Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  3

Thread: Trans RFE tune question

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Trans RFE tune question

I was wondering if a trans tune would work by not allowing the TC to lock up? So the clutch's in 5th 6th take the slippage on big loads. Rather the TC takes the slip when hitting bumps and such under towing conditions. Just a newb question.

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Trans RFE tune question

Quote Originally Posted by hotrodfeguy View Post
    I was wondering if a trans tune would work by not allowing the TC to lock up? So the clutch's in 5th 6th take the slippage on big loads. Rather the TC takes the slip when hitting bumps and such under towing conditions. Just a newb question.
    So you are wanting tuning to keep the converter unlocked in 5 and 6?

2013 Ram 2500
    John 3:16 - Philippians 4:13

See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    mike@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

3. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

I'm not an expert. But what you're asking for sounds like a surefire way to destroy your OD clutches.

2021 3500 Mega HO DRW

4. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RamIt View Post
    I'm not an expert. But what you're asking for sounds like a surefire way to destroy your OD clutches.
    X2

16 cummins Laramie longhorn, ccsb, 35x12.5x20 xplora mts ,tis wheels,fully deleted, pusher add a turbo kit,stainless diesel 475 5blade turbo over 63mm VGT delete turbo,manton springs, manton valve bridges,manton pushrods,ARP 625 headstuds,steedspeed t4i manifold , S&S 80% over injectors, thuren rear trackbar, kingspeed billet valve cover, revmax valve body billet plate, CCV reroute, pusher intake horn, thuren 2in level with king 2.5 front and rear, sway bar kit ,track bar and king steering damper. Air bags from airlift. 4" exhaust, fass lift pump,MM3,DRD tunes.pusher coolant reroute.

5. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Keeping the converter unlocked in the higher gears would in theory be easier on the clutches and also easier on the input shaft of the transmission.

BUT.... and its a big but.... The downsides to doing this outweigh the benefits.

Having the converter unlocked will mean that you are relying on the torque converter vanes and stall speed to propel the vehicle all the time. Its just a hydraulic coupling vs a mechanical coupling so you have constant slippage which will overheat your transmission fluid very quickly when towing, especially in the hills. This heat will destroy the transmission.

Also you will loose a lot of efficiency. You will have to turn significantly higher RPM's in the same gear to maintain speed and waste a bunch of fuel as well.

In short, you don't want to do this. Torque converter lockup is your friend!

6. Thanks 4kids2dogs&RV, RamIt thanked for this post
    Likes 4kids2dogs&RV, RamIt liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hotrodfeguy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TexNeck View Post
    So you are wanting tuning to keep the converter unlocked in 5 and 6?
    Quote Originally Posted by RamIt View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bpbertolacini View Post
    X2
    Quote Originally Posted by Aj Grubb View Post
    Keeping the converter unlocked in the higher gears would in theory be easier on the clutches and also easier on the input shaft of the transmission.

BUT.... and its a big but.... The downsides to doing this outweigh the benefits.

Having the converter unlocked will mean that you are relying on the torque converter vanes and stall speed to propel the vehicle all the time. Its just a hydraulic coupling vs a mechanical coupling so you have constant slippage which will overheat your transmission fluid very quickly when towing, especially in the hills. This heat will destroy the transmission.

Also you will loose a lot of efficiency. You will have to turn significantly higher RPM's in the same gear to maintain speed and waste a bunch of fuel as well.

In short, you don't want to do this. Torque converter lockup is your friend!
    DEFINITELY A DEATH WISH FOR THE TRANS.

That's one of the jobs of a torque converter.

They are made to slip when needed.

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

8. Likes david3gen liked this post