Thanks Thanks:  8
Likes Likes:  12
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 68RFE throwing a P0871 code. Should I fix or replace transmission?

1. Top Of Page | #11

User Info Menu

Re: 68RFE throwing a P0871 code. Should I fix or replace transmission?

So it looks like I will be ordering a Revmax valve body, deep pan, and the thermal bypass. Is this enough to fix my issues or do I need to buy anything else? Like a torque converter, and or the ATS transmission brace a flex plate? Not wanting to spend a bunch of money but only want to do this once.

2. Top Of Page | #12

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TH-64 View Post
    I got the dreaded P 0871 code towing my camper as well. I changed the pressure sensor also and thought I had it fixed. But when I towed the camper again this last weekend it came back. Stop and go while towing heats the oil enough to pop the code it seems. This was along with my brake issue if you saw that post... expensive trip! A RevMax valve body and filter screw came by UPS today. It's going in tomorrow night. Funny thing is, I can't clear that code with the MM3. I had to use my son's Snap On scanner.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    The MM3 is primarily engine functions. Transmission codes may appear, but the MM3 won't remove them. The code reading function is kind of limited. A while back I had a bunch of ABS codes. The MM3 didn't even see them. I had to use the autoenginuity software on my laptop to read and clear. Just as a side bar, it turns out a locking clip on the back of the fuse center broke and part of the plug slipped out. It just shows even the CanBus is not that reliable either. The older the truck, the worse it gets.

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

3. Thanks TH-64 thanked for this post
    Likes TH-64 liked this post
  4. Top Of Page | #13

User Info Menu

the dealer just warrantied my whole transmission for this code.

Happened at 75K miles. let me know if you need more info, or see my thread.

https://www.igotacummins.com/threads...throwing-p0871

Last edited by F350Cummins; 08-01-2019 at 09:15 AM. Reason: added link to other thread
    2014 Ram 2500 CCSB Ram Box Larime
    2011 Ram 5500
    2006 Diesel Jeep Liberty
    RIP. 2016 Tradesman 2500 picked up 9/28/16 MM3 DRD Tuning 107K miles wrecked by jeep wrangler.....

Other Toys: 1973 Charger Bougham edition 400 big block 42K original miles
    Unicycles (about 3 dozen)

6 in a row makes her go

5. Thanks BKinky thanked for this post
    Likes BKinky liked this post
  6. Top Of Page | #14

User Info Menu

F350cummins. I have128k on my truck. Is your deleted also? Was it part of a recall or something like that? I think I might have read your thread but don't remember all the details.

7. Top Of Page | #15

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BKinky View Post
    F350cummins. I have128k on my truck. Is your deleted also? Was it part of a recall or something like that? I think I might have read your thread but don't remember all the details.
    I am EGR-less, and I didn't even rewrite stock tune. They did the solenoid pack, tried to give it back to me. I showed up with my 2nd gen and trailer, loaded the 2nd gen on and hooked up the 4th gen. Made it 1000 ft down the road and the codes came up again. limp mode, trans temp spike and all. Turned around, walked back in, and ripped them a new one right out in front of other customers. Guy came out read the code walked in, ordered me a complete trans, took a week to get there, and it is running great now. I had 14K behind it last weekend.

The service guy that worked with me when I came back in very irate, also has one, and he said I shouldn't have issues towing anything like that. I was never questioned on tunes or deletes. EGR-less leaves everything in there. They also never even overwrote any of my tunes.

2014 Ram 2500 CCSB Ram Box Larime
    2011 Ram 5500
    2006 Diesel Jeep Liberty
    RIP. 2016 Tradesman 2500 picked up 9/28/16 MM3 DRD Tuning 107K miles wrecked by jeep wrangler.....

Other Toys: 1973 Charger Bougham edition 400 big block 42K original miles
    Unicycles (about 3 dozen)

6 in a row makes her go

8. Thanks BKinky thanked for this post
    Likes Power247, BKinky liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12