Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  8

Thread: Two codes and a stuck exhaust brake!

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Two codes and a stuck exhaust brake!

I was towing my (16K fifth wheel) here in ND and went to stop for fuel and the exhaust brake stuck on. I limped it to a parking lot and it cleared up until I had to slow down again. After the second time I got to error codes. P1507 crank case filter restriction (filter deleted), and P2281 (air leak between the MAF and throttle body (throttle body deleted). What are my options here. Really looking for a cost effective option.

2019 Ram Laramie 3500 Black Forest Green, Harmon Kardon sound, rear air susp., fifth wheel prep, 6.7 Cummins HO, AirRaid filter, WeatherTech mats, HAVOC HS3 nerfsteps, B&W Tow and Stow, B&W 25k Companion, RockTamers, spray in liner, Access roll-up, Mopar bugshield and Gatorback splash guards.

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Two codes and a stuck exhaust brake!

Wish I had the answer.

I'm assuming you checked all the obvious clamps and sensors connections.

Keep us posted.

2012 Ram 3500 Laramie, 3" BDS Coil over, DuraFlap, 68RFE, 4.10, 35s, Front receiver, Krown protected

3. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

P1507 is an Idle Air Control code. I found this online:

"15 months ago, the valve in the crankcase breather cover (CBC) was discovered not to be working correctly. Because of that, oil mist slowly leaked, over time, into the turbo and it had to be replaced. They did not have a new CBC assembly at the time and it was going to be 3 weeks to get. I couldn't wait because I was on a schedule. At the next stop I was able to get the CBC replacement.Between the time the turbo was replaced, and getting the new CBC, the P1507 code came back worse than before. After the CBC was replaced, I haven't seen that code since.One thing you can check: There is short tube running from the CBC to the turbo. Remove it and check for the appearance of oil. It should be dry and oil free. If not, there may be your problem."

As for P2281, you're going to want to evaluate your entire intake/vacuum system. I recommend a smoke machine to save time and effort.

4. Likes AK Bob liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

So the dealership says it's the turbo actuator. They want $3881 to "hopefully" fix it. If not, a completely new turbo. Carbon buildup is what they say killed it, and because I'm deleted, I'm screwed. I originally deleted because of the carbon issue and the number of short trips across town that I have to make. No warranty, need a new turbo, so any other suggestions on what to do? Gen 2 swap? I have an MM3 with DRD tuning. Otherwise, I'm trading it and refusing to use it for work.

2019 Ram Laramie 3500 Black Forest Green, Harmon Kardon sound, rear air susp., fifth wheel prep, 6.7 Cummins HO, AirRaid filter, WeatherTech mats, HAVOC HS3 nerfsteps, B&W Tow and Stow, B&W 25k Companion, RockTamers, spray in liner, Access roll-up, Mopar bugshield and Gatorback splash guards.

6. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

That really stinks. I noticed this the other day in the most recent Genos catalog and thought of your situation. Not sure if they make this for your year model, but if so this would be a lot cheaper than the dealership cost.

https://www.genosgarage.com/product/...1/new-products

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2012 Ram 2500 Laramie 4x4 Crew Cab 6.7 Cummins. RevMax built 68RFE "550" transmission w/ billet flexplate/low stall triple disc TC/direct oiling billet input shaft. 35"x12.50" Toyo Open Country AT2 tires on OEM 20" wheels, Thuren soft ride front springs, Thuren track bar, Thuren upper and lower control arms, Hellbent steering box brace, King 2.0 steering damper, Redhead steering box, Fox 2.0 shocks, Carli ball joints, Caterpillar fuel filter/Donaldson water separator, ARP 425 head studs, Viair onboard air compressor, airlift 5k# rear airbags, V4 LED headlights, Kenwood head unit

7. Likes walla2k5 liked this post
  8. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chief247 View Post
    So the dealership says it's the turbo actuator. They want $3881 to "hopefully" fix it. If not, a completely new turbo. Carbon buildup is what they say killed it, and because I'm deleted, I'm screwed. I originally deleted because of the carbon issue and the number of short trips across town that I have to make. No warranty, need a new turbo, so any other suggestions on what to do? Gen 2 swap? I have an MM3 with DRD tuning. Otherwise, I'm trading it and refusing to use it for work.
    How many total miles and how many miles on delete? That is crazy money for the actuator - you can get a Holset Reman quoted from Cummins or dodge dealer for $4k. If the guide van and plate that moves is truly "carbon buildup" the new actuator probably won't work and if it does not for long. Check for a local shop that does just diesels and they may be able to test it, maybe be able to take the turbine side off (one clamp) and inspect the inside. We just did one at 170k and it is working fine but our actuator tested good from the start.

I found the dealers just want to change parts until you are broke - find a reputable shop there should be one in Bismarck I bet. Where are you broke down?

9. Likes walla2k5 liked this post
  10. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

The truck has 63000 and the deletes have about 43000. There's a couple decent shops around. Just tough to get into with all the people deleting their trucks around here. Not broke down yet. Brake stuck while on vacation in WY. Stuck even without the exhaust brake actual turned on, if I was in tow/haul. I had to drive back with tow/haul mode off.

11. Likes walla2k5 liked this post
  12. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chief247 View Post
    The truck has 63000 and the deletes have about 43000. There's a couple decent shops around. Just tough to get into with all the people deleting their trucks around here.
    Hmm sounds like you have an option I would definitely explore (non-oem shops) or you will bleed out at the dodge dealer service counter. Running a cal test on the actuator is no biggie - they can do that by just plugging into the actuator umbilical cord. Look on line I've seen actuators for $800-1500. Like I said I wouldn't consider the actuator a long term fix if the Turbo is really crapped up. Like an earlier post said if there is oil in the compressor side of the turbo there is more likely to be an issue with the moving parts inside. With the charge tube off you can check the inlet side and endplay. If you can feel endplay you need a new turbo most likely, some radial play is normal if it isn't rubbing the casing.

We travel a lot also and when I tell a shop i'm on the road and in a bind they are usually pretty good at getting us in - hope that works. If you don't have any luck getting a shop to look at it PM me - I have friends/family in the Bismarck area that might be able to pull a favor in for ya if that is where you are.

13. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Thanks!

I'll take a look this weekend and see if I there's any play.

I know there isn't any oil in the intake. I run my breather hose to a catch can.

Tech thought I got the light from fighting the brake to get it off the road, but even with the brake off, the light won't clear using my tuner now.

I'm not exactly clear on how that whole system works, but that part doesn't seem right to me.

14. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

So I gave up on the old 2500 with all the issues piling up, and went bigger. I love vehicle payments apparently.

The '19s are soooo much more refined. Quiet (good and bad, liked my deleted sound) better on fuel (until Regen of course), and this new Cummins doesn't break a sweat with over 17k behind it. Only 874 miles so far, mostly towing. Another 400 miles this coming weekend and a few bigger hills than I've been in to date. Not that we have anything challenging in ND.