Likes Likes:  47
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Intermittent humming noise while coasting

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Intermittent humming noise while coasting

Hey guys, I’ve been experienced a humming noise while coasting. I notice it’s the loudest at about 30mph but can still hear it when I let off the throttle coasting at higher speeds, I can feel I fine in vibration in the gas pedal during the humming which also comes and goes with the noise.

There’s also a high pitched more consistent noise when cruising in 4th gear. Almost like the sound of big knobby tires on the highway, but I have m/t tires.

What could it be? Wheel hub? Driveline? Transmission?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2012 Ram 3500. Full delete. H&S mini maxx. NextGen valvebody. Fuel Maverick wheels, Toyo MT tires. 35/12.5/20. Amp power steps.

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Intermittent humming noise while coasting

Sounds like tires to me.

2006 dodge ram 2500 laramie crew cab 5.9 cummins. 10x20 et-24 fuel offroad with 275.60r20 tires. bully dog gt tuner. 48re ATS built tranny triple disc converter ATS oilpan and transgo quick shifter. 4" turbo back exhaust. brembo discs and pads

3. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by david3gen View Post
    Sounds like tires to me.

I sure hope not, just got the Toyo m/t tires in January and It’s a dually, so it wasn’t cheap! LOL but they do need to be rotated.

2012 Ram 3500. Full delete. H&S mini maxx. NextGen valvebody. Fuel Maverick wheels, Toyo MT tires. 35/12.5/20. Amp power steps.

4. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ThatsaCummins4ya View Post
    I sure hope not, just got the Toyo m/t tires in January and It’s a dually, so it wasn’t cheap! LOL but they do need to be rotated.

The first thing I would do is rotate your tires because you said it needs to be done anyway. If that is not the hum you are hearing then crawl under to look and feel if anything is loose. While you are up in the air rotating your tires is a good time to see if there is any drive line slop. I hope you figure it out soon.

5. Thanks ThatsaCummins4ya thanked for this post
  6. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Intermittent humming noise while coasting

I think it’s got too much of a rubbing/metal friction sound to be tires. Seems to be getting slightly louder as the days go by.

7. Likes watersupply189, cumminsbadgirl liked this post
  8. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

I think it’s got too much of a rubbing/metal friction sound to be tires. Seems to be getting slightly louder as the days go by.

Wheel bearing going bad?

2016 Ram Laramie 3500, G56, 6.7, MM3 by Double R Diesel, Rough Country Leveling, 35x12.50 Nitto G2, HID headlights, Morimoto LED fogs plus a whole lot more!

2016 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab
    Cummins,G56, Rough Country level, Morimoto LED fog lights, LED headlights, Lund Attitude Steps sprayed with Line-X, DRL's Activated, 35x12.50R18 Falken Wildpeak ATW3, Fuel Vapor Wheels Matte Black w/Dark Tint, A.R.E. Truck cap and swing boxes

9. Likes AK Bob, david3gen, cumminsbadgirl liked this post
  10. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by watersupply189 View Post
    Wheel bearing going bad?

2016 Ram Laramie 3500, G56, 6.7, MM3 by Double R Diesel, Rough Country Leveling, 35x12.50 Nitto G2, HID headlights, Morimoto LED fogs plus a whole lot more!
    That might be it, but doesn’t seem to be isolated to a certain wheel and it’s most prominent when it’s in 4th gear coasting to a stop. (auto 68RFE)

11. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, cumminsbadgirl liked this post
  12. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

That might be it, but doesn’t seem to be isolated to a certain wheel and it’s most prominent when it’s in 4th gear coasting to a stop. (auto 68RFE)

Any luck locating the noise?

I'm running st maxx's on my dually and depending on the road surface they can hum a little.

2021 2500 68RFE..... I'll just keep the goodies a secret!!!

13. Likes watersupply189, cumminsbadgirl liked this post
  14. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Booch035 View Post
    Any luck locating the noise?

I'm running st maxx's on my dually and depending on the road surface they can hum a little.
    No not yet, i haven’t done anything to check it out honestly. It’s not a consistent hum though, it’s almost like a grinding/rubbing that goes in and out. That’s the only way I know to describe it. I didn’t want to say grinding cuz it’s not really that harsh of a sound.

I did notice it seems a bit quieter when the TC is locked. But when it unlocks and I’m just coasting to a stop in 4th is the loudest.

15. Likes watersupply189, cumminsbadgirl liked this post
  16. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

I do have balancing beads as well, do those cause any noise?

17. Likes watersupply189, cumminsbadgirl liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast