Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  11

Thread: Break Fluid

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Lightbulb Break Fluid

If this has been covered I apologize but, what's the deal with changing the break fluid. I just learned this should be done every few years because break fluid attracts moisture. TRUE??

I figure I would use one of those suction things that you put the juice over the Turkey to remove as much of the fluid from the master cylinder as I could. Then fill with fresh fluid - DOT 3 I believe. Just thinking through this, it may be better to bleed the closest caliper first. This way i remove the remaining dirty fluid from the master cylinder at the closer wheel. Then work to the passenger front then driver rear then passenger rear. This pattern may reduce the chances of drawing old fluid into the fresh fluid.

Is this something i should add to the routine maintenance schedule? Does anyone else flush their break fluid? What bleed order do you follow?

Cheers,

2012 Ram 3500 Laramie, 3" BDS Coil over, DuraFlap, 68RFE, 4.10, 35s, Front receiver, Krown protected

2. Likes watersupply189, Thomas1960, walla2k5 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Break Fluid

Correct, brake fluid is Glycol based, which makes it absorb moisture. Moisture enters the brake fluid from pores in hoses, seals, joints ect. As brake fluid absorbs water it lowers its boiling point and performance, so it's good to bleed the brakes every couple years to keep the fluid is optimum condition. I usually do the furthest caliper to the closest.

4. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Re: Break Fluid

X2, bleed furthest corner to nearest.

2013 Ram 2500 Big Horn 4x4 G56 CCLB 6.7, MM3 Tuned by Double R Diesel, Flo-Pro 4" Exhaust, Deviant Race Parts Goodies, ARP Head Studs, South Bend Clutch, 3" Thuren Front Springs w/Fox Shocks All-Around, Hell-Bent Steel Steering Box Brace, Thuren Track Bar, Air-Lift 5000, Deviant Race Parts 70" Traction Bars, Falken Wild-Peak AT3W LT285/75R18 (34.8x11.3x18) on Moto Metal MO970 18x9 +18mm