Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  17

Thread: Stock Ram air intake vs cold air intake

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Stock Ram air intake vs cold air intake

Hey guys, so I recently did a full Egr, DPF delete on my 18 2500 mega cab. My question is some guys say keep the Ram Air system because it works fine with tuning and such. Others say swap it for a cold air system. What’s y’alls thoughts please?

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Stock Ram air intake vs cold air intake

Quote Originally Posted by Deeredad View Post
    Hey guys, so I recently did a full Egr, DPF delete on my 18 2500 mega cab. My question is some guys say keep the Ram Air system because it works fine with tuning and such. Others say swap it for a cold air system. What’s y’alls thoughts please?
    Ram intake is good for 600 hp so unless you have big power goals or want it to look pretty then save your money and get something else

2013 Ram 2500
    John 3:16 - Philippians 4:13

See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    mike@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

3. Likes watersupply189, cumminsbadgirl liked this post
  4. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

So my truck is fully deleted, New I take pipe and CCV deleted. MM3 tuner. What would be the next power gain?

5. Likes watersupply189, cumminsbadgirl liked this post
  6. Top Of Page | #4
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

X2

But if you like to hear more turbo noise, others will let a little more noise out .. at a lot more cost.

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

7. Likes watersupply189, cumminsbadgirl liked this post
  8. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

So my truck is fully deleted, New I take pipe and CCV deleted. MM3 tuner. What would be the next power gain?

9. Likes watersupply189, cumminsbadgirl liked this post
  10. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Turbo for more air is the answer to your question. My recommendation would be transmission upgrade to hold current and future power first.

What’s your power goal and use for the truck?

2013 Ram 2500

FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    mike@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

11. Thanks cumminsbadgirl thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, cumminsbadgirl liked this post
  12. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

TexNexk, thanks for the input.

My power goal is nothing crazy just want a powerful none emission truck, LOL!!!

Ideas on the Tranny, a kit or something or replace the whole thing with something better?

Right now with the stuff I have done I haven’t noticed any issues except I smell coolant at times but I think it’s from the rerouted coolant line to number 6 cylinder.

13. Likes watersupply189, cumminsbadgirl liked this post
  14. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

TexNexk, thanks for the input.

My power goal is nothing crazy just want a powerful none emission truck, LOL!!!

Ideas on the Tranny, a kit or something or replace the whole thing with something better?

Right now with the stuff I have done I haven’t noticed any issues except I smell coolant at times but I think it’s from the rerouted coolant line to number 6 cylinder.
    If nothing crazy (you’re planning on keeping factory turbo) id do a valve body plate by BD if you’re a DIY kinda guy. This will let you increase line pressure to hold more power- from about 180psi to 220. If not a DIY then you could do an aftermarket valve body that’s already assembled to install. Let’s your drop your old one and put up new one(pretty easy). A deep transmission pan with added capacity would be good to do while it’s dropped to keep temps down and it’ll have a plug for easy changes in the future

2013 Ram 2500

FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    mike@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

15. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  16. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Leave the stock intake until you do a 2nd gen swap.

There is literally no point in changing it.

If you want to do anything, either wire the ram air door to a switch so you can open it all the time & close it when it rains.

Or if you live in a desert, then just take the door out until the rainy season.

17. Likes watersupply189 liked this post