Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  5
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 4th gen dually tires

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

4th gen dually tires

Just purchased my first cummins and I'm new to the forum. I know that there are many people saying that it is safe to run 255/80 r17's on a stock dually with stock rims. If possible I would like to see the clearance between the rear tires while a load is on the truck. Really don't want to run spacers just to tow the camper.

Thanks

2. Likes walla2k5 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: 4th gen dually tires

Quote Originally Posted by Jtcfarmall View Post
    Just purchased my first cummins and I'm new to the forum. I know that there are many people saying that it is safe to run 255/80 r17's on a stock dually with stock rims. If possible I would like to see the clearance between the rear tires while a load is on the truck. Really don't want to run spacers just to tow the camper.

Thanks
    20190602_201822.jpg

That is with only 55 to 60 psi with a 3k pin weight horse trailer on them. I put them up to 70 to 75 and got about 1/2". I can get the higher preasure pic this weekend.

2021 2500 68RFE..... I'll just keep the goodies a secret!!!

4. Likes walla2k5, cumminsdieselfreak liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

That is tight.

The updated picture with the higher pressures would be awesome.

I'm assuming unloaded at your current pressures would also have about a 1/2 inch gap.

I'm in the same situation my pin weight is also 3K which is why I am worried about clearance.

How do you like the st max's? I'm looking at those and the ridge Grapplers.

6. Likes walla2k5 liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

That is tight.

The updated picture with the higher pressures would be awesome.

I'm assuming unloaded at your current pressures would also have about a 1/2 inch gap.

I'm in the same situation my pin weight is also 3K which is why I am worried about clearance.

How do you like the st max's? I'm looking at those and the ridge Grapplers.
    I have had good luck with the st maxx. Had a set on my last 2012 dually and now my 2019.

On the 2012 I also ran the 255x80's and hauled heavy alot with no issues. On the 2012 they only lasted for 30k.

The only thing I dislike is the amount of rocks that they throw at my truck. But that's because of my farm road being gravel.

Now I think with my 2019 I'm actually going to something different on my next set. Going to run either 285x75 or 35x12.50. Either one I'll have to run high quality 2" spacers.

8. Likes cumminsdieselfreak liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Why do you think you got low mileage on the 2012? Have you ever used the spacers while pulling heavy before? I thought about getting some but concerned with the weight.

10. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Why do you think you got low mileage on the 2012? Have you ever used the spacers while pulling heavy before? I thought about getting some but concerned with the weight.
    I think low mileage because I always ran high pressure and wore the centers down quickly because of the skinny rims.

I used spacers on the 12 when I ran a set of 285x75x17 Terra Grapplers. Hauled a lot of heavy loads and they were cheap aluminum ones.

I would love to get wider wheels on my 19 but do not want to drop 4k on wheels and tires.

Back to tire wear. I have had a 2007, 2012, and now the 19. I have never been able to get more than 30k out of a set. But I have skinny wheels, haul a lot, and live in south western PA with all the hills.

11. Thanks Fid thanked for this post
  12. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

That's good to know about the spacers. I'm not quite ready to spend 4k either so it maybe spacers for me. We just got home from Pennsylvania it's beautiful up there. We were in Lancaster for the sight and sound theater and to tour the amish country. I'm hoping for better mileage although I'm sure I will not get it.

13. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

That's good to know about the spacers. I'm not quite ready to spend 4k either so it maybe spacers for me. We just got home from Pennsylvania it's beautiful up there. We were in Lancaster for the sight and sound theater and to tour the amish country. I'm hoping for better mileage although I'm sure I will not get it.
    I'm not sure how these ones will do. I have 4700 miles on them and about to rotate them.

I hope they still have good tread towards new years. Going on a 5,000 mile road trip out to Jackson WY them down to OK then back to PA.

14. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

That will be a nice trip. Will you be towing? What transmission and gear ratio do you have?

15. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

That will be a nice trip. Will you be towing? What transmission and gear ratio do you have?
    Just running empty.

I got the 68RFE and 3.73's

How about you?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast