Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  9

Thread: 2012 3500 GCWR

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

2012 3500 GCWR

I finally stopped and weighed my truck with the fifth wheel attached yesterday.

The wife and kids were eating lunch when we stopped and I didn't have time to unhook and weigh just the truck too so I'll do that another time.

My weights were Steer - 5000, Drive - 6440, and Trailer - 12180, Gross - 23620. When I looked up the following information, there are 2 different GCWR for the 3.73 axle ratio with 68RFE transmission.

Why 2 different GCWR?

How can I tell which one I have?

2. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS, watersupply189 thanked for this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: 2012 3500 GCWR

Quote Originally Posted by rconkin View Post
    I finally stopped and weighed my truck with the fifth wheel attached yesterday.

The wife and kids were eating lunch when we stopped and I didn't have time to unhook and weigh just the truck too so I'll do that another time.

My weights were Steer - 5000, Drive - 6440, and Trailer - 12180, Gross - 23620. When I looked up the following information, there are 2 different GCWR for the 3.73 axle ratio with 68RFE transmission.

Why 2 different GCWR?

How can I tell which one I have?

In 2012 did they make a high output and a standard output engine?

Have you tried looking up your vin on dodge web site maybe?

Just some thoughts.

Hope you figure it out.

4. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

I believe on the 2011’s they had a mid year revision and upped output from 650 ft. # to 800 ft. # by way of a software update and (IIRC) some corresponding transmission/converter upgrades. This model year will be either or. Should be the high output badge on the tailgate if so equipped. By 2012 all trucks were considered “high output” and should be at the 800 ft. # rating. I know this because when I was shopping for a used truck a few years ago I specifically was looking for the HO model years only.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2012 Ram 2500 Laramie 4x4 Crew Cab 6.7 Cummins. RevMax built 68RFE "550" transmission w/ billet flexplate/low stall triple disc TC/direct oiling billet input shaft. 35"x12.50" Toyo Open Country AT2 tires on OEM 20" wheels, Thuren soft ride front springs, Thuren track bar, Thuren upper and lower control arms, Hellbent steering box brace, King 2.0 steering damper, Redhead steering box, Fox 2.0 shocks, Carli ball joints, Caterpillar fuel filter/Donaldson water separator, ARP 425 head studs, Viair onboard air compressor, airlift 5k# rear airbags, V4 LED headlights, Kenwood head unit

6. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

If im not mistaken as well if you had a manual it was not considered HO That may have been a reason if i understand the question clearly.

Matthew 6:9-13, 2 Corinthians 5:20
    See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email us at:
    sales@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

8. Likes InlineSix.7, watersupply189 liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Thanks for the replies. My understanding is that the 12 manual did still get the 650 ft. lb. torque version and the autos got the 800 ft. lb. version. Maybe there were some carryover autos with the 650 one and that is the reason for the 21,000 GCWR in the chart as they both show the 68RFE transmission. My build date is 11-16-12 so I'm guessing it was near the end of the 12 model year run. Anyway, I'm at 23,620, it does have the HO badge and Max Tow package and can comfortably run down the interstate at 70 so I guess I really shouldn't worry about it. Was just curious. After posting this, I looked up the 11 specs and it only shows a 21,000 GCWR for the same model so I guess that is it.

10. Likes watersupply189, 03 unicorn liked this post