Thanks Thanks:  16
Likes Likes:  33
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2019 coolant filter install

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

2019 coolant filter install

Hi all,

First time post on this forum. I had searched all over for threads about coolant filters for 2019 ram 2500 and could not find one, so I figured I would post my install and experience with the sinister diesel coolant filter.

There is no coolant filter kit listed for the 2019 Cummins yet, so I ordered the kit that lists 2018 and was expecting the intake boot going to the air filter box to be an issue, which it was. I ended up leaving that intake duct off, but reinstalling the duct that bolts over the radiator with two 10mm hex bolts. Luckily all the instructions for the kit were straight forward and the same, although I did remove both alternator mounting bolts and just laying it out of my way. Also, I used a 1/4 drive wobble extension with a short 1/4 socket to tighten the hose clamp for the hose run to the head, i did not have luck using a screwdriver per the instructions

Here are some pictures of the final product.

2. Top Of Page | #2
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

Re: 2019 coolant filter install

@Wally530

Good write up for the newer truck owners. Many don't consider these filters, but you can only clean out the block so much when they are made. And the left over sand still in the block will come loose over time. When I change my filter each year, I cut them open and still find bits and pieces in the filter. After time, they can be crushed and then its like sandpaper flushing through the coolant. Have you consider an oil bypass filter ?

I hung it off the fire wall on the passenger side. If I can find a picture, I'll add it later.

Attached Images Attached Images

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

3. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AnOldBiker View Post
    @Wally530

Good write up for the newer truck owners. Many don't consider these filters, but you can only clean out the block so much when they are made. And the left over sand still in the block will come loose over time. When I change my filter each year, I cut them open and still find bits and pieces in the filter. After time, they can be crushed and then its like sandpaper flushing through the coolant. Have you consider an oil bypass filter ?

I hung it off the fire wall on the passenger side. If I can find a picture, I'll add it later.
    I have not looked into the oil bypass filter..... yet.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

4. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Wally530 View Post
    Hi all,

First time post on this forum. I had searched all over for threads about coolant filters for 2019 ram 2500 and could not find one, so I figured I would post my install and experience with the sinister diesel coolant filter.

There is no coolant filter kit listed for the 2019 Cummins yet, so I ordered the kit that lists 2018 and was expecting the intake boot going to the air filter box to be an issue, which it was. I ended up leaving that intake duct off, but reinstalling the duct that bolts over the radiator with two 10mm hex bolts. Luckily all the instructions for the kit were straight forward and the same, although I did remove both alternator mounting bolts and just laying it out of my way. Also, I used a 1/4 drive wobble extension with a short 1/4 socket to tighten the hose clamp for the hose run to the head, i did not have luck using a screwdriver per the instructions

So is this just an oil filter plumbed into the cooling system? You'll have to excuse my ignorance but of all the things I've seen, I've never seen a coolant filter.

6. Likes AnOldBiker, watersupply189 liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RamIt View Post
    So is this just an oil filter plumbed into the cooling system? You'll have to excuse my ignorance but of all the things I've seen, I've never seen a coolant filter.
    It looks like an oil filter, but it says coolant filter on it and has it's own part number. It's not uncommon to see them installed on diesels in various applications. It is plumbed into an access port on the head, then just spits it out into the return hose going back to the reservoir.

8. Likes AnOldBiker, watersupply189 liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Hi all,

Welcome friend!! Nice setup and thanks for the write up.

2016 Ram Laramie 3500, G56, 6.7, MM3 by Double R Diesel, Rough Country Leveling, 35x12.50 Nitto G2, HID headlights and fogs plus many many other add ons.....

2016 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab ,G56

10. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

It looks like an oil filter, but it says coolant filter on it and has it's own part number. It's not uncommon to see them installed on diesels in various applications. It is plumbed into an access port on the head, then just spits it out into the return hose going back to the reservoir.

Interesting.

Appreciate the info.

Might look into this whenever my truck shows up!

11. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  12. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Thank You Wally for sharing!

This will definitely be on my list of future mods.

I had a coolant filter on my 01 F250 PSD 7.3L - from Dieselsite.com for $169 & also installed a similar kit on the transmission.

Used the Baldwin coolant filter with the cooling system & a regular spin-on Baldwin oil filter on the transmission.

Water pump lasted right at 300K miles! Average lifespan was 150K.

Thanks again: What was the final talley $$$? If you don't mind sharing.

2017 Bighorn (Delmonico Red & Chrome) CC-HD2500-4WD-6.7L-3:42w/Anti-Spin
    Oil: -SHELL- Rotella T6 5W-40 & T5 15W-40 combo w/LF16035
    68RFE/BW44-46/Power Steering: -Red Line- C+ ATF
    Frontend & Rearend: -Red Line- SAE GL-5 75W-90NS
    Many Small Mods: Interior & Exterior
    Mileage: 28,541

13. Thanks Wally530 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, Wally530 liked this post
  14. Top Of Page | #9
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

Might I suggest putting the coolant out of block to the filter unit between the 5th & 6th cylinder.

In the entire block, the slowest flow of coolant is in this area.

Thus, you're filtering '&' improve cooling for the block.

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

15. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS, watersupply189, Wally530 thanked for this post
  16. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

The kit was around $180, then I got 5 gallons of Mopar coolant. Not sure exact price of the coolant.

On a follow up note, I just changed the filter after about 400 miles and I'm happy I got this thing setup l, alotnof sediment got captured already

17. Likes watersupply189, 4kids2dogs&RV liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast