Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  11

Thread: Valve Cover Leak?

1. Top Of Page | #1

Valve Cover Leak?

Hey All,

Took my 2018 3500 6.7 Dually to my brother shop for its first oil change, 13k miles and when we got under it, there's all kinds of oil on the rear of the motor.

For a second we though rear main but as we looked closer the top of the trans is black with oil, it's running down the sides as well.

Followed it up and looks like the back passenger side of the rocker cover is leaking.

Will that leak enough to make it look worse at the bottom? Of course about to pull the 5th wheel on a 1600 mile round trip in 2 days.

Thoughts?

There's never been a drop in the driveway and I've got a brand new concrete driveway so its pure white so I'd see it.

Attached Images Attached Images
    2020 Ram 3500 Laramie 6.7 Cummins, DRW

2. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Valve Cover Leak?

Just a small oil leak can look like a massive oil spill.

"The grass is greener where you water it"

4. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by CraigH78 View Post
    Hey All,

Took my 2018 3500 6.7 Dually to my brother shop for its first oil change, 13k miles and when we got under it, there's all kinds of oil on the rear of the motor.

For a second we though rear main but as we looked closer the top of the trans is black with oil, it's running down the sides as well.

Followed it up and looks like the back passenger side of the rocker cover is leaking.

Will that leak enough to make it look worse at the bottom? Of course about to pull the 5th wheel on a 1600 mile round trip in 2 days.

Thoughts?

There's never been a drop in the driveway and I've got a brand new concrete driveway so its pure white so I'd see it.
    Take it back to the dealership.

Let them fix that under warranty.

2016 Ram Laramie 3500, G56, 6.7, MM3 by Double R Diesel, Rough Country Leveling, 35x12.50 Nitto G2, HID headlights and fogs plus many many other add ons.....

2016 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab
    Cummins,G56, Rough Country level, Morimoto LED fog lights, LED headlights, Lund Attitude Steps sprayed with Line-X, DRL's Activated, 35x12.50R18 Falken Wildpeak ATW3, Fuel Vapor Wheels Matte Black w/Dark Tint, A.R.E. Truck cap and swing boxes

6. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes 4kids2dogs&RV, IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

Oh I plan on it. I just wanted to get some opinions to see if I needed to cancel vacation because I'm sure the dealer won't have it fixed in a day and a half.

Dip stick still shows full so I think I'm going to run with it until we get back.

8. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS, watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS, watersupply189 liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

When you stop for fuel check the oil and you'll be OK.

"The grass is greener where you water it"

10. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

I think you should be okay. Looks like a very minor leak. Just check the oil level at every fill up then put it in the shop when you return. Have a great trip!

2016 Ram Laramie 3500, G56, 6.7, MM3 by Double R Diesel, Rough Country Leveling, 35x12.50 Nitto G2, HID headlights and fogs plus many many other add ons.....

2016 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab
    Cummins,G56, Rough Country level, Morimoto LED fog lights, LED headlights, Lund Attitude Steps sprayed with Line-X, DRL's Activated, 35x12.50R18 Falken Wildpeak ATW3, Fuel Vapor Wheels Matte Black w/Dark Tint, A.R.E. Truck cap and swing boxes

12. Top Of Page | #7

Thanks guys!

I appreciate your input.

13. Thanks watersupply189, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  14. Top Of Page | #8
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

A past truck of mine was leaking like that and it was the rocker cover gasket. It goes like this. Valve cover and gasket.

Rocker cover and gasket. Head and gasket. It did not leak enough to show on the dipstick but it made a mess.

I would never cancel a vacation due to a simple leak. My rocker cover gasket took less than a day to fix.

Since your truck is fairly new it could also be a flaw on the mating surfaces that the gasket cant seal.

15. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  16. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Like stated above, you will be fine but keep an eye on it. Also know your underside will not rust for awhile now and you will have a heck of a mess to clean up when you return LOL. Obviously if it starts getting worse or loosing oil you may want to inspect it a little further but there are more people out there adding quite a bit of oil daily and keep on trucking.

Matthew 6:9-13, 2 Corinthians 5:20
    See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email us at:
    sales@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

17. Likes watersupply189 liked this post