Thanks Thanks:  12
Likes Likes:  53
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Boost Pressure

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Boost Pressure

Main question (if you dont want to read through everything), what should my boost pressure gauge be reading on the evic?

Ok, so I have a 2015 2500 Tradesman, 6.7, and 68RFE. I bought it used after it was a year old and it had about 50k miles on it. This is my 3rd Ram to own, but first diesel so everything has been a learning opportunity you could say. I bought the truck completely stock and it has always ran great with no problems. Accelerates well and can hear the turbo. I would look at the evic and it would show boost pressure anywhere in the single digits, never double digits. About a year after I got it, I installed a level kit with 35s. I thought the turbo might have to work a little harder with the bigger tires, however, boost still hasn't gotten in the double digits. Now, i just installed the MM3 Tuner from Ray at DRD, delete kit, throttle valve delete, and straight 4" exhaust. Boost is still reading single digit pressures. I have been reading that most are getting in the 20s and trying to keep it below 36 psi.

Any ideas as to why I cant get a good boost reading? Is everything fine and I'm just worried over nothin?

Truck drives great (Ray's tunes are amazing), no smoke, good acceleration. Oh, and yes, the exhaust brake works great too. Since the deletes, I havnt heard the turbo much but I think that's mainly due to hearing the exhaust. Still feel the turbo when it spools up, but the low pressure has me worried.

Thanks for any advice you can offer!

2. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Boost Pressure

28psi is stock pressure.

Are you seeing single digit pressure on the MM3 as well?

4. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Yes on the evic and MM3.

6. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Normal cruising maybe single digits but I'll hit 10psi easily even when driving very mildly while the truck warms up. Can hit mid 30's under heavy acceleration for sure.

Could be way off on this one but possibly clean or replace MAP sensor?

8. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 6.7 Coal Train View Post
    Normal cruising maybe single digits but I'll hit 10psi easily even when driving very mildly while the truck warms up. Can hit mid 30's under heavy acceleration for sure.

Could be way off on this one but possibly clean or replace MAP sensor?
    When I did the deleted, I pulled the MAP sensor and cleaned it. It was completely covered with soot. Maybe I should just get a new one on the safe side.

10. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by redraiders View Post
    When I did the deleted, I pulled the MAP sensor and cleaned it. It was completely covered with soot. Maybe I should just get a new one on the safe side.
    I don't think it could hurt. It's like $30. But maybe someone else has a better idea. If the truck drives fine, you would assume its just some bad readings somehow. I think it would be pretty obvious if you weren't getting any actual boost.

12. Likes watersupply189, redraiders liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

How did you clean the MAP sensor?

14. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RamIt View Post
    How did you clean the MAP sensor?
    I got some maf sensor cleaner from o'Reilly's. Sprayed it down and wiped it off really good. Was planning on taking it off again and scrubbing it with a toothbrush or somethin like that too.

16. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  17. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by redraiders View Post
    I got some maf sensor cleaner from o'Reilly's. Sprayed it down and wiped it off really good. Was planning on taking it off again and scrubbing it with a toothbrush or somethin like that too.
    No don't scrub it. Spray and dry is all you should need to do.

Also if the sensor was bad, you'd likely have major driveability issues. You say the truck drives well and the exhaust brake works well, so this is confusing.

I'd yield to putting an analog boost gauge on the truck and verifying boost pressure before proceeding.

18. Thanks redraiders thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  19. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

Do you have a buddy with a similar year Cummins truck you could drive back to back? Maybe your idea of 'drives great' isn't what the truck is actually doing? +1 on if the MAP sensor was bad, or reading incorrectly, there would probably be drivability issues. You may have a boost leak....

'13 CCSB 6.7
    DRD tuned MM3, deleted, H&S S364SXE, Steed Speed CNC manifold, 5" exhaust, Banks 3.5" intake manifold, grid heater delete, CAT fuel filters, BW44-47 swap, CAD delete w/ one piece axle, Dynatrac free spin, Detroit rear AAM/PW front e-locker, 4.88 Nitro gears, Carli Pintop 3.25", King 2.5, Carli-Deaver leaf packs, Carli radius arms, Carli steering stabilizers, 1" blocks in rear, bronze 20x10 Fuel Coverts, 38x13.50x20 Nitto Ridge Grapplers

20. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast