Thanks Thanks:  9
Likes Likes:  34
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is really inside the DPF and SCR with pictures

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

What is really inside the DPF and SCR with pictures

Well we are seeing issues with our 2014 3500 at 170k , miles. Fully intact emissions system. Truck was going into Regen more often than usual and using a lot of DEF. Exhaust brake performance was about 50% of out 2018s. Turbo boost was topping out at 26psi, mileage towing heavy loads was down to 7.5 avg MPG. Would throw emissions codes so we cleaned the EGR system again but didn't help at all. Truck is setting the CO monitor off in the cab and fumes were terrible above 1500rpm driving or at idle.

Dodge said the turbo was probably going out and to clean or replace the DPF. Estimate from dodge dealer was $10-12k for new turbo, new DPF and probably a new SCR. Not a very good day for a truck that only has 170k on it.

Removed the whole exhaust and checked pressure drop across the filter. Couldn't measure actual delta but it was obvious the DPF was at least partially plugged. cut the end off of the filter to check the media and it looked fine on the surfaces. Like any self respecting redneck, I decided to get some of the media out and sure enough it was 50-60% plugged off. That explains the frequent Regen cycles.

Next the SCR. Well the injector port was almost plugged off from DEF deposits and it was obvious the "spray" was more like a stream. You can see where it ran down the pipe and was crystalizing in the one picture. Could get decent airflow through the catalyst on the upper 60% but the lower half was plugged tight - probably from saturation of the DEF. So catalyst is ruined. Explains the high DEF consumption.

Noticed a slight leak developing on the exhaust manifold at the front of the engine so removed the turbo and manifold. Turbo looks good, no end play but shipping it to Diamond Diesel in Oakland CA anyway for a full inspection and testing. These are not fun trucks to remove all this stuff and I don't want to put a marginal component back in.

So gutted the DPF media. and welded the end back on. Gutting the SCR next and welding the end back on it. It would be so easy to make these filters modular so they could have the media replaced instead of the entire filter but I wont get on that rant right now. This rig is just going to get a DEF delete, cannot justify $4-6k in filters just to be back here in 100k miles. Going to use the gutted components for exhaust system - don't see any value in buying a $500 exhaust - it really only took a couple hours to cut apart remove the media and weld back up.

Thought it was interesting how these things were constructed so sharing some pictures of the media and the plugging. Sorry started gutting the SCR before getting a picture of as found condition. Will update on turbo findings after the shop reports back. The top two pics are the DEF nozzle into the SCR and deposits. The next one is the DPF inlet and then the DPF outlet. Last one is the OEM delete exhaust DPF housing. The red material in the DPF media is hard plugging of the media.

If anyone else has done this and used the stock shells as the exhaust I would like to hear how it worked out, noise ect. Not looking to draw attention to the rig just get reliable mileage out of it.

Attached Images Attached Images

2. Thanks 4kids2dogs&RV, watersupply189, AK Bob thanked for this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: What is really inside the DPF and SCR with pictures

This is pretty interesting.

I think you're going to have issues with codes and driveability doing this. The truck measures the pressure differential before and after the DPF, and it's calibrated for a very specific range.

4. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RamIt View Post
    This is pretty interesting.

I think you're going to have issues with codes and driveability doing this. The truck measures the pressure differential before and after the DPF, and it's calibrated for a very specific range.
    Ramit,
    We will have to get a tuner and program that would take those out of the equation. Certainly would mess with the stock OEM tuning as they would not see any pressure differential. Also on Regen it would smoke a lot I'm guessing.

I keep looking at the filter media and the one cube we have with every other hole plugged with the red media seems to uniform to be random plugging. We were told the red was fouling but I have received so much information that contradicts it is hard to determine what is true and what is someone that doesn't know what they don't know.

Good news is the turbo tested fine so it is going back in the hole. Big relief there. I guess because we are towing heavy and such it just has not gotten sticky. A little carbon soot in there but no hard deposits forming on the vanes or plates.

The filter was toast so no harm in gutting it plus I really just wanted to see what is in there so I can understand some of these issues better. Dodge dealer has not been a great resource - just recommending replacing expensive parts.

Last edited by JCIHotshot; 07-24-2019 at 07:26 PM. Reason: mentioned companies - told that is not allowed

5. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
  6. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Here are some more pictures of the media. DPF has one large diameter section where the Regen magic must occur and after the last pressure sensor is a smaller dia media that appears to trap the ash particulate. The SCR has two one about 10" and a shorter one about 4-5" long after the last NOx sensor.

It would be interesting to weigh a new DPF and compare it to one that is presumed to be plugged. We weigh our crankcase filters when changed out just to let us know if we are getting increased blow by which would land in the CCV. Before we knew to change them every 30k miles we went 100k on one truck and the weight difference was almost 10 lbs compared to a new one!

Just thought everyone might like to satisfy that curiosity of what is in these things. Last pic is SCR on left and DPF on right as they are located under the truck the SCR is last before the tailpipe.

No muffler - guess all this junk muffles it enough

Attached Images Attached Images

7. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, AK Bob liked this post
  8. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Very interesting pictures all things considered.

I would suggest removing the text in your previous post about certain things with certain companies as we are not in the the Platinum forum.

9. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, AK Bob liked this post
  10. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Thank you for the awesome write up and pictures. I can tell you spent a lot of time on this friend.

2016 Ram Laramie 3500, G56, 6.7, MM3 by Double R Diesel, Rough Country Leveling, 35x12.50 Nitto G2, HID headlights, LED fogs plus many many other add ons.....

2016 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab ,G56

11. Likes AK Bob liked this post
  12. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

copy - sorry

13. Likes AK Bob, RamIt, watersupply189 liked this post
  14. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Thanks, great information!

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. MM3 tuned by Double R Diesel. Oil Bypass Filter, 50 Gallon auxiliary fuel tank.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

15. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  16. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Very interesting! Thanks for taking the time to post. I agree that the red areas in the DPF media seem too uniform to be plugged from running the truck. It looks like they were manufactured that way, but I have no idea why...

Greg
    2012 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | MM3 tuned by Double R Diesel
    2016 | Heartland Pioneer | DS310

Greg
    2019 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | 6.4 HEMI

17. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  18. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JCIHotshot View Post
    copy - sorry
    No worries man! It's just a matter of keeping private things private with all of the eyeballs on the industry right now.

19. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, Rapidfire_70 liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast