Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  5

Thread: My RAM 6.7 Diesel Shuttering / Lugging HELP

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

My RAM 6.7 Diesel Shuttering / Lugging HELP

Hey Cummins owners / fans

I have a 2015 dodge ram 3500 6.7L fully deleted with MM3 Tuner and CCS tunes with trans tunning 38 inch nitto tires plus 22 inch fuel wheels, S&B CAI and a 8 inch bds long arm lift kit with dual stabilizers and a 4 inch MBRP exhaust catback.

I'm pretty new to the diesel family so I'd figure I ask all of you instead of spending thousands of dollars at a dealer to diagnose my problem and I'm sure that's why were all here is to help each other out and save some money so give me a break if you can help me out.

My problem :the issue that the truck is having when I'm pulling my 8000 pound travel trailer up some steep grades it starts to kind of chug and shutter and I lose power at the floor, so I drop the gear down 5/6th to about 4 th gear to get my RPM above 1500 and then its fine and the EGT's start to actually go down.

I just want to know if this is a common issue with diesel's and I just have manually gear down all the time and also (towhaul mode is on ) or is my problem too big of a tire or is it a trans tuning problem idk where to start or if I should go see my diesel mechanic in town?

Attached Images Attached Images

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: My RAM 6.7 Diesel Shuttering / Lugging HELP

Quote Originally Posted by bradley.duckett View Post
    Hey Cummins owners / fans

I have a 2015 dodge ram 3500 6.7L fully deleted with MM3 Tuner and CCS tunes with trans tunning 38 inch nitto tires plus 22 inch fuel wheels, S&B CAI and a 8 inch bds long arm lift kit with dual stabilizers and a 4 inch MBRP exhaust catback.

I'm pretty new to the diesel family so I'd figure I ask all of you instead of spending thousands of dollars at a dealer to diagnose my problem and I'm sure that's why were all here is to help each other out and save some money so give me a break if you can help me out.

My problem :the issue that the truck is having when I'm pulling my 8000 pound travel trailer up some steep grades it starts to kind of chug and shutter and I lose power at the floor, so I drop the gear down 5/6th to about 4 th gear to get my RPM above 1500 and then its fine and the EGT's start to actually go down.

I just want to know if this is a common issue with diesel's and I just have manually gear down all the time and also (towhaul mode is on ) or is my problem too big of a tire or is it a trans tuning problem idk where to start or if I should go see my diesel mechanic in town?
    RPM under 1500 is a dead give away. The solution, don't climb grades in overdrive gears while pulling weight. Stick to 4th during the climb.

Also the tires might be an issue too. Are you regeared for those 38s or running the 3.42s? If you aren't geared, you definitely want to do that for that size tire.

I assume your truck has an AISIN as wel?

2021 3500 Mega HO DRW

3. Likes cumminsdieselfreak liked this post
  4. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Also nice truck. Looks badass

2021 3500 Mega HO DRW

5. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

thanks for the quick response, yeah pretty sure I'm running 3.42 gears and only 68RFE trans. and also shouldn't it automatically shift too a lower gear when climbing and not me doing it automatically ?

6. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bradley.duckett View Post
    thanks for the quick response, yeah pretty sure I'm running 3.42 gears and only 68RFE trans. and also shouldn't it automatically shift too a lower gear when climbing and not me doing it automatically ?
    Gotcha, well with a 68, you DEFINITELY need to regear it. And normally it would, but it sounds like your shift strategy isn't optimized for your tire size & lack of taller gears. Might want to look into having a dedicated tow tune made with a shift strategy built around pulling that kind of weight. But start with the gearing first and see where that gets you. Probably need to be looking at 4.10s or better with 38s

7. Likes HollowSprings, InlineSix.7 liked this post
  8. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Second the 4.10 suggestion 2 thumbs up

2012 Ram 3500 Laramie, 3" BDS Coil over, DuraFlap, 68RFE, 4.10, 35s, Front receiver, Krown protected

9. Thanks RamIt thanked for this post
    Likes RamIt, InlineSix.7 liked this post