Thanks Thanks:  9
Likes Likes:  12
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tried to calibrate actuator, running weird now

1. Top Of Page | #11

User Info Menu

Re: Tried to calibrate actuator, running weird now

Quote Originally Posted by cwendel View Post
    The way i understand it, the actuator needs to be calibrated by itself before you reinstall it if anything was moved. I think it has to do a stepper motor inside the actuator that needs to reset/relearn the range of values. Turbo replacement by the book calls for that to be done along with setting the vanes in the correct position. I think the actuator motor is out of 'alignment'. Try pulling it and recalibrating it before you install it. Alfa obd is only like $50 and you just need a Bluetooth obd reader to use it. It will run both calibrations for you.

Sent from my Nokia 7.1 using Tapatalk
    Okay thank you, I’ll see if I can’t order me one. The tuner showed no codes at all when I checked. I think the shifting might just be in my head. I drove it again the other day after reinstalling the tune again to see if maybe it just glitched or something. Seemed to downshift fine. Just not getting much power since like your saying my actuator must be off a bit, I mean it’s gotta be after what I did LOL. We didn’t have the right scan tool to do the self calibrate so I’ll locate one or buy me one and see if that doesn’t fix it. Might just order a remanufactured actuator and just replace it. Any place you recommend to get one from?

2. Top Of Page | #12

User Info Menu

Looks like it’s only on google play store so I can’t get it on my iPhone.

3. Top Of Page | #13

User Info Menu

AlfaOBD is available for PC also on the website, otherwise you could get a cheap android tablet.

Brent
    2017 Ram 2500 Limited / 6.7 / 68RFE / BDS 8" Lift / 38 x 13.5 Trail Grapplers / 20 x 10 Hostile Wheels
    2020 Ram 2500 Tradesman / 6.7 / 68RFE
    1993 W250 LE / 5.9 12V / G360 - 5 Speed

4. Thanks ThatsaCummins4ya thanked for this post
  5. Top Of Page | #14

User Info Menu

Geno's always has stuff in stock, good prices, and fast turn around.

6. Thanks ThatsaCummins4ya thanked for this post
  7. Top Of Page | #15

User Info Menu

Not to hijack the thread but, if you replace the turbo with a complete stock unit, do you have to recalibrate anything or is it plug and play?

16’ 2500
    Medicated by DRD

2016 2500 6.7
    2" Level Kit
    Medicated by DRD

8. Likes ThatsaCummins4ya liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #16

User Info Menu

The way i understand it, the actuator needs to be calibrated by itself before you reinstall it if anything was moved. I think it has to do a stepper motor inside the actuator that needs to reset/relearn the range of values. Turbo replacement by the book calls for that to be done along with setting the vanes in the correct position. I think the actuator motor is out of 'alignment'. Try pulling it and recalibrating it before you install it. Alfa obd is only like $50 and you just need a Bluetooth obd reader to use it. It will run both calibrations for you.

I think that's correct. The only way can think of that might help is to pull the ECM fuse for 10 minutes

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

10. Top Of Page | #17

User Info Menu

Geno's always has stuff in stock, good prices, and fast turn around.

I only see the “upgraded actuator” on Genos which cost twice as much as a new actuator. Not really sure it’s worth it. I haven’t found anyone that’s used one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2012 Ram 3500. Full delete. H&S mini maxx. NextGen valvebody. Fuel Maverick wheels, Toyo MT tires. 35/12.5/20. Amp power steps.

11. Top Of Page | #18

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Giles View Post
    I only see the “upgraded actuator” on Genos which cost twice as much as a new actuator. Not really sure it’s worth it. I haven’t found anyone that’s used one.

Considering it's actually upgraded, and not just some snake oil. It's far more justified.

• It wipes the vanes/self-testing on every key cycle, preventing soot and carbon buildup.
    • The actuator motor has almost twice the torque: This makes it more difficult for the vanes to freeze up and gives you faster throttle response.
    • The actuator was designed from the beginning to work well with EFI-live aftermarket tuners.

12. Likes cwendel liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #19

User Info Menu

Those mods alone are worth the extra price. Especially if you don't need to worry about burning the actuator up because of soot build up.

14. Top Of Page | #20

User Info Menu

Also want to add that I noticed that I can’t hear the turbo at all and it shows zero psi when I push on the throttle while parked. I’m pretty sure I could hear the turbo a little bit even while just idling. Hopefully that helps figure this out. Really wanting to know if my turbo is shot or how to know.

2012 Ram 3500. Full delete. H&S mini maxx. NextGen valvebody. Fuel Maverick wheels, Toyo MT tires. 35/12.5/20. Amp power steps.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast