Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Crank but no start!

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Crank but no start!

I’m new to this so hope I’m doing this all correctly.

I have a 2013 Ram 2500, 6.7l diesel 4x4 automatic, crew cab, Laramie edition pick up. It’s been deleted and re-flashed by previous owner. No more DEF, EGR, DPF or CAT. Have 4” pipe and a muffler. Bought in Texas and drove home to Colorado. Changed fuel and oil filters and oil. Next day went to start and it cranked over just fine but would not fire. A few days later it fired up fine and ran for a few more days. I added low and high pressure fuel gauges and a pyro gauge over concerns of lift pump issues. Fuel pressures look good. Low at idle is about 13-14 psi and highway is around 10. Fuel rail is 4500 at idle and pops up to 25000+ when accelerating. It’s been over a week since it last ran. I noticed when it cranks and doesn’t fire that the fuel pump doesn’t run and the sunroof, rear slider and rear windows are also not working. I had a locksmith come out to program new fobs thinking I may be related to some security module and was having issues with my old fob. Locksmith said the computer would not give him access to what he needed to program fobs. Don’t know if they are related but I think that’s all I know at this point. Hope you can help. I’ll provide any other info you need.

Thanks in advance!

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Crank but no start!

Quote Originally Posted by Papafunguy View Post

I have a 2013 Ram 2500, 6.7l diesel 4x4 automatic, crew cab, Laramie edition pick up. It’s been deleted and re-flashed by previous owner. No more DEF, EGR, DPF or CAT. Have 4” pipe and a muffler. Bought in Texas and drove home to Colorado. Changed fuel and oil filters and oil. Next day went to start and it cranked over just fine but would not fire. A few days later it fired up fine and ran for a few more days. I added low and high pressure fuel gauges and a pyro gauge over concerns of lift pump issues. Fuel pressures look good. Low at idle is about 13-14 psi and highway is around 10. Fuel rail is 4500 at idle and pops up to 25000+ when accelerating. It’s been over a week since it last ran. I noticed when it cranks and doesn’t fire that the fuel pump doesn’t run and the sunroof, rear slider and rear windows are also not working. I had a locksmith come out to program new fobs thinking I may be related to some security module and was having issues with my old fob. Locksmith said the computer would not give him access to what he needed to program fobs. Don’t know if they are related but I think that’s all I know at this point. Hope you can help. I’ll provide any other info you need.

Thanks in advance!
    What did they say where you bought it?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

3. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doon View Post
    What did they say where you bought it?

Also, there has got to be a diesel shop near you somewhere in Colorado, no?

4. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Thanks in advance!
    The second time it wouldn't start, was it directly after you installed gauges? Did you properly prime the fuel system after the filter change & gauge install?

2018 Ram 2500 4x4 G56
    Romans 10:13

See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    joe@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

5. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

I bought as-is and they won’t warranty anything. Also has 214000 miles on it. Mostly hwy between Oklahoma and Texas.

6. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

I bought as-is and they won’t warranty anything. Also has 214000 miles on it. Mostly hwy between Oklahoma and Texas.

7. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

When truck fired up it ran fine for a few days after filter change and gauges. That’s why I’m thinking it is an electronic issue and also because the fuel pump, sunroof, rear windows and rear slider don’t work when it won’t start and when it does start everything else works. Fuses are all fine.

Is there a module somewhere that controls that stuff?

8. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

When truck fired up it ran fine for a few days after filter change and gauges. That’s why I’m thinking it is an electronic issue and also because the fuel pump, sunroof, rear windows and rear slider don’t work when it won’t start and when it does start everything else works. Fuses are all fine.

Is there a module somewhere that controls that stuff?
    ECM/PCM control the fueling/start. Programming alters these.

how are the batteries? Check the CCA and dates on them. These trucks are very finicky with voltage especially when tuned. If they are low at all they’ll cause issues

2013 Ram 2500
    John 3:16 - Philippians 4:13

FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    mike@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

9. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Batteries seem fine. Engine cranks strong and fast, but they are 5 years into 6 year batteries. The first time it failed to start I cranked it over many times the first day then a few more times the following days. I was concerned about the batteries draining down too much but never charged them. Then, it just fired right up and ran for almost a week before failing again... after that I thought the batteries were still ok.

10. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

Batteries seem fine. Engine cranks strong and fast, but they are 5 years into 6 year batteries. The first time it failed to start I cranked it over many times the first day then a few more times the following days. I was concerned about the batteries draining down too much but never charged them. Then, it just fired right up and ran for almost a week before failing again... after that I thought the batteries were still ok.
    5 years is a heck of a run for batteries!

Disconnect them so they are alone and load test each one.

Usually Autozone or some other places will do it free for you.

I bet this is part of your issue!

2013 Ram 2500
    John 3:16 - Philippians 4:13

FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    mike@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast