Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  4

Thread: Computer Question

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Computer Question

So apparently my ecm/pcm or whatever it's called has went bad and my mm3 won't communicate with it. What exactly is required when changing this out as far as programming a new computer for it? I'm not personally doing it but the shop I was recommended to take it to seems kinda clueless on this process to me. Also what's a good ballpark price on a new computer along with programming it to my truck?

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Computer Question

should just reflash it without issue

3. Thanks Polaraco thanked for this post
    Likes Polaraco liked this post
  4. Top Of Page | #3
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

With the shop leaving you feeling they are clueless on their possible repair ... I'd look going elsewhere

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

5. Thanks Polaraco thanked for this post
    Likes Polaraco, cumminsdieselfreak liked this post
  6. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Ok so I reread this.

If your PCM went bad. The process of swapping it can be done by yourself as a replacement PCM should come pre-programmed. Pull the old one out, put the new one in. Done & Done.

Then swing by your local dealership and have them run an update scan on it and install any updates that are available.

Then, install your MM3 and reflash per the instructions.

Or just swap the new PCM in, and then throw the MM3 at it and move on. Nobody, other than a dealership, should be talking to you about any kind of programming to a computer that should come direct from FCA.

7. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DBritt8715 View Post
    So apparently my ecm/pcm or whatever it's called has went bad and my mm3 won't communicate with it. What exactly is required when changing this out as far as programming a new computer for it? I'm not personally doing it but the shop I was recommended to take it to seems kinda clueless on this process to me. Also what's a good ballpark price on a new computer along with programming it to my truck?
    Quote Originally Posted by AnOldBiker View Post
    With the shop leaving you feeling they are clueless on their possible repair ... I'd look going elsewhere
    Quote Originally Posted by RamIt View Post
    Ok so I reread this.

If your PCM went bad. The process of swapping it can be done by yourself as a replacement PCM should come pre-programmed. Pull the old one out, put the new one in. Done & Done.

Then swing by your local dealership and have them run an update scan on it and install any updates that are available.

Then, install your MM3 and reflash per the instructions.

Or just swap the new PCM in, and then throw the MM3 at it and move on. Nobody, other than a dealership, should be talking to you about any kind of programming to a computer that should come direct from FCA.
    Once again, you're right on target Ramit. I'm glad you're here. I don't know crap about these 4th gens. But some things are the same across 3rd and 4th gens. Retrofitting a new ECM is a dealer job.

I'd get the truck out of there and find a dealer who knows these trucks. You have to bite the bullet on this one.

I didn't see you say the truck is still running?

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

8. Thanks RamIt thanked for this post
    Likes RamIt liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Computer Question

Quote Originally Posted by Polaraco View Post
    Once again, you're right on target Ramit. I'm glad you're here. I don't know crap about these 4th gens. But some things are the same across 3rd and 4th gens. Retrofitting a new ECM is a dealer job.

I'd get the truck out of there and find a dealer who knows these trucks. You have to bite the bullet on this one.

I didn't see you say the truck is still running?
    Thank you! I’m glad the info is helpful.

To your point though, the PCM is under the hood and it’s a pretty simple process to swap. There’s a how to video on YouTube.

The PCM gets ordered by VIN and is programmed to the vehicle. So swapping it in is as easy as unplugging the old one and plugging the new one in. It’s comparable to the race PCM for the Demon.

2021 3500 Mega HO DRW

10. Top Of Page | #7
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Hopefully you all don’t mind me asking a question on here. But I also am having problems with my truck, I think it’s the PCM but not completely sure. I have a 2007 with the 6.7L and about 3 weeks ago my pickup lost all power to the starter. Took it to the dealer 3 times since then. The pickup was deleted. I live in California so I put it all back to stock, reflashed stock tunes on it, got it smoged, them deleted it once again and reflashed my delete tune on it. Ran for about a while and it worked great. Aaaaannnnnnddd then it died at the ace parking lot. But anyways, let’s get to the point. When it was at the dealer they saw the original vin in the pcm was completely scrambled. Not even close to original. Then they accused me that the injectors where burned out. There stock injectors with 181,000 on it. It’s odd cause then injector codes started popping up. They reflashed the pcm with the injector numbers and contacted star. Star says the injectors are burned out and that they should be replaced, for 7,000 dollars!!! What do you guys think? Hopefully I explained this ok.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro