Thanks Thanks:  9
Likes Likes:  12
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tried to calibrate actuator, running weird now

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Tried to calibrate actuator, running weird now

Okay so I recently bought a 2012 ram 3500 from a buddy, has H&S Mini Maxx with full delete.

He told me the actuator on the turbo needs to be calibrated because he had taken it off to cleaned and put back on.

The exhaust brake was only working at what felt like 60-70%.

I took my truck to another buddy who had an Autell scanner. Returned truck to stock oem tune using H&S.

We took the actuator off, let coolant drain, cleaned both components, while doing this the little black gear on the computer side was moved around, don’t think your supposed to do that, but it happened.

He had an alignment tool that he got when he worked at a dealership that aligns the other moving teeth on the turbo part, aligned that. Then plugged the actuator in without installing. Turns out we couldn’t find the self calibrate on his scanner and he did something on there that said VGT (autozeroed) this point I became worried it wasn’t going to work.

Bolted everything back on, refilled coolant from radiator til air bubbles stopped.

Reinstalled tune.

Took it for a drive. Not good, it’s hard to get it to build boost unless I really get on it and doesn’t seem like it’s building properly. Only getting as high as 14-16psi. When before it would be between 20-30 on a pretty good acceleration. I get on highway and once it gets in 6th gear. It will not downshift no matter how much I push the pedal, it will only downshift if I hit the button or start slowing down then it seems to downshift normally like when I’m coming to a stop.

Have we really screwed something else up?

Do you think if I get the right snap on scanner. It would fix all this?

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Tried to calibrate actuator, running weird now

Alfa OBD has an Actuator alignment feature.

Not sure if this is what you are looking for.

Brent
    2017 Ram 2500 Limited / 6.7 / 68RFE / BDS 8" Lift / 38 x 13.5 Trail Grapplers / 20 x 10 Hostile Wheels
    2020 Ram 2500 Tradesman / 6.7 / 68RFE
    1993 W250 LE / 5.9 12V / G360 - 5 Speed

3. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Yeah we removed it and drained the coolant.

Just trying to see if what we did is why it’s driving like it is, and if I take it to the dealership or find someone with the right scanner that can run the self calibrate, if that will fix what has happened.

4. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Sorry, just realized you were referring to a scanner with that feature LOL, been working long nights!

I’ll look into it.

5. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Glad I paid $100 to be a lifetime member, so much help here!

I’m better off going to Facebook pages.

6. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Giles View Post
    Glad I paid $100 to be a lifetime member, so much help here!

I’m better off going to Facebook pages.
    Friend you have to understand that H&S is dead and no one uses it.

We can't help you as we use the MM3 Tuner.

Sorry.

"The grass is greener where you water it"

7. Thanks cumminsbadgirl thanked for this post
  8. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by IGOTACUMMINS View Post
    Friend you have to understand that H&S is dead and no one uses it.

We can't help you as we use the MM3 Tuner.

Sorry.
    I don’t feel like the tuner matters really since I returned the tune to stock OEM before working on it then simply reinstalling my tune after the work is done.

I don’t believe the problem is in the tuner at all but rather what happened with the actuator.

I’m not an expert but I would think you could tell me what might have happened with the actuator causing my problems.

Sorry just stressed about the whole thing.

I didn’t know this was a MM3 only forum.

9. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Are you sure the actuator is good and not just wore out?

And this isn't just an MM3 forum, its everything Cummins, but we had our H&S Tuner 10 years ago and moved on cause of no support.

"The grass is greener where you water it"

10. Thanks cumminsbadgirl thanked for this post
  11. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Tried to calibrate actuator, running weird now

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Giles View Post
    I don’t feel like the tuner matters really since I returned the tune to stock OEM before working on it then simply reinstalling my tune after the work is done.

I don’t believe the problem is in the tuner at all but rather what happened with the actuator.

I’m not an expert but I would think you could tell me what might have happened with the actuator causing my problems.

Sorry just stressed about the whole thing.

I didn’t know this was a MM3 only forum.
    We're definitely a multi platform forum. But your situation likely exceeds the know how of anyone who's not well versed in FCA tech.

I know my way around these trucks and vehicles in general but I'm stumped on your situation. You've got a multitude of things going on and I don't know where to begin.

The failing to downshift could be related to APPS, poor TCM mapping, solenoid damage, etc.

The boost and EB issues sound like a bad actuator, not sure what else to suggest there.

I may have missed it but do you have any codes?

2021 3500 Mega HO DRW

12. Thanks cumminsbadgirl thanked for this post
    Likes cumminsbadgirl liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

The way i understand it, the actuator needs to be calibrated by itself before you reinstall it if anything was moved. I think it has to do a stepper motor inside the actuator that needs to reset/relearn the range of values. Turbo replacement by the book calls for that to be done along with setting the vanes in the correct position. I think the actuator motor is out of 'alignment'. Try pulling it and recalibrating it before you install it. Alfa obd is only like $50 and you just need a Bluetooth obd reader to use it. It will run both calibrations for you.

Sent from my Nokia 7.1 using Tapatalk

14. Thanks cumminsbadgirl thanked for this post
    Likes cumminsbadgirl liked this post
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast