Thanks Thanks:  9
Likes Likes:  23

Thread: GREAT Trip! GREAT TOW VEHICLE!!!

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

GREAT Trip! GREAT TOW VEHICLE!!!

Just pulled back into home after 52 days on the road covering 7838 miles through 18 states pulling a 40 foot fifth wheel coach with a 15500 lb GVWR. My tow vehicle is a 2018 RAM 3500 Dually 4 wheel drive 6.7 Cummins mated with a 68RFE transmission and 3.73 rear end.

Oh, I have a DRD EGR compliant tune with plus 30/60/90/120 hp on the fly capability.

Overall fuel mileage to include towing and in-and-around driving for sight seeing etc. was 12.2 mpg. All towing was done on the plus 30HP setting and using OD (6th gear) locked out most of the time unless pulling really long 6 percent plus grades.

Had the MM3 monitor set to monitor RPM, Boost, Transmission Fluid Temp, Engine Coolant Temp, and Torque Converter Slippage. I could not be happier with how the RAM performed! Even on 95 degree days pulling long grades at 7000 ft above sea level in the Rockies, the engine coolant temps never exceeded 215 degrees which was for very short periods of time and the transmission fluid temps never exceeded 176 degrees even in 3rd, 4th, or 5th locked out on the long 6%+ grades.

Very rarely did I have to drop out of OD (6th gear) except as mentioned on some very long steep grades in the mountains. The engine brake worked like a charm, saved the brakes a bunch on down grades. Even worked great on Pikes Peak (wasn’t pulling the coach for sure) but it did climb Pikes Peak two days before the Hill Climb Rally this year so I guess we beat those guys to the top.

I would highly recommend anyone thinking about getting a tune but not wanting to delete just yet get the DRD EGR Compliant tune. It worked GREAT!

Thanks for letting me use this forum to comment/brag about the RAM with its 6.7L Cummins!

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: GREAT Trip! GREAT TOW VEHICLE!!!

Glad to hear you had a great and safe trip!

Also reviews like this are always helpful for folks that are on the fence about tuning and utilizing DRD as their tuner.

DRD is our number one seller and is highly recommended from us!

Matthew 6:9-13, 2 Corinthians 5:20
    See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email us at:
    sales@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

3. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  4. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Awesome news! Congrats! &

Can't wait for the day to get here when we go shopping for our new 5th wheel!

2017 Bighorn (Delmonico Red & Chrome) CC-HD2500-4WD-6.7L-3:42w/Anti-Spin
    Oil: -SHELL- Rotella T6 5W-40 & T5 15W-40 combo w/LF16035
    68RFE/BW44-46/Power Steering: -Red Line- C+ ATF
    Frontend & Rearend: -Red Line- SAE GL-5 75W-90NS
    Many Small Mods: Interior & Exterior
    Mileage: 28,541

5. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  6. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Awesome man! Glad you had a safe trip!

How much DEF did you go thru on the trip?

2016 Ram Laramie 3500, G56, 6.7, MM3 by Double R Diesel, Rough Country Leveling, 35x12.50 Nitto G2, HID headlights, LED fogs plus many many other add ons.....

2016 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab
    Cummins,G56, Rough Country level, Morimoto LED fog lights, LED headlights, Lund Attitude Steps sprayed with Line-X, DRL's Activated, 35x12.50R18 Falken Wildpeak ATW3, Fuel Vapor Wheels Matte Black w/Dark Tint, A.R.E. Truck cap and swing boxes

7. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS, Thomas1960 liked this post
  8. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

@sowega thanks for the great review!

Great job @Double R Diesel!!

"The grass is greener where you water it"

9. Likes watersupply189, Thomas1960 liked this post
  10. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

DEF usage was higher than usual especially when deep into the boost in the mountains or fighting high winds...I probably used 2-2.5 gal per 1K miles...But I'd rather that than deal with the bad stuff being poured back into the engine via the EGR.

Just have to ask yourself does the increased DEF use off-set the longevity of the engine because you're not pumping crud back into the it via the EGR.

I spent a lot of time looking into the issue and decided to pull the trigger on the DRD EGR Compliant tune and I'm glad I did.

Truck is running great!

11. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS, watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS, watersupply189 liked this post
  12. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Perfect post.

Answered my question without asking.

We have the same truck except for ours being a Megacab DRW.

Our trailer is an older Teton triple axle with a gvw of 20k.

I love our truck but the tuner could be the first step.

Thanks and God bless

13. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS, watersupply189 liked this post
  14. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by watersupply189 View Post
    Awesome man! Glad you had a safe trip!

How much DEF did you go thru on the trip?

2016 Ram Laramie 3500, G56, 6.7, MM3 by Double R Diesel, Rough Country Leveling, 35x12.50 Nitto G2, HID headlights, LED fogs plus many many other add ons.....
    DEF usage was higher than usual especially when deep into the boost in the mountains or fighting high winds...I probably used 2-2.5 gal per 1K miles...But I'd rather that than deal with the bad stuff being poured back into the engine via the EGR.

Just have to ask yourself does the increased DEF use off-set the longevity of the engine because you're not pumping crud back into the it via the EGR.

I spent a lot of time looking into the issue and decided to pull the trigger on the DRD EGR Compliant tune and I'm glad I did.

Truck is running great!

15. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes Booch035, watersupply189 liked this post