Thanks Thanks:  13
Likes Likes:  41
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: G56 Gear Rollover

1. Top Of Page | #11

User Info Menu

Re: G56 Gear Rollover

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Workman View Post
    I've never ran a ceramic clutch, but from what I've read they are a lot grabbier and not all that great for towing or daily driving. I imagine they would buck a lot more too.
    Thank you for the feed back.

2016 Ram Laramie 3500, G56, 6.7, MM3 by Double R Diesel, Rough Country Leveling, 35x12.50 Nitto G2, HID headlights, Morimoto LED fogs plus a whole lot more!

2016 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab ,G56

2. Likes walla2k5 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #12

User Info Menu

I've never ran a ceramic clutch, but from what I've read they are a lot grabbier and not all that great for towing or daily driving. I imagine they would buck a lot more too.
    The ceramic clutches are a lot more grabby, if you think the organic is bad then you'd be hating life with a ceramic. If anyone is super concerned about how grabby a clutch will be then a dual disc may not be for you.

2018 Ram 2500 4x4 G56
    Romans 10:13

See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    joe@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

4. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, walla2k5 liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #13

User Info Menu

I have only used Southbend in the past trucks but can you adjust the peddle position at all. If you can I would adjust it to you and your foot and not have it on just the top of your foot.

This will help even with the engagement. I do recommend giving it more throttle when shifting.

The shudder and bucks will smooth out, should with higher RPMS. Having a little slip with higher RPMS to smooth out the shudder is fine. Most aftermarket clutches prefer this. My last was a DD3600 plate load clutch in my NV5600 trans. The entire life of it, the clutch preferred shifts at 1500-1700 RPMS.

I know Southbend has a troubleshooting part on their website I'm sure your clutch company does to if you haven’t looked.

And yes like others have said ceramic they can be interesting and a big learning curve as a daily driver and if you haul animals, may get some broken legs and sore necks.

2017 WON TON CC LB 68AUTO
    Secret stuff that make it vroom and whistle better Thuren 2.25 w/2.0 Fox Resi

Justin
    Southern Oregon ( the Republican part)
    UNITEDSTATES MARINE CORPS 1993-2007
    No better friend, No better enemy.

6. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes walla2k5, watersupply189 liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #14

User Info Menu

I'll say on the bucking. That mine bucked for quite a good while. And never realy quit totaly unless there was a load on the truck. 40000 miles later or so. I had the tranny rebuilt. Last month it was finished. Afterwards it hasnt bucked since. I wondered if I didnt get one of the bolts on the pressure plate torqued right.

2016 ram 2500 hd slt mega-cab cummins g-56 (metallic gray pearlcoat or something of the sort) deleted and custom tuned by Ray (the king) @ doublerdiesel on mm3 platform with 5" turbo back exhaust by flo-pro & DD valair organic clutch
    looking for 30,000 gpm injectors @ a fair price btw LOL

8. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, walla2k5 liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #15

User Info Menu

Update on the organic DD clutch. I adjusted the pedal to the proper height(even with the brake pedal) after talking to Valair tech support. The shop had it adjusted much higher for some reason. I'm not sure why, but it seemed to help the bucking problem on mine. Engagement is smoother throughout the pedal throw instead of all at the top. It's not 100% gone but definitely an improvement. And now I'm not hitting my knee on the steering wheel all the time LOL.

10. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
  11. Top Of Page | #16

User Info Menu

I thought I'd give an update on my DD clutch after a few thousand miles. It still surges pretty bad when taking off in second gear. It's kind of weird how it engages, it starts to engage with the pedal about an inch off the floor but just barely(not really enough to move the truck). Then it doesn't engage any harder until close to the top where it grabs real hard. Surges real bad if I try to slip it. Upping the RPM's does smooth it out somewhat. 1st gear and reverse, however, seem to engage pretty smoothly.

I'm guessing that's just the nature of the beast, and the clutch isn't really meant for taking off in 2nd gear. Unless someone has a trick to smooth it out, I'm just going to roll with it.

12. Thanks 03 unicorn, watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes Power247, watersupply189 liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #17

User Info Menu

I thought I'd give an update on my DD clutch after a few thousand miles. It still surges pretty bad when taking off in second gear. It's kind of weird how it engages, it starts to engage with the pedal about an inch off the floor but just barely(not really enough to move the truck). Then it doesn't engage any harder until close to the top where it grabs real hard. Surges real bad if I try to slip it. Upping the RPM's does smooth it out somewhat. 1st gear and reverse, however, seem to engage pretty smoothly.

I'm guessing that's just the nature of the beast, and the clutch isn't really meant for taking off in 2nd gear. Unless someone has a trick to smooth it out, I'm just going to roll with it.
    Thanks for keeping this post updated. Because sometimes when I read some of these threads, people will have a question and then when reading through it you see its several years old and the original poster never comments back. So thanks for your input.

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

14. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #18

User Info Menu

Is it the dual disc aspect that makes the gear rollover noise even worse?

I have only driven a dual disc setup once, backing up a horse trailer was choppy as hell. Single disc for me.

Also check this stuff out, 1/3 cost of Delvac.

https://www.amazon.com/Premium-Lubri...ustomerReviews

Diesel Master Tech Certified - ICML Machinery Lube Certified

2002 QCLB 2500 5.9 HO NV5600 =
    Ranch truck with CM Flatbed, DPS Exh/Int Manifolds, Boost Elbow
    2018 CCLB 2500 ST 6.7 G56 = Glacier intake manifold & horn, Flo-pro 4" SS, MM3 with DRD 30hp tune, Valair quiet dual disc clutch, Laramie 18's powder coated black and blackout badges

16. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189 liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12