Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Trailer controller problems

1. Top Of Page | #1
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Trailer controller problems

Hey all, fairly new here and brand new to the 6.7 Cummins.

I bought a 2012 mega cab 3500 dually, had it shipped to me and it arrived last night. After we pulled it off of the semi, I let it idle in my driveway while I was signing paperwork. Went to take it for a test drive, jumped in the truck and went to put it in drive.

I wasn’t able to pull the truck out of park and got a message saying “trailer brake light disconnected” and the brake controller read “CF”.

I tried to google this issue but everyone was having this issue while a trailer was hooked to the truck. I turned the truck off then on and the message went away and everything was fine. Jumped on the highway and the message popped back up but it ran and drove fine.

Got back to the house, put the truck in park, and it would not shift out of park again. I’m going to check fuses but I wanted to get some other ideas as well.

I will call the dealership and see what they tell me (dealership is 12 hours away from me), no issues were stated in the ad or by the sales lady.

Anyways, here’s my new to me truck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Trailer controller problems

Can you pull the fuse and disconnect that to see what happens?

"The grass is greener where you water it"

4. Top Of Page | #3
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Sorry just got back into service. That will be my first step but I’m currently working 2 hours away from home so when I get back I’ll do that and reply back.

Is this a fairly common problem on these pickups?

5. Top Of Page | #4
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

So there was no fuse in the spot for the brake controller. I put a new fuse in and the problem seemed to go away. But after I did this, cruise control seemed to work when it wanted to, and the brake lights on the pickup wouldn’t come on.

I was driving it around town and the trailer disconnect warning came back on. I checked the fuse, but it wasn’t blown. And then my brake lights started working again.