Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  7

Thread: Which shock with tower delete

1. Top Of Page | #1
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Which shock with tower delete

I’m deleting my towers and have a 2” level on my 05 2500 4x4 which bilstein shock will I need for the front? I’m sure this has been discussed 100 times sorry for the repeat if so. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Which shock with tower delete

Are you replacing stock tower with a plate instead that still allows a pin top shock?

2017 WON TON CC LB 68AUTO
    Secret stuff that make it vroom and whistle better Thuren 2.25 w/2.0 Fox Resi

Justin
    Southern Oregon ( the Republican part)
    UNITEDSTATES MARINE CORPS 1993-2007
    No better friend, No better enemy.

4. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Yes

6. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Okay so a little more information would be helpful. Are you doing this because you are making more room for twin turbo’s , are you doing this due to the look of it or areyou doing this because you compete with sled pulling?

So right now your truck has a 2 inch leveling puck and factory shocks correct? With a 2 inch leveling spacer you can use the oem size shock.
    With this leveling spacer your current shock has been living life extended more than a stock shock.
    when you go from a tower to a flat plate you are moving,reducing the shock mounted length by about 1 inch. Now thatmay be slightly different comparing a 2wd and a 4wd.

When you put the leveling spacer on. That extended the normal shock range by 2inches.

So you can run a stock shock with what you are doing. If you are keeping the 2 inch spacer. Now if you are looking for a bilstein shock for replacement. Which Bilstein shock. you did not specify. The 4600 (yellow/blue) the 5100 series ( Shiny/zinc plated shocks)
    5160 series ( remote reservoir shock)

Now there are going to be a few part #’s out on the internet but for a stock up to 2” lift.
    4600 # BIL-24-186063
    5100 # BIL-24-185776
    5160 # BIL-25-187595

Justin

8. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DIESELWRKS View Post
    Okay so a little more information would be helpful. Are you doing this because you are making more room for twin turbo’s , are you doing this due to the look of it or areyou doing this because you compete with sled pulling?

So right now your truck has a 2 inch leveling puck and factory shocks correct? With a 2 inch leveling spacer you can use the oem size shock.
    With this leveling spacer your current shock has been living life extended more than a stock shock.
    when you go from a tower to a flat plate you are moving,reducing the shock mounted length by about 1 inch. Now thatmay be slightly different comparing a 2wd and a 4wd.

When you put the leveling spacer on. That extended the normal shock range by 2inches.

So you can run a stock shock with what you are doing. If you are keeping the 2 inch spacer. Now if you are looking for a bilstein shock for replacement. Which Bilstein shock. you did not specify. The 4600 (yellow/blue) the 5100 series ( Shiny/zinc plated shocks)
    5160 series ( remote reservoir shock)

Now there are going to be a few part #’s out on the internet but for a stock up to 2” lift.
    4600 # BIL-24-186063
    5100 # BIL-24-185776
    5160 # BIL-25-187595
    It’s a for the looks and a little more room to get my hands in when things need work. No competition here just a daily driver and a the occasional trailer pulling.
    The 5100 bilsteins is what I want. I’m sure the remote reservoir would be a better ride but not into spending a ton of money for them. Also yes I’m keeping the level kit. You sir are a wealth of knowledge and I thank you.

10. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Talk to the vendors on here for these. They will get you a good price and if I remember the remote resi ones are not to bad of price. The other option I think you will still be able to do if you fee lyou want more for the front end. There are a few companies thatsell a bracket that mounts off the top coil bucket seat and allow you to run another shock that is just outside of the coil. But I think you will befine with the 5100’s. I ran them in the past on older cummins. The only thing is , if you want to keep them shiny looking. I had always tapped off the shock rod and spray a exterior clear coat on them when they were new. Those shocks look like crap after a year. Somethingwith the zinc coating. They don’t rust but just are not shiny. That is also helpful if you live in a area with salt during winter.

Justin

12. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #7
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Lots and lots of salt here already did a fluid film spray and will touch up this fall

14. Likes watersupply189 liked this post