Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  24
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: vibration/hum at highway speeds. What to troubleshoot

1. Top Of Page | #11

User Info Menu

Re: vibration/hum at highway speeds. What to troubleshoot

Do you feel it in the brake pedal at all? My gf's car had a wicked vibration above 70 and I changed the front rotors to get rid of it. They looked totally fine even when I put them on an inspection plate but still went away when I changed them.

I have also had some tires that looked totally fine but had a broken belt that I replaced and had a huge change in the ride quality. I had forgot what it felt like to drive so smooth.

2. Likes 03 unicorn liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #12

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxx View Post
    Do you feel it in the brake pedal at all? My gf's car had a wicked vibration above 70 and I changed the front rotors to get rid of it. They looked totally fine even when I put them on an inspection plate but still went away when I changed them.

I have also had some tires that looked totally fine but had a broken belt that I replaced and had a huge change in the ride quality. I had forgot what it felt like to drive so smooth.
    That's a good point. He could have a stuck caliper

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

4. Top Of Page | #13

User Info Menu

Here's the closure on this... took truck to shop (I don't trust ANY mechanics). They replaced right rear bearing and e-brake shoes (said there was some oil leakage from bad bearing, ok, fine. I also had them replace my brakes and front rotors and the output seal on xfer case (needed repairs anyway). They said the drive shaft u-joints were fine. Vibration was still there (keep in mind it is a slight vibration, nothing dramatic like a stuck caliper)... They said it could still be tire related and told me to get the tires load balanced. This didn't pass the sniff test for me b/c when I rotated the tires, there was zero change in the symptom. Picked the truck up Friday morning ($1770 later) and drove to work. when leaving work had the windows down in the parking garage and heard some clattering noise. did visual inspection and saw nothing out of the ordinary. my son and i left for the gym last night and heard it again. Had my son stick his head out the window to isolate where it was coming from. Front right wheel. Turned around and went home. Jacked truck up and sure enough the front passenger wheel had obvious slop in it. Bearing hub assy was shot. So a friend helped me replace it. Problem gone...no more vibration. Again, the shop did do some work that i needed done, but this was too obvious to have missed. Not to mention when I got my truck back it smelled like @ss inside. wtf?

5. Likes 03 unicorn, Power247 liked this post
  6. Top Of Page | #14

User Info Menu

...edit, picked the truck up Wednesday morning and drove it to work, not Friday. We have a new puppy and I've not gotten more than 4 hrs sleep in 2+ weeks LOL. Lost track of time.

7. Likes 03 unicorn liked this post
  8. Top Of Page | #15

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Wookiee View Post
    Here's the closure on this... took truck to shop (I don't trust ANY mechanics). They replaced right rear bearing and e-brake shoes (said there was some oil leakage from bad bearing, ok, fine. I also had them replace my brakes and front rotors and the output seal on xfer case (needed repairs anyway). They said the drive shaft u-joints were fine. Vibration was still there (keep in mind it is a slight vibration, nothing dramatic like a stuck caliper)... They said it could still be tire related and told me to get the tires load balanced. This didn't pass the sniff test for me b/c when I rotated the tires, there was zero change in the symptom. Picked the truck up Friday morning ($1770 later) and drove to work. when leaving work had the windows down in the parking garage and heard some clattering noise. did visual inspection and saw nothing out of the ordinary. my son and i left for the gym last night and heard it again. Had my son stick his head out the window to isolate where it was coming from. Front right wheel. Turned around and went home. Jacked truck up and sure enough the front passenger wheel had obvious slop in it. Bearing hub assy was shot. So a friend helped me replace it. Problem gone...no more vibration. Again, the shop did do some work that i needed done, but this was too obvious to have missed. Not to mention when I got my truck back it smelled like @ss inside. wtf?
    I'm glad you figured it out.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12