Thanks Thanks:  7
Likes Likes:  15

Thread: Surging during acceleration

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Surging during acceleration

2012 6.7, 4" TBE, EFI Live with CSP5, fully deleted, S&B intake with a dry type filter, 68RFE, 207k miles (I bought the truck this way a year and a half ago with 160k on the clock. There is no autocal, aftermarket monitor, gauges, etc)

I have had zero issues with the truck and I keep the CSP5 on "2", which is about a 60HP tune according to the tuner. We just got back from a trip to NM (no towing, just loaded with people and our bags) and I had an issue on the way there and back:

1) On the way there, I was passing a couple vehicles and the truck came up with a CEL. It would drive fine afterwards and no noticeable concerns, so I drove it easy the last 50 miles or so and the very next morning I had the code read at autozone. P0087. As soon as I cranked the truck again to attempt looking for obvious leaks, the CEL went away. I put about 200 miles on the truck the next few days we were in NM. I drove it easy for the most part just to get around. No more issues.

2) Yesterday, on the way home, almost back to Baton Rouge (a week and over a 1,000 miles later), I stopped to fill up. I had about 4 gallons left in the tank. Immediately as I was leaving the fuel station, I felt the truck surge under moderate acceleration (25% maybe). Under very mild acceleration (say 10% or so), it would drive fine and on that flat ground, I just set the cruise to get us home (50 miles or so). I got a CEL after leaving the fuel station, but in the main attempt to get home and get my kids dropped off, I had shut it down a few times and the CEL went away. I have no idea what it was at this point. Last night I looked things over but haven't found anything yet.
    When accelerating, the truck seems like it's starving for fuel as it "surges" or wont accelerate very smooth. If I am cruising at, say 40, and try to accelerate, there is just a puff of black smoke as it attempts to accelerate, but the truck just surges. That is the only smoke I ever see - and that is typical of that tune if I press on the accelerator at a low RPM under normal conditions. I tried manually shifting to, but no difference.

Prior to the trip (2,300 miles ago), I performed a lot of routine maintenance:
    Fuel Filter
    Oil Change
    Transmission Fluid/Filters change
    Front/Rear Diff fluid Change
    Xfer Case Fluid change

While under the truck for that maintenance, It was then that I noticed the previous owner installed what appears to be a Mopar fuel filter (68083826AA) I googled to be part of a "severe duty fuel filter kit." It's tucked above the Xfer Case skid plate so it stayed hidden to me. Last night I tried to get that filter locally, but could not get it matched. I also have ordered another new fuel filter for the engine bay (fleetguard this time - I have been using the Baldwins). Since I cant find a match to that "severe duty" filter, I'm getting my buddy at CAT to get me a filter head and 1-R0750 Cat filter to use instead. These will be very readily available to me in the future. I also cleaned the MAP (it was really dirty - maybe never cleaned when the truck was deleted). I checked for any boot leaks or intake leaks between the filter housing and turbo, but I cannot find anything. That was just a visual and feel check - I didn't take it all apart.

I do not have a scan tool as of yet for this truck.

While I wait for those fuel filters, can anyone give me some guidance as to what else could be happening? I'm willing to get some fuel pressure gauges and install fittings to do any tests necessary. I really appreciate any help you can give me - I'm scheduled to do some salt water fishing this weekend and I'd prefer to not leave my truck at home!

2. Thanks watersupply189, cumminsbadgirl thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, cumminsbadgirl liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Surging during acceleration

Well bud it seems like your already on the right track.

Changing that one fuel filter should make a difference if it is clogged up. Only other thing I would say to check is the air filter; it will cause a similar issue if restricted.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

4. Thanks watersupply189, cumminsbadgirl thanked for this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bayougrizz View Post
    2012 6.7, 4" TBE, EFI Live with CSP5, fully deleted, S&B intake with a dry type filter, 68RFE, 207k miles (I bought the truck this way a year and a half ago with 160k on the clock. There is no autocal, aftermarket monitor, gauges, etc)

I have had zero issues with the truck and I keep the CSP5 on "2", which is about a 60HP tune according to the tuner. We just got back from a trip to NM (no towing, just loaded with people and our bags) and I had an issue on the way there and back:

1) On the way there, I was passing a couple vehicles and the truck came up with a CEL. It would drive fine afterwards and no noticeable concerns, so I drove it easy the last 50 miles or so and the very next morning I had the code read at autozone. P0087. As soon as I cranked the truck again to attempt looking for obvious leaks, the CEL went away. I put about 200 miles on the truck the next few days we were in NM. I drove it easy for the most part just to get around. No more issues.

2) Yesterday, on the way home, almost back to Baton Rouge (a week and over a 1,000 miles later), I stopped to fill up. I had about 4 gallons left in the tank. Immediately as I was leaving the fuel station, I felt the truck surge under moderate acceleration (25% maybe). Under very mild acceleration (say 10% or so), it would drive fine and on that flat ground, I just set the cruise to get us home (50 miles or so). I got a CEL after leaving the fuel station, but in the main attempt to get home and get my kids dropped off, I had shut it down a few times and the CEL went away. I have no idea what it was at this point. Last night I looked things over but haven't found anything yet.
    When accelerating, the truck seems like it's starving for fuel as it "surges" or wont accelerate very smooth. If I am cruising at, say 40, and try to accelerate, there is just a puff of black smoke as it attempts to accelerate, but the truck just surges. That is the only smoke I ever see - and that is typical of that tune if I press on the accelerator at a low RPM under normal conditions. I tried manually shifting to, but no difference.

Prior to the trip (2,300 miles ago), I performed a lot of routine maintenance:
    Fuel Filter
    Oil Change
    Transmission Fluid/Filters change
    Front/Rear Diff fluid Change
    Xfer Case Fluid change

While under the truck for that maintenance, It was then that I noticed the previous owner installed what appears to be a Mopar fuel filter (68083826AA) I googled to be part of a "severe duty fuel filter kit." It's tucked above the Xfer Case skid plate so it stayed hidden to me. Last night I tried to get that filter locally, but could not get it matched. I also have ordered another new fuel filter for the engine bay (fleetguard this time - I have been using the Baldwins). Since I cant find a match to that "severe duty" filter, I'm getting my buddy at CAT to get me a filter head and 1-R0750 Cat filter to use instead. These will be very readily available to me in the future. I also cleaned the MAP (it was really dirty - maybe never cleaned when the truck was deleted). I checked for any boot leaks or intake leaks between the filter housing and turbo, but I cannot find anything. That was just a visual and feel check - I didn't take it all apart.

I do not have a scan tool as of yet for this truck.

While I wait for those fuel filters, can anyone give me some guidance as to what else could be happening? I'm willing to get some fuel pressure gauges and install fittings to do any tests necessary. I really appreciate any help you can give me - I'm scheduled to do some salt water fishing this weekend and I'd prefer to not leave my truck at home!
    With 47k + miles on a filter I would bet that’s the issue LOL. Good write up and thanks for the info.

if you’re interested in gauges/a scanner the edge cts2 is a good unit for the money.

MM3 monitor is superior in many ways and could be an option if you were interested in tuning modifications in the future.

regardless if you need anything shoot Clayton with Dudes Diesel Performance a note and he will get you hooked up

2013 Ram 2500
    John 3:16 - Philippians 4:13

See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    mike@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

6. Thanks Bayougrizz thanked for this post
    Likes Western, watersupply189 liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

I love it! These guys are FINALLY telling us everything about the truck. KEEP it up.

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

8. Thanks Bayougrizz thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, Western liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Maybe the lift pump is starting to die? Look for metal shavings in the filter.

A good move would be to put in a Fass lift pump.

S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

10. Likes watersupply189, Western liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Absolutely. I design and troubleshoot control panels for a living... Lack of information is just plain annoying. Thank y'all for allowing me to tell the whole story.

Today I should have a filter head for the CAT filter. I'll do things one step at a time and report back.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

12. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, Western liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bayougrizz View Post
    Absolutely. I design and troubleshoot control panels for a living... Lack of information is just plain annoying. Thank y'all for allowing me to tell the whole story.

Today I should have a filter head for the CAT filter. I'll do things one step at a time and report back.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk
    Yeah I know what you mean. I've been an engineer for 50 years. Today the geniuses seem to think we automatically know all the info.

I've had my fingers in a few panels. Quite a few.

14. Likes watersupply189, Western liked this post