Thanks Thanks:  9
Likes Likes:  34
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What is really inside the DPF and SCR with pictures

1. Top Of Page | #11

User Info Menu

Re: What is really inside the DPF and SCR with pictures

Oh great thanks for this now this gives me anxiety makes mecringe. Sorta the same when I know myGirl is going to cook dinner for me.
    This will nudge me a little sooner to take action so I don’tdeal with this. Its amazing howrestrictive all years of the DPF.

2. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #12

User Info Menu

That media is loaded with precious metals. It's worth a lot of money.

Back in the day when these systems were first introduced, (2008) we used to gut the chambers and put them back on so the system looked like it was in tact. Some are still doing that so they don't get busted.

I remember traveling with a friend who had a Power Joke. We were towing 2 cars. He smoked something fierce and got stopped by the troopers for excessive smoke. After being drilled about the system being deleted, stupid decided he was going to punch it when leaving. The cop stopped him again, impounded his truck and wrote him up. Since I had stopped with him, the cops looked at my truck and saw everything in tact and didn't say a word. Fortunately, I had a receiver on my beaver tail so I was able to get the trailer off the turnpike. It cost him 25K to get his truck back. Word to the wise, a stealth system is a good idea.

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

4. Likes watersupply189, Power247, Ylikessu liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #13

User Info Menu

The plugging is every other to make the gases pass through from one chanel to the other through the media. It makes the media turn into a filter. But, the size of those holes makes me feel real sick about how badly it stops my truck from breathing.

Sent from my Nokia 7.1 using Tapatalk

6. Likes Power247, watersupply189 liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #14

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Polaraco View Post
    That media is loaded with precious metals. It's worth a lot of money.

Back in the day when these systems were first introduced, (2008) we used to gut the chambers and put them back on so the system looked like it was in tact. Some are still doing that so they don't get busted.

I remember traveling with a friend who had a Power Joke. We were towing 2 cars. He smoked something fierce and got stopped by the troopers for excessive smoke. After being drilled about the system being deleted, stupid decided he was going to punch it when leaving. The cop stopped him again, impounded his truck and wrote him up. Since I had stopped with him, the cops looked at my truck and saw everything in tact and didn't say a word. Fortunately, I had a receiver on my beaver tail so I was able to get the trailer off the turnpike. It cost him 25K to get his truck back. Word to the wise, a stealth system is a good idea.
    How did it run with the "Stealth Delete"? Was the sound much different than stock after gutting it. They don't put mufflers on them anymore because they have so many filters in the system I guess they don't need it so the 14 may sound different than the 08 did, just curious.

I agree "rollin coal" is the reason they are so strict on these things now and it is a huge waste of money, fuel going out the tailpipe and high temperatures. Most of these jacked up trucks smoking like that would not last a day towing a load in the mountains without a meltdown.

Thanks for the feedback

8. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #15

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DIESELWRKS View Post
    Oh great thanks for this now this gives me anxiety makes mecringe. Sorta the same when I know myGirl is going to cook dinner for me.
    This will nudge me a little sooner to take action so I don’tdeal with this. Its amazing howrestrictive all years of the DPF.
    It is frustrating that they have to put this junk on a perfectly good engine design and for most people cut the life of the engine in half because of emissions. I am now running some additives in the fuel that are supposed to extend the DPF life - will see how long my personal 2018 goes, but the 2014s are similar - around 170k they are starting with the Regen problems so at that point the filter is done. Trying to get Dodge dealer to tell us if we can service the DEF injector without voiding the warranty - thinking that would be good to do every time you clean the EGR cooler/system. It was obviously not "spraying" DEF more like squirting it in a steam - think that is why the SCR plugged 35-40% on this 2014.

Our outside mechanic has another 6.7 in his shop right now and said it only had 110k on it. They guy didn't know to clean the EGR system (we clean every 60k) or CCV (we change every 30k now) and the turbo actuator is throwing a code along with frequent Regens like we were seeing. He thinks becasue we are loaded highway miles the turbo didnt crap up and the DPF and SCR stayed hot enough to last longer. Will be a distant memory by tommorow thank god, MM3 tuner should show up today.

10. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, Power247 liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #16

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JCIHotshot View Post
    How did it run with the "Stealth Delete"? Was the sound much different than stock after gutting it. They don't put mufflers on them anymore because they have so many filters in the system I guess they don't need it so the 14 may sound different than the 08 did, just curious.

I agree "rollin coal" is the reason they are so strict on these things now and it is a huge waste of money, fuel going out the tailpipe and high temperatures. Most of these jacked up trucks smoking like that would not last a day towing a load in the mountains without a meltdown.

Thanks for the feedback
    Back in 08 or 09, H&S did a flow test and discovered the flow was very good. All it is is some open chambers. The sound was just a bit more throaty.

Quote Originally Posted by JCIHotshot View Post
    It is frustrating that they have to put this junk on a perfectly good engine design and for most people cut the life of the engine in half because of emissions. I am now running some additives in the fuel that are supposed to extend the DPF life - will see how long my personal 2018 goes, but the 2014s are similar - around 170k they are starting with the Regen problems so at that point the filter is done. Trying to get Dodge dealer to tell us if we can service the DEF injector without voiding the warranty - thinking that would be good to do every time you clean the EGR cooler/system. It was obviously not "spraying" DEF more like squirting it in a steam - think that is why the SCR plugged 35-40% on this 2014.

Our outside mechanic has another 6.7 in his shop right now and said it only had 110k on it. They guy didn't know to clean the EGR system (we clean every 60k) or CCV (we change every 30k now) and the turbo actuator is throwing a code along with frequent Regens like we were seeing. He thinks becasue we are loaded highway miles the turbo didnt crap up and the DPF and SCR stayed hot enough to last longer. Will be a distant memory by tommorow thank god, MM3 tuner should show up today.
    When the 6.7 was introduced, Cummins rated the engine at 170K average life. Removing the emissions put it up into the 5.9 class, 550K. I'm sure there are more out there with more. The new Urea systems are up in mileage now.

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

12. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #17

User Info Menu

Wow, I had no idea that Cummins thought the engine would only be good for 170k with the emissions - they are sure tight lipped about that.

Doubt anyone would drop $70-80k on a new Ram if they knew that.

14. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12