Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  8

Thread: Picking the correct lift pump and sump kit for my application. Do I need a sump?

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Picking the correct lift pump and sump kit for my application. Do I need a sump?

I'm wanting to add either a FASS or Air Dog lift pump system and was wanting some sump kit advice as well.

Truck is a stock 2010 3500 dually 350 horse 6.7 with the G56 6 speed that pulls and hauls heavy weight about half the time.

I watched several pros and cons videos respective to the two systems.

Looks like the FASS has bigger 5/8" vs 1/2" fittings and thicker 10 gauge wiring per the owner and something about the radiuses and bends vs sharp 90s adding cavitation (not sure about all that last part).

Looks like the FASS has bigger filters and motor but also a bigger profile hanging down underneath.

Looks like the Air Dog suction line gets drilled into the top of the sending unit whereas the FASS gets drilled into the tank itself. I think returns are thru stock returns is that correct?

Seems like I would be worried about getting the suction line spacing relative to the bottom of the tank right. Is the thickness of a quarter enough?

Regarding sumps I see the wisdom of gravity feeding vs sucking thru a straw but what about sediments?

Based on my vehicle and what I use it for, what recommendation would y'all have for a lift pump and sump and do I need a sump?

2. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Picking the correct lift pump and sump kit for my application. Do I need a sump?

Quote Originally Posted by hogzillanator View Post
    I'm wanting to add either a FASS or Air Dog lift pump system and was wanting some sump kit advice as well.

Truck is a stock 2010 3500 dually 350 horse 6.7 with the G56 6 speed that pulls and hauls heavy weight about half the time.

I watched several pros and cons videos respective to the two systems.

Looks like the FASS has bigger 5/8" vs 1/2" fittings and thicker 10 gauge wiring per the owner and something about the radiuses and bends vs sharp 90s adding cavitation (not sure about all that last part).

Looks like the FASS has bigger filters and motor but also a bigger profile hanging down underneath.

Looks like the Air Dog suction line gets drilled into the top of the sending unit whereas the FASS gets drilled into the tank itself. I think returns are thru stock returns is that correct?

Seems like I would be worried about getting the suction line spacing relative to the bottom of the tank right. Is the thickness of a quarter enough?

Regarding sumps I see the wisdom of gravity feeding vs sucking thru a straw but what about sediments?

Based on my vehicle and what I use it for, what recommendation would y'all have for a lift pump and sump and do I need a sump?
    Check out the Fuelab velocity lift pumps, I installed the velocity 200 on my ‘11 and used a G&R sump kit, it has been a great pump and it is very quiet. The pump is also pwm controllable.

2011 mega cab sleeper nuff said
    If you can’t fix it with a hammer you have an electrical problem

4. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Re: Picking the correct lift pump and sump kit for my application. Do I need a sump?

I’d would go with FASS myself- had one on my 5.9 truck and it is straight forward install. The sump is the most intimidating part.

Beans diesel has a 1 bolt sump for easy install. The one I bought at the time had about 8 fasteners but I never had an issue.

If you are skeptical of the sump watch beans diesel torture test on YouTube. Pretty wild what it can handle!

Clayton with Dudes Diesel can hook you up once you decide on what you’d like.

He’s a great vendor on here!

2013 Ram 2500
    John 3:16 - Philippians 4:13

See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    mike@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

6. Thanks watersupply189, david3gen thanked for this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

I too prefer FASS over Airdog and I've had both.

And the Bean's sumps are one of the best on the market hands down!

2018 Ram 2500 4x4 G56
    Romans 10:13

See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    joe@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

8. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

what are you using for a PWM input control? I like the G&R that's the one I think I'm going to run.

10. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

OK thx I'll check out the Beans.

I'm all about easy.

12. Likes watersupply189 liked this post