Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  5

Thread: 2000 dodge Cummins 5.9 bent pushrods

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

2000 dodge Cummins 5.9 bent pushrods

Hello everyone, new to this forum but trying to get some suggestions/help. I've got a 2000 dodge Cummins 5.9L, about 300,000 miles. The truck had been at my buddy's shop getting a new transmission put in. We had some issues with getting it started due to low fuel pressure but got that sorted and got it started. The truck had been sitting up for about 5months up to this point but before that is was my daily and other then normal bs it ran like a dream. After getting the new tranny in and getting it fired up it ran for about 5 mins before cutting out. Couldn't get it started again so starting running the gauntlet to see what went wrong. Ended up pulling the valve cover and found all the pushrods, both intake and exhaust bent ( most into a nice S shape). The mechanic working on it swears up and down that he didn't use starting fluid on it but everything I know and have read points to that or a broken timing gear. In any case just figured I would toss this out there and see if anyone might have any thoughts on the matter.
    Thanks

2. Likes david3gen, AnOldBiker liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: 2000 dodge Cummins 5.9 bent pushrods

Welcome @Gottmilk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2006 dodge ram 2500 laramie crew cab 5.9 cummins. 10x20 et-24 fuel offroad with 275.60r20 tires. bully dog gt tuner. 48re ATS built tranny triple disc converter ATS oilpan and transgo quick shifter. 4" turbo back exhaust. brembo discs and pads

4. Likes AnOldBiker liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

So what happened??

6. Likes AnOldBiker liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

@Gottmilk?

What does the gear look like ?

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

8. Likes david3gen liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Gears look great and the timing is still spot on. Took the oil pan off aswell and got at least 3 cracked pistons. # 3 rocker was completely pushed off the head. I haven't taken the head off yet but I'm fairly positive I'll find that at least 3 of the pistons hit the valves. The block is super clean otherwise and no visible damage to the cam or crank but won't really know until they get checked out. Talked to another old timer machanic I know and the first thing he asked was if they sprayed a **** ton of ether down the intake. All in all gonna be looking at a full rebuild but would really like to know what happened in the first place.