Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  6

Thread: G56 clutch won’t disengage

1. Top Of Page | #1

G56 clutch won’t disengage

Hi, posted this on Cumminsfourms but thought I would try here as well.

Need to get this solved ASAP as this is my work truck.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Also did the mistake of ordering my tuner of eBay (Diesel Performance of Texas) before reading about DRD so will be contacting him for some tunes once the truck is fixed.

Anyways just going to copy paste what I wrote on CF.

Yesterday I pulled over at a rest area. Got back in the truck, started it and can’t get it into gear. Shut it off, put trans in first and fired it up. Let the clutch out and took off. Had to clutchless shift it the rest of the way and delivering cars. Wasn’t fun around town. I could get it into first rolling at the right rpm but the truck will want to creep forward pressing the clutch pedal. Did my dual mass flywheel take a dump on me. This trip I was loaded around 27k lbs combined.

Truck is deleted but running stock tune no torque management. Hydraulics seem fine, I was getting a intermediate noise in neutral clutch not pressed. Thought it was a throw out bearing. Mostly did it after using sever engine break (down steep hill). I’ve always driven with engine brake on. This last trip truck would make a thump and a jerk when engine brake would engage letting off the gas. Thought maybe it’s my 5th wheel kingpin loose in the trailer housing again (bolt wasn’t fully tight before had a little slope) but would only do it in 5th (direct drive) and with engine brake on.

Need some advice truck only has 24k miles on it.

Really don’t want to be dropping the trans this earlier.

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: G56 clutch won’t disengage

What HP level was you running on your tuner?

"The grass is greener where you water it"

3. Top Of Page | #3

Stock, deleted tune.

4. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Sounds to me like you have an issue with your clutch fork assembly at the very least. Or your clutch bit the dust.
    Since the tranny needs to be dropped for either one, I'd just bet on replacing the clutch with a SMF offering of your liking. Those DMF setups are a failure waiting to happen.

2015 Ram 3500 CCSB SRW 4x4 G56
    2020 Ram 2500 CCSB 4x4 68RFE

Never ending project. Always adding something...

5. Likes walla2k5 liked this post
  6. Top Of Page | #5

That’s what I was afraid of. I’ve read the DMF are weak but was really hoping I would get some use out of it. So far I’ve done about 6k miles towing around 26k combined weight and the throw out bearing noise stated after my first heavy tow about 1000 miles in. I guess I’ll be getting a dual disk.

7. Likes walla2k5 liked this post
  8. Top Of Page | #6

So got the transmission pulled. Definitely a problem with the dual mass flywheel. When I shake it or spin it, it makes noise like pieces of metal are moving around in it. Also found bites of metal in the bell housing of the transmission (clutch area). Oh well once I get a proper clutch and flywheel in, truck will be ready to tow heavy. I was impressed with how the truck pulled grades even loaded around 28k lbs and loved the fact that I hardly needed to use the breaks going down (exhaust brake). Still need to figure out which clutch material I want to go with (organic or ceramic)

Attached Images Attached Images

9. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS, walla2k5 liked this post
  10. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Andystransport View Post
    So got the transmission pulled. Definitely a problem with the dual mass flywheel. When I shake it or spin it, it makes noise like pieces of metal are moving around in it. Also found bites of metal in the bell housing of the transmission (clutch area). Oh well once I get a proper clutch and flywheel in, truck will be ready to tow heavy. I was impressed with how the truck pulled grades even loaded around 28k lbs and loved the fact that I hardly needed to use the breaks going down (exhaust brake). Still need to figure out which clutch material I want to go with (organic or ceramic)
    I have the South Bend SDD3250-GK in my truck. It's a combination organic and ceramic. I've been real happy with it when towing my 8,500-9000lb trailer.

2015 Ram 3500 CCSB SRW 4x4 G56
    2020 Ram 2500 CCSB 4x4 68RFE

Never ending project. Always adding something...

11. Likes walla2k5 liked this post
  12. Top Of Page | #8

Got the clutch installed. Seems to be shifting, but I can feel a little clutch drag trying to put it into gear and shifting.

Nothing like before where it wasn’t going into gear at all.

Went with a south bend dual disk organic.

Feels like stock as far as pedal feel and engagement.

Feel like I should have gone with the organic/ceramic but overall happy with the clutch.

13. Likes walla2k5 liked this post