump and sump kit for my application. Do I need a sump?

I've been thinking of this as well. I've had the level below 1/4, but not by much. Sediment in a sump has been my concern. If no sump, then sediment would be spread throughout the bottom of the tank, pulling smaller amount over time. The biggest concern is loosing liquid suction, destroying the down stream pumps ... and their cost. So far I have considered no sump and never going to low on fuel.

Many have told me just over the thickness of a dime from the draw straw and the bottom of the tank is fine, but cut a very small v-notch on two sides of the draw straw end to guarantee liquid flow.

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

6. Likes timshooter40 liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Sump 100%- when you drill your hole for the sump take some time and clean the tank.

At that point all old sediment is gone and whatever new sediment comes with fuel will be caught by filters/separators. you can tell yourself that you won’t get low on fuel but if you take trips and aren’t familiar with fueling stops sometimes you end up stretching it.

Can’t put a price on piece of mind!

For $100 -$200 for a sump it’s worth it IMO.

2013 Ram 2500
    John 3:16 - Philippians 4:13

See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    mike@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

8. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

FWIW I recommend the sump from Beans Diesel.

2018 Ram 2500 4x4 G56
    Romans 10:13

FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    joe@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

9. Likes timshooter40 liked this post
  10. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

I have been running the Airdog 4G2 165GPH and G&R sump now for 10k miles no issues.

Super easy install and has both the feed and return built into the sump which makes it very easy to hook up the air dog.

11. Likes timshooter40 liked this post
  12. Top Of Page | #7

Trying to learn.

Can I ask why no one uses the fleece oem type drop in pump?

13. Likes timshooter40 liked this post
  14. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

I installed a 95 Gal FASS system.

Mine has the engine mount pump and filter.

Hooked up the the stock draw straw.

No issues pulls plenty of fuel for my mods.

The filters are short in length with the new units. Unit is whisper quiet.

Very pleased with fass.

15. Likes timshooter40 liked this post
  16. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

had a sump in my 98.5 after my first Air Dog burned up sucking through a "straw"...... Plenty of people put in a new pick up pipe, and it's possible maybe I got low in fuel, but usually don't let it get much below 1/4 if any.
    With the sump, was a lot happier with a little more piece of mind. Even though an older truck, there wasn't much sediment in the tank when the sump was put in. Surprisingly little actually.

Really liked the easy on/off of the fuel filter and water drain access. Will hope to put one on my '17 soon.

17. Likes timshooter40 liked this post
  18. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mega Man View Post
    Trying to learn.

Can I ask why no one uses the fleece oem type drop in pump?

Can I ask why no one uses the fleece oem type drop in pump?[/QUOTE]

Mostly ease of installation and filtration. With an air dog/Fass you do not need to drop the tank to install. The sump is installed on the bottom of the tank and the pump on the frame rail. At most you may need to loosen some of the tank bolts to unhook factory harness on top of tank which is no big deal really.

As far as filtration the Fass/airdog have filters built onto their pumps on the frame rail. You can interchange brands of filters as well as choose a superior micron filter if desired.

with the in tank unit you keep factory filter locations/filters.

Its been a while since I priced fleece pump but cost is the same if not a bit lower last I knew with the air dog/Fass style

2013 Ram 2500
    John 3:16 - Philippians 4:13

FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    mike@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

19. Thanks Mega Man, cumminsdieselfreak thanked for this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast