Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  13
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Truck won’t start

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Truck won’t start

2005 3500 4x4 Auto. 135K

The issue I have been having recently is sporadic starting problems. It either starts just like it always has or it randomly just cranks and doesn’t start. When it doesn’t start the dash gauges don’t move when the key is in the on position or when cranking and there is a surging sound which I believe is the lift pump. A code that was pulled showed something was wrong with the fan.

The last time it did this I unplugged the fan and plugged it back in. It then started like normal but shortly after started doing the same thing again.

I do run a smarty JR and it seems like it has done this more when it’s programmed than when I remove the programming, but I can’t say that the smarty has anything to do with it for sure.

Anyone else experience this or have any ideas?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Likes 03 unicorn, david3gen liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Truck won’t start

Quote Originally Posted by KimWar1911 View Post
    2005 3500 4x4 Auto. 135K

The issue I have been having recently is sporadic starting problems. It either starts just like it always has or it randomly just cranks and doesn’t start. When it doesn’t start the dash gauges don’t move when the key is in the on position or when cranking and there is a surging sound which I believe is the lift pump. A code that was pulled showed something was wrong with the fan.

The last time it did this I unplugged the fan and plugged it back in. It then started like normal but shortly after started doing the same thing again.

I do run a smarty JR and it seems like it has done this more when it’s programmed than when I remove the programming, but I can’t say that the smarty has anything to do with it for sure.

Anyone else experience this or have any ideas?

Thanks

Hows your voltage? If batteries are low at all the truck will be mad and do strange things

2013 Ram 2500
    John 3:16 - Philippians 4:13

See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    mike@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

4. Likes walla2k5 liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TexNeck View Post
    Hows your voltage? If batteries are low at all the truck will be mad and do strange things
    Voltage a little low upon start up but jumps up to normal shortly after.

6. Likes walla2k5 liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Voltage a little low upon start up but jumps up to normal shortly after.

That's a major issue if your batteries are low. Get them charged up and see what happens. It takes 20 minutes of driving to recharge the batteries.

One thing drew my attention. You said the gauges don't move. Could you possible have a bad ignition switch? Has the wiring been molested in the truck?

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

8. Likes walla2k5 liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Polaraco View Post
    That's a major issue if your batteries are low. Get them charged up and see what happens. It takes 20 minutes of driving to recharge the batteries.

One thing drew my attention. You said the gauges don't move. Could you possible have a bad ignition switch? Has the wiring been molested in the truck?
    Well I ran the truck the other day for 30 minutes or more so the batteries should have been good. They are only a few year old interstates. Went into Home Depot for about 15-20 min and come out to it not starting. The gauges didn’t budge but engine cranked over. Unplugged the fan and plugged it back in and it fired right up like normal, gauges and all. I don’t know about the ignition switch but that sure sounds possible to me. Thanks

10. Likes walla2k5 liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Well I ran the truck the other day for 30 minutes or more so the batteries should have been good. They are only a few year old interstates. Went into Home Depot for about 15-20 min and come out to it not starting. The gauges didn’t budge but engine cranked over. Unplugged the fan and plugged it back in and it fired right up like normal, gauges and all. I don’t know about the ignition switch but that sure sounds possible to me. Thanks

30 mins of idling likely would not charge batteries much and a few years old likely are worn and tired. Driving getting RPMs up is best for recharging. These trucks pull a lot of voltage to start. My guess is Unplugging the fan is relieving the batteries just enough to crank. I’ve had my 06 die on me and the radio/gauges are the first things to be cut off by computer to try and save voltage to keep the motor going. I would pull both batteries and have them load tested. If they need replacing hopefully you can have them prorated if they are not too old. Keep us posted

2013 Ram 2500

FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    mike@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

12. Likes AK Bob, walla2k5 liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

30 mins of idling likely would not charge batteries much and a few years old likely are worn and tired. Driving getting RPMs up is best for recharging. These trucks pull a lot of voltage to start. My guess is Unplugging the fan is relieving the batteries just enough to crank. I’ve had my 06 die on me and the radio/gauges are the first things to be cut off by computer to try and save voltage to keep the motor going. I would pull both batteries and have them load tested. If they need replacing hopefully you can have them prorated if they are not too old. Keep us posted
    That is great info. And to clarify I drove it for 30 minutes or so prior to parking it and running into the store. Thanks a lot for the info. I have a diesel tech coming in a few days to look at it and will mention this info to him. Thanks

14. Likes walla2k5 liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Well pulled the interstates and had them tested. They are good. Hopefully we can get it figured out tomorrow

16. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Well pulled the interstates and had them tested. They are good. Hopefully we can get it figured out tomorrow

Did they use a scanner or cycle key to check for stored codes?

2013 Ram 2500

FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    mike@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

17. Likes cumminsdieselfreak liked this post
  18. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

x2 on do you have any codes? Also, the dash not responding to the key on makes me also think that your switch maybe be faulty. If it's not sending power/data to the gauges then it may not be getting power/data elsewhere.

2018 Ram 2500 4x4 G56
    Romans 10:13

FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    joe@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast