Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  30
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Picking the correct lift pump and sump kit for my application. Do I need a sump?

1. Top Of Page | #11

Re: Picking the correct lift pump and sump kit for my application. Do I need a sump?

Ah I see, thanks !

2. Likes AK Bob, timshooter40 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #12

User Info Menu

Re: Picking the correct lift pump and sump kit for my application. Do I need a sump?

Quote Originally Posted by Mega Man View Post
    Trying to learn.

Can I ask why no one uses the fleece oem type drop in pump?
    These trucks need fuel filtration, fuel filtration, fuel filtration. As TexNeck already stated, the Fass/Airdog is easier to install and you get more fuel filtration. If you're content with dropping the tank and keeping your stock filtration then the Fleece may be for you. Price is about the same for a comparable Fass/Airdog and both have a lifetime warranty. The Fleece is good for about 800hp while FASS/Airdog offer systems for stock trucks to 1000+hp builds. I prefer FASS but any of the 3 will more than likely exceed your expectations and @TexNeck will take care of you.

2018 Ram 2500 4x4 G56
    Romans 10:13

See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    joe@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

4. Thanks Mega Man thanked for this post
    Likes timshooter40, Mega Man liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #13

Everything I have read had stated the stock filtration, is not only good but the best of the 3 major brands.

That said adding filtration is easy, IMO.

Also for what it's worth, supposedly you don't have to drop your tank, you can remove the bolts/nuts that hold on the bed, Jack Up 1 side and install the pump that way.

6. Likes timshooter40 liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #14

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TexNeck View Post
    Mostly ease of installation and filtration. With an air dog/Fass you do not need to drop the tank to install. The sump is installed on the bottom of the tank and the pump on the frame rail. At most you may need to loosen some of the tank bolts to unhook factory harness on top of tank which is no big deal really.

As far as filtration the Fass/airdog have filters built onto their pumps on the frame rail. You can interchange brands of filters as well as choose a superior micron filter if desired.

with the in tank unit you keep factory filter locations/filters.

Its been a while since I priced fleece pump but cost is the same if not a bit lower last I knew with the air dog/Fass style

Wait a sec... Ive saw youtube vids of folks doin this. All them guys all pulled the tank and the lift pump, hacked the bottom off the lift pump and drilled a bunch of holes innit.

?Doncha have to do all that?

Good stuff.... Truckers bring it

8. Likes timshooter40 liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #15

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BlackBart View Post

Wait a sec... Ive saw youtube vids of folks doin this. All them guys all pulled the tank and the lift pump, hacked the bottom off the lift pump and drilled a bunch of holes innit.

?Doncha have to do all that?
    You don’t have to remove the tank or stock pump for Fass/airdog with a sump kit.

The sump can/should be drilled out from the bottom of the tank with the provided stencil. With the fuel pump being mounted on the frame rail there is no need to remove factory unit. The only factory components used for a Fass or Airdog is the wiring harness which is usually laid on top of the tank.

I love aftermarket components but am a believer in having the option to go back to stock if I am replacing a non damaged/still working piece.

i did the sump/Fass on my 06 5.9 using method above and had no issues. I would have like to pull Fass when I sold it but the added fuel was supporting the rest of the build.

I think drilling the bottom of in tabk unit is to help with a draw straw application instead of sump. The holes help fuel come through a bit more.

2013 Ram 2500
    John 3:16 - Philippians 4:13

FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    mike@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

10. Thanks BlackBart thanked for this post
    Likes AK Bob, timshooter40 liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #16

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TexNeck View Post
    You don’t have to remove the tank or stock pump for Fass/airdog with a sump kit.

The sump can/should be drilled out from the bottom of the tank with the provided stencil. With the fuel pump being mounted on the frame rail there is no need to remove factory unit. The only factory components used for a Fass or Airdog is the wiring harness which is usually laid on top of the tank.

I love aftermarket components but am a believer in having the option to go back to stock if I am replacing a non damaged/still working piece.

i did the sump/Fass on my 06 5.9 using method above and had no issues. I would have like to pull Fass when I sold it but the added fuel was supporting the rest of the build.

I think drilling the bottom of in tabk unit is to help with a draw straw application instead of sump. The holes help fuel come through a bit more.
    Sumthin else I saw... guys were puttin a draw straw in with the sump directly under it. You sayin you can use a sump without a draw straw?

Good stuff.... Truckers bring it

12. Likes timshooter40 liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #17

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BlackBart View Post
    Sumthin else I saw... guys were puttin a draw straw in with the sump directly under it. You sayin you can use a sump without a draw straw?
    Correct - maybe they were switching from draw straw to sump?

The draw straw is for in tank pump- just like a beverage straw works the pump pulls fuel through it from sucking/pulling from the straw up to reach the pump.

The advantage to the sump is it’s literally a hole/catches fuel at the bottom of the tank so gravity works for you.

The draw straw is much smaller area to pull fuel from which is why you hear about 1/4 tank issue.

Once people get to 1/4 tank of fuel and get turning/sloshing fuel around the straw has a hard time pull up fuel.

think like you have a glass with straw that’s about gone and the straw is on the top side of the glass and the beverage on bottom side.

If you wiggle your glass you will suck some up but not much.

Pumps will either use a draw straw or sump

2013 Ram 2500

FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    mike@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

14. Thanks BlackBart, AK Bob thanked for this post
    Likes AK Bob, timshooter40 liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #18

User Info Menu

I don't mean to thread jack but I had ARP 625's put in my truck along with a FASS 165 and sump pump.

Everything was fine on the drive home and let it sit all day, around a half tank of fuel.

Went for a test drive after work and fuel gauge bottomed out.

Ended up hitting it the tank w a hammer and it started working again.

Same thing on the way to the fire station this morning.

Hit it again started working.

Its not throwing any codes either.

2018 2500 Limited Tungsten --- MM3 by DRD, Banks 3.5" horn, Banks grid heater delete, S&B dry filter, JAMO 5", ARP 625, FASS 165 w/sump pump

16. Top Of Page | #19

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JSSmoke1074 View Post
    I don't mean to thread jack but I had ARP 625's put in my truck along with a FASS 165 and sump pump.

Everything was fine on the drive home and let it sit all day, around a half tank of fuel.

Went for a test drive after work and fuel gauge bottomed out.

Ended up hitting it the tank w a hammer and it started working again.

Same thing on the way to the fire station this morning.

Hit it again started working.

Its not throwing any codes either.
    Sounds like there is a loose connection on the harness For Fass- I would double check your connection and make sure the locking tab is engaged!

2013 Ram 2500

FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    mike@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

17. Likes timshooter40 liked this post
  18. Top Of Page | #20

User Info Menu

Whats makes you think that the FASS connection would dictate wether my fuel worked properly???

2018 2500 Limited Tungsten --- MM3 by DRD, Banks 3.5" horn, Banks grid heater delete, S&B dry filter, JAMO 5", ARP 625, FASS 165 w/sump pump

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast