Thanks Thanks:  7
Likes Likes:  41
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Intake Issues

1. Top Of Page | #21

User Info Menu

Re: Intake Issues

I'm a certified member of the ICML and I've been through all the filter training. The oiled filters simply don't cut it, but somehow they have got people to believe they provide better performance.

Diesel Master Tech Certified - ICML Machinery Lube Certified

2002 QCLB 2500 5.9 HO NV5600 =
    Ranch truck with CM Flatbed, DPS Exh/Int Manifolds, Boost Elbow
    2018 CCLB 2500 ST 6.7 G56 = Glacier intake manifold & horn, Flo-pro 4" SS, MM3 with DRD 30hp tune, Valair quiet dual disc clutch, Laramie 18's powder coated black and blackout badges

2. Thanks SyN thanked for this post
    Likes InlineSix.7, Power247, SyN liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #22
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

On my 1st turbo, having a K&N, I noticed it pulled tiny droplets of oil to the blades.

Since the blades travel at mega speed, throwing them off balance scared me.

It was out and in the trash .. never to be bought again. (this truck has 'never' seen a k&n product)

Only paper or cloth since.

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

4. Thanks flanagan thanked for this post
    Likes InlineSix.7, Power247, Thomas1960 liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #23

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wy4x4 View Post
    You will end up winning in the long run IF YOU THROW AWAY THE K&N OILED FILTER. My God why do people still run these? It is aggravating as all get out.

The stock intake and paper filter is MORE THAN ADEQUATE for your needs and actually filters the air.

Sorry that is just my inner mechanic coming out, many years of off highway engine failure analysis.
    Thanks for taking the time to chime in. I didn't put that filter back in. It just made me nervous.

Cheers,

2012 Ram 3500 Laramie, 3" BDS Coil over, DuraFlap, 68RFE, 4.10, 35s, Front receiver, Krown protected

6. Likes flanagan, Thomas1960 liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #24

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by CMB View Post
    Thanks for taking the time to chime in. I didn't put that filter back in. It just made me nervous.

Cheers
    Good call my friend.

Your engine thanks you.

Diesel Master Tech Certified - ICML Machinery Lube Certified

2002 QCLB 2500 5.9 HO NV5600 =
    Ranch truck with CM Flatbed, DPS Exh/Int Manifolds, Boost Elbow
    2018 CCLB 2500 ST 6.7 G56 = Glacier intake manifold & horn, Flo-pro 4" SS, MM3 with DRD 30hp tune, Valair quiet dual disc clutch, Laramie 18's powder coated black and blackout badges

8. Top Of Page | #25

User Info Menu

I installed S&B CAI on my 2018 2500 4 months ago.

Sounds great but there seems to be a jolt or hiccup in low RPMs, 1100ish, that doesn’t seem right and wasn’t there before.

Any ideas or just go back to stock.

I’m about to tune the truck but I don’t know if I want to see if that fixes it or just use the stock Intake.

Any ideas?

9. Top Of Page | #26

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbuild View Post

Sounds great but there seems to be a jolt or hiccup in low RPMs, 1100ish, that doesn’t seem right and wasn’t there before.

I’m about to tune the truck but I don’t know if I want to see if that fixes it or just use the stock Intake.

Any ideas?
    Is your truck tuned?

Join as a Lifetime Platinum Member Today

"The grass is greener where you water it"

10. Top Of Page | #27

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbuild View Post

Any ideas?
    If you’re not planning on running big power and don’t care about how cool under the hood looks go back to stock.

The stock unit is good for 600+HP with the standard paper filter.

2013 Ram 2500
    John 3:16 - Philippians 4:13

See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    mike@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

11. Likes SyN liked this post
  12. Top Of Page | #28

User Info Menu

Yep, as others have said the stock intake especially on 2013 and up with the "ram air" intake box is already a cold air intake pulling from the grill when it needs the power. And the stock filter flows more air than your engine can use unless your racing and going over 600HP.

If you wanted to you could remove the cold air baffle plate so its always pulling cold but otherwise its a waste of money to buy a CAI for these trucks.

And stick with the stock filter, Its 10x better than a K&N at filtering and flows more air than you can use

2015 Ram 2500 Laramie, full delete, 4.88 gears, 40" Milestar Patagonia on Method wheels AEV 3" dual sport suspension, Thuren softride coils King Shocks with resi's

13. Likes SyN liked this post
  14. Top Of Page | #29

User Info Menu

I ran an S&B intake for a while, when the truck was stock and after it was "enhanced." Didn't notice any significant performance gains or losses. The exhaust brake was a tiny bit louder, but that's it.

That being said, I sold my S&B and went back to stock for 2 reasons: 1) I pulled the intake a couple of times to do other maintenance on the truck and each time noticed a very light film of dust on the compressor inlet. 2) I was never happy with the way the S&B hard pipe coupled to the turbo. The coupler seemed too shallow, like it could pop off either the compressor inlet or the hard pipe if I hit a bump the wrong way. It just never fit "right" to me.

One thing I did notice about my S&B right out of the box: there was some pretty big pieces of plastic "slag" hanging from the ports for the IAT and MAF sensors. I cleaned it with a deburring tool and blew out the intake pipe before installation. I suppose, in your case, that a piece of that excess plastic could have partially blocked your MAF sensor causing it to feed a wonky reading to the ECM. Who knows. Nowadays, I feel like stock airbox is the way to go unless you're running a 2nd gen or 3rd gen turbo swap.

15. Likes AK Bob, timshooter40 liked this post
  16. Top Of Page | #30

User Info Menu

I run a S&B on my 2015 with a borgwarner 364.5 turbo never had any problems.

Now I've heard that the oiled filters could have oil pulled thru and trash your maf sensor.

17. Likes timshooter40 liked this post
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast