Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  10

Thread: Turbo is going out, need help

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Turbo is going out, need help

So I am pretty sure the actuator on my turbo is going out or the slide ring is all blocked up and wont move. I keep getting code P00AF "turobochager boost control module performance ". The VGT stops working and I loose the use of the exhaust break. I pull over and reset the code and it will work for a few minutes and then the code is thrown again. Only happens while towing.
    So I am going to try and clean up the turbo and see if that helps. Next option is a replacement for the turbo.
    I have noticed that there are 2 different turbos from holset out there. HE351VE(pre-2013) and the HE300VG(post-2013). My truck year is a 2014. The issue is price. The newer model turbo is like 2500$ and the older model is like 1200.
    Can I drop in the old style(HE351VE) and use that? Has anyone had any experience with this or tried it

2014 2500, tuned by DRD at 20k miles
    Sitting at 52k miles. No other fuel mods/engine mods.
    Thank you for your time God bless.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

2014 2055
    Deleted, tuned(DRD)
    Fully Build 68RFE by BD Diesel
    SXE 64.5 fixed vane turbo
    Inline exhaust break
    Stock CP3 and injectors

2. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Turbo is going out, need help

Quote Originally Posted by bajaben View Post
    So I am pretty sure the actuator on my turbo is going out or the slide ring is all blocked up and wont move. I keep getting code P00AF "turobochager boost control module performance ". The VGT stops working and I loose the use of the exhaust break. I pull over and reset the code and it will work for a few minutes and then the code is thrown again. Only happens while towing.
    So I am going to try and clean up the turbo and see if that helps. Next option is a replacement for the turbo.
    I have noticed that there are 2 different turbos from holset out there. HE351VE(pre-2013) and the HE300VG(post-2013). My truck year is a 2014. The issue is price. The newer model turbo is like 2500$ and the older model is like 1200.
    Can I drop in the old style(HE351VE) and use that? Has anyone had any experience with this or tried it

2014 2500, tuned by DRD at 20k miles
    Sitting at 52k miles. No other fuel mods/engine mods.
    Thank you for your time God bless.

Hit up Clayton with Dudes diesel performance and he can get you fixed up with a drop in replacement or something aftermarket that will work. I’m guessing you want to retain factory exhaust brake?

2013 Ram 2500
    John 3:16 - Philippians 4:13

See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    mike@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

4. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

i have the same issue as you with my actuator failing. i currently have my actuator unplugged so it wont close and get stuck. when i was looking for stock turbos i found a couple re manufactured ones for $1500. for the older turbo question i imagine it would work but im not sure.

6. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

I would lean towards not installing the 351 on your truck as it may not function properly; however, I can't say for sure.

As @K3n357 mentioned, reman'd options are cost effective if you can find them. Alternatively, you could replace the actuator with an upgraded unit for about $700.

As a final option, a Fleece Cheetah is $2800 and would be a far superior replacement than an OE turbo and is still a drop-in option.
    Alternatively, the ATS Aurora 3000 VFR is priced at $2979, is also a drop-in, and seems to be a contender against the Cheetah.

8. Likes watersupply189, InlineSix.7 liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Yes, I would like to keep the factory exhaust break if possible. I tow often enough that I want one for safety reasons.
    I also spoke with some guys at Diesel Power Products and they told me that the older turbo is not compatible with the newer trucks. The wire connections do not match up.
    I am also lookin at the Kit made by BD Diesel, new turbo, manifold and the inline exhaust break. It would cost the same as a drop in cheetah or BD screamer. And that would eliminate the VGT problem for good.
    I am going to reach out to Clayton and see what we can work out for a kit and shipping to Alaska ( it sucks to ship up here)

2014 2055
    Deleted, tuned(DRD)
    Inline exhaust break
    Stock CP3 and injectors

10. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bajaben View Post
    Yes, I would like to keep the factory exhaust break if possible. I tow often enough that I want one for safety reasons.
    I also spoke with some guys at Diesel Power Products and they told me that the older turbo is not compatible with the newer trucks. The wire connections do not match up.
    I am also lookin at the Kit made by BD Diesel, new turbo, manifold and the inline exhaust break. It would cost the same as a drop in cheetah or BD screamer. And that would eliminate the VGT problem for good.
    I am going to reach out to Clayton and see what we can work out for a kit and shipping to Alaska ( it sucks to ship up here)

Do you have just egr less tuning or are you deleted? Do you have a whistle tune on thetruck? What power setting have you beenrunning most of the time.
    Do you have a CCV delete? So my recommendation is go witha turbo that will be able to support the extra power and needs from drdtuning. I have used the inline exhaust Brake beforebut they were on a handshaker. There wereissues with the old cummins autos’ don’tknow how they fair with the new auto’s . Also how and if they communicate with DRD tuning. Another option would be buy the rebuild partsand have a shop rebuild your turbo. Well I guess you may be limited for that inAlaska.

2017 WON TON CC LB 68AUTO
    Secret stuff that make it vroom and whistle better Thuren 2.25 w/2.0 Fox Resi

Justin
    Southern Oregon ( the Republican part)
    UNITEDSTATES MARINE CORPS 1993-2007
    No better friend, No better enemy.

12. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DIESELWRKS View Post
    Do you have just egr less tuning or are you deleted? Do you have a whistle tune on thetruck? What power setting have you beenrunning most of the time.
    Do you have a CCV delete? So my recommendation is go witha turbo that will be able to support the extra power and needs from drdtuning. I have used the inline exhaust Brake beforebut they were on a handshaker. There wereissues with the old cummins autos’ don’tknow how they fair with the new auto’s . Also how and if they communicate with DRD tuning. Another option would be buy the rebuild partsand have a shop rebuild your turbo. Well I guess you may be limited for that inAlaska.
    Full delete. CCV is still on, but I have the parts for the CCV delete in the garage waiting. Normally run 60hp around town and then 30hp while towing.
    I do agree with getting a tube that I can build on. I am leaning that way now. Spoke with the guys at DRD and they gave me the run down on what's what. They can support any of the mods I am looking at, including the inline exhaust break(great guys of course).
    Still dont know what I am going to do as of yet. I am going to try and clean it out, but I think ultimately that is just a band aid fix. With the inline exhaust break I can eliminate the problem of the VGT going bad again.

2014 2055
    Deleted, tuned(DRD)
    Inline exhaust break
    Stock CP3 and injectors

14. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

still recommend doing some searching and having your turbo rebuilt but made stronger. other than that there is of course the 2ng gen swap. and a really strong 3rd gen swap out there as well. one thing to consider long term down the road if you will be stationed at another place that would have emission testing. Good luck. New op's order and frag order ( turbo fix)

2017 WON TON CC LB 68AUTO
    Secret stuff that make it vroom and whistle better Thuren 2.25 w/2.0 Fox Resi

Justin
    Southern Oregon ( the Republican part)
    UNITEDSTATES MARINE CORPS 1993-2007
    No better friend, No better enemy.

16. Likes watersupply189, bajaben liked this post