Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  1
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: here is something to ponder about Diesel Fuel Lubricity

1. Top Of Page | #1
    guru of all things diesel Canadiandiesel's Avatar

User Info Menu

here is something to ponder about Diesel Fuel Lubricity

This is a PDF of fuel lubricity from CARB and Bosch, quite the interesting read and makes you think

022003bosch.pdf

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

We had a discussion a few months ago about this. Many of us are running 2 cycle oil for this reason. The problem is there is no formula. I've been using about 6z per 15 gal. Better than nothing.

Wally world has an inexpensive gallon of it in the oil section.

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

3. Top Of Page | #3
    Inactive Vendor

User Info Menu

i just use old motor oil. works pretty good

4. Top Of Page | #4
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Compressionign View Post
    i just use old motor oil. works pretty good
    According to tests done, used diesel oil is not very good as a fuel treatment. Some of the older mechanical injected engines seem to tolerate the contaminants from running used engine oil, but high pressure common rail systems do not. I will add that the carbon "husk" produced in later model diesel engines is very abbrasive compared to the carbon "husk" produced by a mechanical injected diesel engine.

One should not run ATF (used or new) in the fuel as ATF has microscopic grit in it to help the clutches grab...not good at all for the injection system.
    '

5. Top Of Page | #5
    Inactive Vendor

User Info Menu

I been in arguments with others on other forums about this subject. So im just going to leave it at that and be done with it. No dont run it in commonrails but mechanical I dont see the problem. .

6. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

The only thing I have to say on that is it has a higher flash point than diesel fuel. Where the Flash point on 2 cycle oil is very close to diesel

S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

7. Top Of Page | #7
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

I have had good luck running 2 stroke oil off and on in our diesel equipment for a few decades now. Some of the CAT opperators I have worked with used to pour a gallon of new engine oil into the fuel tank when they were filling up. They believed it helped to lube the injection system (when low sulfer fuels were introduced) and also add a bit more hp...IMO 2 stroke oil is a better and more cost effective solution.

8. Thanks K-Sons thanked for this post
    Likes K-Sons liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

I use this every fill up 1ounc per 32 gal. Good stuff used if for 4 years now. Little more hp and fuel mileage and runs smoother.

10. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Problem with that stuff is the cost. I like to figure out what it costs me per mile too. I think I paid 12.50 at wally world for a gallon of 2 cycle oil. I use 6 gallons per 1/2 tank. Goes a long way.

I've been using 12z water bottles. I repack the oil in those bottles so it's easier to pour and meter the amount. I'm not too cheap. I have a fuel additive silimar to that which enhances MPG too. But it's expensive as hell. The payback doesn't outweigh the costs with that stuff.

However you do it, it's important to keep those pumps lubed. At least until the pump manufacturers catch up.

11. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

I bet your brain hurts at night with the over thinking you do. I know you make mine hurt. LOL

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast