Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  9
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Fuel mileage delema

1. Top Of Page | #21

User Info Menu

Re: Fuel mileage delema

Quote Originally Posted by 6.7 Coal Train View Post
    I'm doing around 18 +/- highway in the summer at 75mph and was disappointed.

I'm sure if I could manage to commit to 70mph tops I'd do a bit better but thought I'd push 20mpg easily after deletes on 120hp tune.

going back to 33" tires next time around too to see if that helps (34 right now).

EDIT: 3.42 gears
    Tires make a huge difference, I had 285/65R20 34.8" tall 11.50" wide nitto exo grapplers (68.5lbs each) and lost ~ 3mpg from the stock tire size. Aggressive tread and a heavy tire = not the best fuel mileage. I switched to a 295/60R20 34.13" tall 11.50" wide cooper AT3 XLT (61lbs each) tire and gained back ~ 1.5mpg from the nittos. I would say 18mpg is pretty darn good for a 7k lb truck. I got a nissan frontier for a rental and hand calculated the fuel mileage and it got a whopping 19.7 mpg - that truck only weighs ~ 4200 lbs and its 2wd. I don't know about you, but I wouldn't trade my truck in for a nissan frontier because it got better fuel mileage.

2017 RAM 2500 Big Horn sport appearance package, Auto Level Rear Suspension, MM3 "switch" Fully deleted - tuned by DRD, Fleece Cheetah, Airaid Jr. CAI, 3.5" Banks Monster intake horn, Pusher Boost Tubes, 5" TBE with a Flo~Pro Twister muffler, *** EGR disappear kit, Black Market Performance CAT fuel filter and water separator, Black Market Performance fuel heater, Black Market Performance head studs, AFE deep trans pan, Revmax trans cooler bypass, Revmax HD Valve Body, DPC Low stall converter with billet flywheel, AFE pro series rear diff cover, Amsoil throughout provided by mcsynthetics.myamsoil.com

2. Thanks 6.7 Coal Train thanked for this post
    Likes 6.7 Coal Train liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #22

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MC250r719 View Post
    Tires make a huge difference, I had 285/65R20 34.8" tall 11.50" wide nitto exo grapplers (68.5lbs each) and lost ~ 3mpg from the stock tire size. Aggressive tread and a heavy tire = not the best fuel mileage. I switched to a 295/60R20 34.13" tall 11.50" wide cooper AT3 XLT (61lbs each) tire and gained back ~ 1.5mpg from the nittos. I would say 18mpg is pretty darn good for a 7k lb truck. I got a nissan frontier for a rental and hand calculated the fuel mileage and it got a whopping 19.7 mpg - that truck only weighs ~ 4200 lbs and its 2wd. I don't know about you, but I wouldn't trade my truck in for a nissan frontier because it got better fuel mileage.
    Completely agree. I'm thrilled with my mileage compared my lifted 1500 with 35's it replaced. Lucky to touch 15mpg in that.

Just hear people talk about getting 30mpg in their 5.9's and some guys claiming over 21mpg in their 6.7's I thought I'd do a bit better deleted and tuned over stock cruising highway.

I have noticed a very minor increase since I started using Archoil additive too, but nothing to write home about.

I'm on 295/60R20 Toyo M/T right now. We'll see what a 33x12.5 General Grabber M/T does in a few months.

I'm also only about 5 miles from work so lots of short trips during the week killing overall mileage, but talking strictly highway cruising in this instance.

4. Top Of Page | #23

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 6.7 Coal Train View Post
    Completely agree. I'm thrilled with my mileage compared my lifted 1500 with 35's it replaced. Lucky to touch 15mpg in that.

Just hear people talk about getting 30mpg in their 5.9's and some guys claiming over 21mpg in their 6.7's I thought I'd do a bit better deleted and tuned over stock cruising highway.

I have noticed a very minor increase since I started using Archoil additive too, but nothing to write home about.

I'm on 295/60R20 Toyo M/T right now. We'll see what a 33x12.5 General Grabber M/T does in a few months.

I'm also only about 5 miles from work so lots of short trips during the week killing overall mileage, but talking strictly highway cruising in this instance.
    I thought I would get a lot better mileage when I deleted mine as well but I pretty much got the same as when the truck was stock.

The M/T's wont help but the tire size will. Speed is a huge factor as well. I topped off fuel in Portage IN and went to Belvidere IL doing 60mph drafting a semi and got close to 28mpg hand calculated all highway, topped off right when I got off the highway in Belvidere. Was it painful yes, was it worth the experiment yes, would I do it again no LOL.

I wanted to get 305/55R20 tires but Discount Tire would not install that wide of a tire on the factory wheel.

2017 RAM 2500 Big Horn sport appearance package, Auto Level Rear Suspension, MM3 "switch" Fully deleted - tuned by DRD, Fleece Cheetah, Airaid Jr. CAI, 3.5" Banks Monster intake horn, Pusher Boost Tubes, 5" TBE with a Flo~Pro Twister muffler, *** EGR disappear kit, Black Market Performance CAT fuel filter and water separator, Black Market Performance fuel heater, Black Market Performance head studs, AFE deep trans pan, Revmax trans cooler bypass, Revmax HD Valve Body, DPC Low stall converter with billet flywheel, AFE pro series rear diff cover, Amsoil throughout provided by mcsynthetics.myamsoil.com

5. Likes 6.7 Coal Train liked this post
  6. Top Of Page | #24

User Info Menu

I’ve been looking at tire options for some improvement to mileage. The 69 lb Toyos I have are heavy.

30mpg in a 5.9 I don’t buy at all. I had one and it got better mileage relatively speaking but not near 30. Only way to get good mileage with those is all stock and keep speed down. Low to mid 20s if you drive it right

Overall love these trucks- you gotta pay to play at the end of the day so here we are!

2013 Ram 2500
    John 3:16 - Philippians 4:13

See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    mike@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

7. Likes 6.7 Coal Train liked this post
  8. Top Of Page | #25

User Info Menu

Just for sake of arguement. 2015, 4x4, 35s on 3.42s, DRD tuning.

http://www.fuelly.com/car/ram/2500/2...cinskim/375898

fuelly.jpg

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123