Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  21

Thread: Engine oil color

1. Top Of Page | #1
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Engine oil color

Just changed my oil. Less than 15K miles. Dealer did the last change. The used oil was really black. Wondering if the dealer actually did the oil change. Is it normal for the oil in a diesel to be super dark when it is changed?

2. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, AnOldBiker, walla2k5 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Engine oil color

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor G View Post
    Just changed my oil. Less than 15K miles. Dealer did the last change. The used oil was really black. Wondering if the dealer actually did the oil change. Is it normal for the oil in a diesel to be super dark when it is changed?
    Yes sir it sure is. You can definitley tell by the smell and or oil sample. If you have ever smelled oil before that has been used for quite some time it has a distinct smell as does new oil. It would take quite a few oil flushes to get it to what it looks like coming out of the bottle. You can always submit an oil sample and send it off for 100% verification. Oil samples are always a good thing to do to help you understand how your engine is doing.

Matthew 6:9-13, 2 Corinthians 5:20
    See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email us at:
    sales@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

4. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

From my understanding the oil gets so black because of the extremely fine soot particles that get into the crank case. They are so fine that they are essentially a dye. Since they are so fine they don't take away from the lubricating properties of the oil, just dye it black. Every diesel I've ever done an oil change on is pitch black in color as well. I wouldn't be too concerned.

5. Likes SyN, watersupply189, AnOldBiker, walla2k5 liked this post
  6. Top Of Page | #4
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

Even with a 2 micron bypass filter, my oil was black right after an oil change almost from the get go.

But confirming with several oil samples, well within specs.

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

7. Likes watersupply189, walla2k5 liked this post
  8. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

This is normal, also assuming you have a stock truck. Deleting the truck will greatly help with keeping your oil cleaner/longer.

2018 Ram 2500 4x4 G56
    Romans 10:13

See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    joe@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

9. Likes watersupply189, walla2k5 liked this post
  10. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Forget what a gas engine oil looks like , cant compare that to a diesel.

Run good oil, good filter and change it.

The color doesn’t mean its not doing its job.

The additive package in oil is there to not just lube but suspend and capture the toxins.

Filter gets 99% of this and you are left with, like someone else said the dye or staining.

2017 WON TON CC LB 68AUTO
    Secret stuff that make it vroom and whistle better Thuren 2.25 w/2.0 Fox Resi

Justin
    Southern Oregon ( the Republican part)
    UNITEDSTATES MARINE CORPS 1993-2007
    No better friend, No better enemy.

11. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes walla2k5, watersupply189 liked this post
  12. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dude's Diesel Performance View Post
    Yes sir it sure is. You can definitley tell by the smell and or oil sample. If you have ever smelled oil before that has been used for quite some time it has a distinct smell as does new oil. It would take quite a few oil flushes to get it to what it looks like coming out of the bottle. You can always submit an oil sample and send it off for 100% verification. Oil samples are always a good thing to do to help you understand how your engine is doing.
    It should stay clear for at least the first 1000.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Workman View Post
    From my understanding the oil gets so black because of the extremely fine soot particles that get into the crank case. They are so fine that they are essentially a dye. Since they are so fine they don't take away from the lubricating properties of the oil, just dye it black. Every diesel I've ever done an oil change on is pitch black in color as well. I wouldn't be too concerned.
    Correct. The cleaner the tune, the longer the oil stays golden

Quote Originally Posted by DIESELWRKS View Post
    Forget what a gas engine oil looks like , cant compare that to a diesel.

Run good oil, good filter and change it.

The color doesn’t mean its not doing its job.

The additive package in oil is there to not just lube but suspend and capture the toxins.

Filter gets 99% of this and you are left with, like someone else said the dye or staining.
    Yeah what he said.

I installed 2 remote oil filters. I have an mpg tune. My oil stays golden for about 10,000 before it starts to tint. I never believed in that 1 Micron bypass deal. For the cost, it doesn't give enough benefit. I use Rotella T6 and add a pint of the Archoil oil modifier. From the sounds of things, people are throwing a ton of money at the truck and the results never get better. I went the logical route, and get 20K out the oil before it changes color. My 08 had the bypass system in it and a similar tune. The oil was black in 5K. 5.9's aren't a close tolerances and I am doing better. I win for 1/2 the cost

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

13. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189 liked this post