Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Smarty tuner with stock injection pump.

1. Top Of Page | #1
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Smarty tuner with stock injection pump.

I want to get a smarty tuner for my 02 Cummins. It has the stock injection pump still, would it kill it any?

2. Top Of Page | #2
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Codyb028 View Post
    I want to get a smarty tuner for my 02 Cummins. It has the stock injection pump still, would it kill it any?
    The injection pump is not the problem, the lift pump is what will cause issues. You NEED a fuel pressure gauge to make sure your lift pump is keeping up with fuel demand. You do not want to see less than 10psi, and I personally don't want anything under 14psi(yes there is a reason why).

I highly recommend an aftermarket liftpump, such as a FASS, airdog, or raptor, rated to at least 95gph. A lift pump is much cheaper than a $1000 liftpump

Once you have fuel pressure sorted out, I smarty won't hurt your injection pump, unless it has already been damaged by low fuel pressure and the smarty exacerbates this.

Smarty only adds about 65hp, the same thing can be achieved with an edge EZ, diablo power puck, van aaken smartbox, etc. These boxes can usually be had for ~$150 used

3. Likes K-Sons liked this post
  4. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

have to agree
    the smarty works better on the VP trucks when stacked with the edge comp

5. Top Of Page | #4
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by K-Sons View Post
    have to agree
    the smarty works better on the VP trucks when stacked with the edge comp
    IMO injectors are a much better investment than a smarty if you already have a fueling box

6. Top Of Page | #5
    Permanent Vacation Diesel Dawgs Performance's Avatar

User Info Menu

Injectors will make a bigger difference