Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  7

Thread: Stock Turbo Swap w/ another Truck's Stock Turbo

1. Top Of Page | #1

Stock Turbo Swap w/ another Truck's Stock Turbo

Hi All-
    Some on here already know I've been looking to replace my Turbo due to a bad Actuator, but I'm selling or trading this truck within a month or so to buy a DRW Cummins and not looking to break the bank.
    Now, I've got the opportunity to purchase a used stock 2014 Turbo & Actuator w/ 27K miles on it from a guy that removed it from his truck for a 2nd Gen Swap awhile back. My question is; would I simply be able to remove my old turbo unit and replace it with this one and not have to re-calibrate anything being I'm replacing it with a complete unit??
    This wasn't even an option that I thought about until the guy mentioned he'd sell me his..I feel like I'm overthinking the whole application, but thought I'd see if any of you had some knowledge to share...Thanks

2014 RAM 2500 Laramie Longhorn Edition, 5" afe TBE Exhaust, S&B Cold Air Intake, GDP EGR Delete, GDP Throttle Valve Delete, RaceMe Ultra Tuner w/ DRD Custom Tunes, Rough Country 2.5" Leveling Kit, Rough Country 3.0 Shocks, Gladiator QR900-MT 35x12.50x18

2. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Stock Turbo Swap w/ another Truck's Stock Turbo

Quote Originally Posted by Pmoney31535 View Post
    Hi All-
    Some on here already know I've been looking to replace my Turbo due to a bad Actuator, but I'm selling or trading this truck within a month or so to buy a DRW Cummins and not looking to break the bank.
    Now, I've got the opportunity to purchase a used stock 2014 Turbo & Actuator w/ 27K miles on it from a guy that removed it from his truck for a 2nd Gen Swap awhile back. My question is; would I simply be able to remove my old turbo unit and replace it with this one and not have to re-calibrate anything being I'm replacing it with a complete unit??
    This wasn't even an option that I thought about until the guy mentioned he'd sell me his..I feel like I'm overthinking the whole application, but thought I'd see if any of you had some knowledge to share...Thanks

I am not 100% sure on this but i know i have seen some folks do a swap with no re-cal needed and others after a few miles of driving it needs to be re-calibrated. If im not mistaken a re-cal from the dealer is a little over 100 bucks and there is some info somewhere where someone made their own re-cal tool.

Matthew 6:9-13, 2 Corinthians 5:20
    See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email us at:
    sales@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

4. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dude's Diesel Performance View Post
    I am not 100% sure on this but i know i have seen some folks do a swap with no re-cal needed and others after a few miles of driving it needs to be re-calibrated. If im not mistaken a re-cal from the dealer is a little over 100 bucks and there is some info somewhere where someone made their own re-cal tool.
    Is this the same as if a dude bought a new “stock” turbo to replace his stock turbo? Or would it need calibrated since it’s never been installed?

16’ 2500
    Medicated by DRD

2016 2500 6.7
    2" Level Kit
    Medicated by DRD

6. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Sorry for the delay, ok so i did some digging and to my knowledge if the actuator was not messed with then it should be able to drop right in without a re-cal. Every so often there may be a chance you will need to but it would let you know pretty quickly.

If you were to get a new unit it is a drop in with no re-cal needed.

Matthew 6:9-13, 2 Corinthians 5:20
    See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email us at:
    sales@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com